LLM grade capped due to one failed module

Watch this thread
legalbeagle1990
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I had to resubmit a piece of coursework in January after narrowly missing out on a pass, and I have been informed by the University that my final grade shall now be capped at a pass.

I completed all of my first exams with marks in the 60's, but I feel it is a bit unfair of them to cap my entire grade over a single piece of coursework. Apparently you have to pass every assessment the first time in order to be awarded a commendation.

I could, at least in theory, end up with a final mark of 70+, but still be awarded a mere pass at the end. Is this typical of postgraduate courses?
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
They tend to be very strict, yeah.
legalbeagle1990
Rep:
(Original post by Notoriety)
They tend to be very strict, yeah.
I can understand them capping the mark for the failed assignment, but not the entire course. Right now I'm sitting on 64%, but I may as well just half-arse the rest of course.
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by legalbeagle1990)
I can understand them capping the mark for the failed assignment, but not the entire course. Right now I'm sitting on 64%, but I may as well just half-arse the rest of course.
Happens to a lot people. All you can do is have your transcript paint you in a better light and redeem you.
DarkChaoz95
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Well to be honest, this is postgraduate course, it's kind of expected to be much stricter. I presume your doing the LPC too? Or doing the LLM standalone?
legalbeagle1990
Rep:
(Original post by DarkChaoz95)
Well to be honest, this is postgraduate course, it's kind of expected to be much stricter. I presume your doing the LPC too? Or doing the LLM standalone?
No, it is not the LPC. I am a bit miffed as I was on track for a commendation, but I may as well just stay in bed for the rest of the course and blag the exams. I think it would be fairer to award the grade on the basis of your end results.
Last edited by legalbeagle1990; 3 years ago
princessmaire80
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I scraped a Merit in my MA by the skin of my teeth despite working my backside off. Postgraduate courses are very strict and very harsh and very hard! I managed to pass everything first time (only just on some occasions) but as there are less credits to a Masters then I’m not surprised.
Just be careful though- blagging may not be easy as you think and you could end up failing entirely!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (15)
28.3%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (22)
41.51%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
3.77%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
5.66%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
7.55%
I’m starting to consider my university options (6)
11.32%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (0)
0%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
1.89%

Watched Threads