Downsides of Dentistry + what else do they do other than treat patients

Watch
Hamzahhhx
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Can anyone please enlighten me on both the questions of...
-What are the downsides of dentistry?
-What do dentists do other than treat patients?
ambzzzz
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Downsides
-Constantly busy, practices are always full of patients, each dentist has a lot of patients (if working for NHS)
-Patients may not be happy with your work even when you’ve tried your best
-it’s so easy to fall behind schedule and run late making patients annoyed

Other roles
-They should promote good oral health and give advice to patients even if they have healthy teeth
-They may do research to further the dentistry field and so work in a lab, not a general dental practice
-They may actually design new dental product e.g new materials to use with better properties -They may teach students e.g uni lecturers
-You can go into the business side of Dentistry and open many practices and become the owner/manager instead of the actual dentist
Last edited by ambzzzz; 1 year ago
Hamzahhhx
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by ambercairney)
Downsides
-Constantly busy, practices are always full of patients, each dentist has a lot of patients (if working for NHS)
-Patients may not be happy with your work even when you’ve tried your best
-it’s so easy to fall behind schedule and run late making patients annoyed

Other roles
-They should promote good oral health and give advice to patients even if they have healthy teeth
-They may do research to further the dentistry field and so work in a lab, not a general dental practice
-They may actually design new dental product e.g new materials to use with better properties -They may teach students e.g uni lecturers
-You can go into the business side of Dentistry and open many practices and become the owner/manager instead of the actual dentist
Thank you!!!
How would you overcome the downsides and “deal” with them?
ambzzzz
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Hamzahhhx)
Thank you!!!
How would you overcome the downsides and “deal” with them?
Hmm it’s hard to deal with the fact you have a lot of patients, I don’t think that can be fixed really as it’s up to the government how many places there are available to study dentistry so there’s no way of really increasing the amount of dentists other than maybe to source them from other countries but that already happens.

There’s no way of changing a persons opinion of your work either, so all you can do is be very honest if you think a procedure may not work or if you are having difficulties at any point while treating the patient and make sure their expectations are realistic.

And for the timing issue, just be very apologetic if you are running late and make sure the patients are aware of the time delay at all times. Also if a procedure isn’t urgent don’t attempt it if you have little time left, book the patient in for the next day.
Parsa7899
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Dentists can also perform small cosmetic surgeries and procedures if they take some short course.
As a dentist you’ll need to learn a lot about head and neck anatomy such that when you look at someone you’ll spot all the anatomical features 😁
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (68)
17.94%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (108)
28.5%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (143)
37.73%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (48)
12.66%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (12)
3.17%

Watched Threads