The Student Room Group

how did u guys revise for a level psychology

just wondering about different technqiues et. any tips nd advice wud be helpful
I did Psychology at AS Level last year. The teacher was really intense and I worked my butt off but I managed to receive an A at AS Level.
My general advice is to go over the content once it's been covered in class, not at the end when exams are imminent. I also made a revision timetable detailing specific days when I would be revising Psychology and when to do them. That way, I would revise without wasting my time.

I also did so many questions for revision. Because it was a new specification, there weren't many past papers available but the textbook I had provided many types of questions ranging from 3 marks to 12. Doing these tested my knowledge and I became harsh in my own marking as a means to improve.
I also attempted papers under timed conditions. One of the biggest issues in my exams is timing, and I still have this problem to this day, but doing past papers under timed conditions not only tests your knowledge but your time management. This really paid off because I finished both exams within the given time.

As for notes, it's mostly up to you, but I find making coloured notes and keeping a folder kept my organisation up to scratch. As for answering questions, I strictly kept to a PEEL structure (Point, Evidence, Explain, Link). With that structure, I was able to ensure that not only I was placing the correct content within the answer, but I was also answering the question at hand.

Hope that helps!:smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Maimuna_May
I did Psychology at AS Level last year. The teacher was really intense and I worked my butt off but I managed to receive an A at AS Level.
My general advice is to go over the content once it's been covered in class, not at the end when exams are imminent. I also made a revision timetable detailing specific days when I would be revising Psychology and when to do them. That way, I would revise without wasting my time.

I also did so many questions for revision. Because it was a new specification, there weren't many past papers available but the textbook I had provided many types of questions ranging from 3 marks to 12. Doing these tested my knowledge and I became harsh in my own marking as a means to improve.
I also attempted papers under timed conditions. One of the biggest issues in my exams is timing, and I still have this problem to this day, but doing past papers under timed conditions not only tests your knowledge but your time management. This really paid off because I finished both exams within the given time.

As for notes, it's mostly up to you, but I find making coloured notes and keeping a folder kept my organisation up to scratch. As for answering questions, I strictly kept to a PEEL structure (Point, Evidence, Explain, Link). With that structure, I was able to ensure that not only I was placing the correct content within the answer, but I was also answering the question at hand.

Hope that helps!:smile:

thank you sooooooooo much thats rlly helpful!
Original post by gurlll
just wondering about different technqiues et. any tips nd advice wud be helpful

Definitely do loads of past papers and practice questions wherever you can. I did A Level Psychology last year and was aiming for an A/B but only got a C because I didn't do any past question practice since we didn't have any :s-smilie: Also, it varies for each exam board but our Edexcel one focused loads on Research Methods, which neither us or our teachers paid enough attention to. We also structured our essays in GRAVE - Generalisability, Reliability, Application, Validity and Evidence + conclusion - For the Studies. And EAST - Evidence, Application, Shortcomings and Alternative + conclusion - For the Theories. I also used the website: 'Psychology Wizard' which was super useful as it caters to A level Psychology.:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest