The Student Room Group

On the pill - when should period stop?

I’ve always taken two packs back to back and taken a 7 day break in between.

My break ended on Thursday and I started taking the pill again on Friday. It’s now Monday and I am still bleeding! Usually by the weekend I would have stopped bleeding.

How long after taking the pill does ilur period end?

I’m frustrated because Saturday I had a few tiny clots and bright red blood in the day and by the evening there was barely anything happening. Sunday I’m still bleeding dark red blood, not majorly heavy but still on my period. It feels as though I’d started flooding again at any time. Anyone had any similar experiences? Any advice would be great.

Thanks in advance
it’s not good to keep taking more than one pack without a weeks rest, only do it if you really have to. my friend had a similar issue, but she took three packs back to back. it was fine at first and seemed like a great idea, but then it completely messed up her period and she had no idea when it was coming or when it’d go away. so now she’s back to one pack a month and her period is back to normal.
Original post by Anonymous
it’s not good to keep taking more than one pack without a weeks rest, only do it if you really have to. my friend had a similar issue, but she took three packs back to back. it was fine at first and seemed like a great idea, but then it completely messed up her period and she had no idea when it was coming or when it’d go away. so now she’s back to one pack a month and her period is back to normal.

Hi there

Just so you know, there's new guidance from the Faculty of Sexual and Reproductive Health stating there are three ways to take the combined pill:

1 You can take it every day for 21 days, followed by a 4 or 7 day break
2 You can take it for 9 weeks followed by a break for 4 or 7 days
3 You can also take the pill packets continuously

So basically, it's ok to run the pill packets together.
Original post by Anonymous
I’ve always taken two packs back to back and taken a 7 day break in between.

My break ended on Thursday and I started taking the pill again on Friday. It’s now Monday and I am still bleeding! Usually by the weekend I would have stopped bleeding.

How long after taking the pill does ilur period end?

I’m frustrated because Saturday I had a few tiny clots and bright red blood in the day and by the evening there was barely anything happening. Sunday I’m still bleeding dark red blood, not majorly heavy but still on my period. It feels as though I’d started flooding again at any time. Anyone had any similar experiences? Any advice would be great.

Thanks in advance

Hi there

There's new guidance about how to take the combined pill. It's best to stick to one of these three methods.

1 You can take it every day for 21 days, followed by a 4 or 7-day break
2 You can take it for 9 weeks followed by a break for 4 or 7 days
3 You can also take the pill packets continuously

Sometimes a withdrawal bleed can be a little different and that’s ok. Have you been taking it for a while? Sometimes it takes a little time to settle down. If its heavier than normal or you are worried about it then it's wise to get it checked out by a doctor or nurse. It could also be a symptom of an STI, so it would be worth getting tested just in case.

Daisy

Quick Reply

Latest