The Student Room Group

LLM grade capped due to one failed module

I had to resubmit a piece of coursework in January after narrowly missing out on a pass, and I have been informed by the University that my final grade shall now be capped at a pass.

I completed all of my first exams with marks in the 60's, but I feel it is a bit unfair of them to cap my entire grade over a single piece of coursework. Apparently you have to pass every assessment the first time in order to be awarded a commendation.

I could, at least in theory, end up with a final mark of 70+, but still be awarded a mere pass at the end. Is this typical of postgraduate courses?
They tend to be very strict, yeah.
Original post by Notoriety
They tend to be very strict, yeah.

I can understand them capping the mark for the failed assignment, but not the entire course. Right now I'm sitting on 64%, but I may as well just half-arse the rest of course.
Original post by legalbeagle1990
I can understand them capping the mark for the failed assignment, but not the entire course. Right now I'm sitting on 64%, but I may as well just half-arse the rest of course.

Happens to a lot people. All you can do is have your transcript paint you in a better light and redeem you.
Well to be honest, this is postgraduate course, it's kind of expected to be much stricter. I presume your doing the LPC too? Or doing the LLM standalone?
Original post by DarkChaoz95
Well to be honest, this is postgraduate course, it's kind of expected to be much stricter. I presume your doing the LPC too? Or doing the LLM standalone?

No, it is not the LPC. I am a bit miffed as I was on track for a commendation, but I may as well just stay in bed for the rest of the course and blag the exams. I think it would be fairer to award the grade on the basis of your end results.
(edited 5 years ago)
I scraped a Merit in my MA by the skin of my teeth despite working my backside off. Postgraduate courses are very strict and very harsh and very hard! I managed to pass everything first time (only just on some occasions) but as there are less credits to a Masters then I’m not surprised.
Just be careful though- blagging may not be easy as you think and you could end up failing entirely!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending