Have I made a rash decision? (Wrong degree choice?)

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Ok, so I've applied to do Psychology at Uni, however I'm having doubts as to whether this was a good choice or not and I am wondering whether I should have chosen to do a Degree in Ocean Science instead.

At A-level I do Physics, Maths and PE (predicted A in Maths, B in Physics) ... but I chose to apply for Psychology because I did a few Psychology courses online which I found quite interesting and the degree modules look really interesting.

I've received offers for Psychology from all the Universities I've applied to, but I haven't put down my firm and insurance choices yet.

The trouble is that I think I should have applied for Ocean Science instead because it has:
A) Higher Average Graduate Annual Salary (difference of £2,000) and Higher Average Annual Salary in the long term (difference of £2,500)
B) I've discovered that Psychology is very popular and probably oversubscribed (whereas Ocean Sciences isn't) therefore it would be easier to find work with an Ocean Sciences Degree. Also Ocean Sciences is probably more of a STEM subject than Psychology which makes it probably more valuable.
C) I will be able to apply and build on my Physics and Maths knowledge, so maybe this course is more suited to me.

Or maybe I should stick with Psychology because:
A) It looks interesting and I've already got the offers
B) A higher percentage of students get a 2:1 or above at my fav Uni (difference of 21%)
C) I will be using my maths skills for the stats side of the course.

Maths is good, but I don't love Physics, Biology and Chemistry to be honest - I can live with it though. Whereas although Psychology looks very interesting I've never done a proper qualification in it before, so I don't really know. Essay writing isn't something I love, but I enjoy Maths. I'm very undecided.

What do you guys think? Should I have chosen Ocean Science over Psychology?

And if I did want to change to an Ocean Science Degree (starting in September 2019), how can I do this when I've already got 5 offers for Psychology?
liposaccharide
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
deleted
Last edited by liposaccharide; 1 month ago
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Ok, so I've applied to do Psychology at Uni, however I'm having doubts as to whether this was a good choice or not and I am wondering whether I should have chosen to do a Degree in Ocean Science instead.

At A-level I do Physics, Maths and PE (predicted A in Maths, B in Physics) ... but I chose to apply for Psychology because I did a few Psychology courses online which I found quite interesting and the degree modules look really interesting.

I've received offers for Psychology from all the Universities I've applied to, but I haven't put down my firm and insurance choices yet.

The trouble is that I think I should have applied for Ocean Science instead because it has:
A) Higher Average Graduate Annual Salary (difference of £2,000) and Higher Average Annual Salary in the long term (difference of £2,500)
B) I've discovered that Psychology is very popular and probably oversubscribed (whereas Ocean Sciences isn't) therefore it would be easier to find work with an Ocean Sciences Degree. Also Ocean Sciences is probably more of a STEM subject than Psychology which makes it probably more valuable.
C) I will be able to apply and build on my Physics and Maths knowledge, so maybe this course is more suited to me.

Or maybe I should stick with Psychology because:
A) It looks interesting and I've already got the offers
B) A higher percentage of students get a 2:1 or above at my fav Uni (difference of 21%)
C) I will be using my maths skills for the stats side of the course.

Maths is good, but I don't love Physics, Biology and Chemistry to be honest - I can live with it though. Whereas although Psychology looks very interesting I've never done a proper qualification in it before, so I don't really know. Essay writing isn't something I love, but I enjoy Maths. I'm very undecided.

What do you guys think? Should I have chosen Ocean Science over Psychology?

And if I did want to change to an Ocean Science Degree (starting in September 2019), how can I do this when I've already got 5 offers for Psychology?
I'm going to be blunt. You're wanting to decide the next 3+ years of your university education and future career based on the difference of £2000 in salary or the fact that one subject has a higher percentage of 2:1 grades? That sounds really petty and seriously not how you should be deciding your future.

Do the subject you want to do. Work towards a goal/career that you're interested in. Do you know anything about a Psychology degree or Ocean Science degree? If not, then buy a university level book and do some reading because for the next 3+ years, that will be your life.
Anonymous #2
Report 2 years ago
if they gave you and offer for psychology, email the 5 universities (if hey have the ocean science course) and ask if they can offer it to you. I switched my offer from English literature to psychology. but I hope you chose psychology if you are interested. I am in my second term into my course and loving it. It isn't heavily essay based but there are a lot of statistical analysis so maths will really come in handy. (most of the people don't like the statistical aspect of this course and this is where they lose their grades) so if you are good with maths, this course would really fit for you.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
if they gave you and offer for psychology, email the 5 universities (if hey have the ocean science course) and ask if they can offer it to you. I switched my offer from English literature to psychology. but I hope you chose psychology if you are interested. I am in my second term into my course and loving it. It isn't heavily essay based but there are a lot of statistical analysis so maths will really come in handy. (most of the people don't like the statistical aspect of this course and this is where they lose their grades) so if you are good with maths, this course would really fit for you.
Only one of the Universities I applied for have an Ocean Science course. All the other Unis are very much inland so they don't have anything similar either.
Do you think it would be weird to have an Ocean Science course as my firm choice and a Psychology course as my insurance? I am confident I will get the grades for Ocean Science, but if I end up doing Psychology it probably won't feel like the end of the world because I think I would still find it interesting
doodle_333
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Don't over think the money aspect, there's huge differences between high and low earners on every course anyway.

Think about what you enjoy and what you don't. Psychology will be hugely essay based, even exams will be essays, it will also be minimal contact time and lots of independent reading. Will you enjoy That? Think what ocean science involves and ask yourself the same question.

Also think what job you might like to do at the end and which course is most likely to lead to a job you're interested in.

Finally... If you change your mind, take a gap year and reapply. It's one year. It's not a big thing. But your degree choice will affect your career for 40 years, it's worth getting it right.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (6)
50%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (2)
16.67%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (1)
8.33%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (0)
0%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (2)
16.67%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (0)
0%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (1)
8.33%

Watched Threads