i need help i want to get into sixth form SO bad man i need 5 4's Watch

mazzystar111
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
i've always been a good student in class, however i'm awful at exams and really struggle with revising due to many issues. i had to take lots of time off school because of mental health,and before i took the time of i was not taking in any information and was always late.my mental health is still quite bad not gonna lie, but not as bad as it was.because of these reasons i'm rlly not expecting to pass my gcses .however if i don't pass then i can't get into sixth form, which is rlly all i want atm!!if i don't pass i have to go to collage for 3 years which ngl i don't want.i rlly want to get into sixth form because my close friends are going there so i won't have to make friends on the first day ,and i'm shy so that's my worst nightmare aha.also the school has a rlly good music department .there's lots more reasons but this is so long already .PLEASE give me any tips on getting these grades.
English Language-4
English Lit-4
RS-4
Music-4
Maths-4
pls pls pls help!!! i'm doing my mocks right now(jus finished my first one agghhh) and when i get my results i'll put them on : )
this message is all over the place but i'm STRESSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Last edited by mazzystar111; 3 months ago
cheesecakelove
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by mazzystar111)
i've always been a good student in class, however i'm awful at exams and really struggle with revising due to many issues. i had to take lots of time off school because of mental health,and before i took the time of i was not taking in any information and was always late.my mental health is still quite bad not gonna lie, but not as bad as it was.because of these reasons i'm rlly not expecting to pass my gcses .however if i don't pass then i can't get into sixth form, which is rlly all i want atm!!if i don't pass i have to go to collage for 3 years which ngl i don't want.i rlly want to get into sixth form because my close friends are going there so i won't have to make friends on the first day ,and i'm shy so that's my worst nightmare aha.also the school has a rlly good music department .there's lots more reasons but this is so long already .PLEASE give me any tips on getting these grades.
English Language-4
English Lit-4
RS-4
Music-4
Maths-4
pls pls pls help!!! i'm doing my mocks right now(jus finished my first one agghhh) and when i get my results i'll put them on : )
this message is all over the place but i'm STRESSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Does your school know about your mental health problems?

Do you understand the general content in your lessons? If not, ask your teacher for more help.

If the problem lies in your approach to exams, you need to find a way to improve this. Go over the topics of your subjects and make clear and concise notes which are easier to remember. For essay subjects like English and RS, you may wish to create essay plan on potential topics that may appear in the exam, and then bullet point this one so it is easier for you to remember.

Practice papers or questions are a good form of revision. You may wish to sit in exam conditions so you can practice your time management and organisation. You can ask for your teacher for feedback or compare to the mark scheme. It usually highlights areas you are stronger at, and also areas that you are weaker at and should target for further revision.
sophswfc4
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
A painstaking (but ultimately helpful) process is to download the spec sheets, print them (or do it digitally) and highlight in 3 different colours what you definitely understand, what you sort of do but need a bit of help or more time to understand and what you really have NO clue about. My geography teacher printed us in depth, broken down specification sheets that include 3 columns for us to indicate how we felt about them and it made me feel so much more at ease when trying to establish what to prioritise when revising. As you mentioned mental health issues, by talking to friends and using my own experiences I found that being organised was the most important factor in staying on track. I broke down to my family around a month before the exams over my lack of organisation of revision notes/folders etc (I am a very disorganised person and I'm usually fine with it) and they were SO helpful and supportive, my sister took me shopping for new folders and revision materials (books and the like) and it made me feel like I was set up to revise. Thats half the battle. Have some one on one time with your teachers (I know its hard when you're shy and don't like 1 to 1 situations but honestly its so helpful to get clarity on what YOU want to know, rather than 10 people at an intervention session and 30 in a normal lesson) and tell them how you feel, what you don't understand etc. Hope this helps!
mazzystar111
Rep:
?
thanks! Original post by sophswfc4)A painstaking (but ultimately helpful) process is to download the spec sheets, print them (or do it digitally) and highlight in 3 different colours what you definitely understand, what you sort of do but need a bit of help or more time to understand and what you really have NO clue about. My geography teacher printed us in depth, broken down specification sheets that include 3 columns for us to indicate how we felt about them and it made me feel so much more at ease when trying to establish what to prioritise when revising. As you mentioned mental health issues, by talking to friends and using my own experiences I found that being organised was the most important factor in staying on track. I broke down to my family around a month before the exams over my lack of organisation of revision notes/folders etc (I am a very disorganised person and I'm usually fine with it) and they were SO helpful and supportive, my sister took me shopping for new folders and revision materials (books and the like) and it made me feel like I was set up to revise. Thats half the battle. Have some one on one time with your teachers (I know its hard when you're shy and don't like 1 to 1 situations but honestly its so helpful to get clarity on what YOU want to know, rather than 10 people at an intervention session and 30 in a normal lesson) and tell them how you feel, what you don't understand etc. Hope this helps!
mazzystar111
Rep:
?
<33333 (Original post by cheesecakelove)Does your school know about your mental health problems?

Do you understand the general content in your lessons? If not, ask your teacher for more help.

If the problem lies in your approach to exams, you need to find a way to improve this. Go over the topics of your subjects and make clear and concise notes which are easier to remember. For essay subjects like English and RS, you may wish to create essay plan on potential topics that may appear in the exam, and then bullet point this one so it is easier for you to remember.

Practice papers or questions are a good form of revision. You may wish to sit in exam conditions so you can practice your time management and organisation. You can ask for your teacher for feedback or compare to the mark scheme. It usually highlights areas you are stronger at, and also areas that you are weaker at and should target for further revision.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of West London
    Undergraduate Open Day - West London Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 2 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (414)
18.63%
The paper was reasonable (1054)
47.43%
Not feeling great about that exam... (493)
22.19%
It was TERRIBLE (261)
11.75%

Watched Threads