nabid61
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
So I'm doing a Law degree at a really poor ranked university, that being Westminster. I would have thought about carrying on for the second and third year but from my experience of my work being extremely poorly marked without any proper judgement (after all it is a pretty sh*tty uni) and complete lack of regard from the moderators about the marking, as well as their attitude towards the issue, it has really left me to consider my stance on whether I can possibly come out of the university with a First, despite how close my work is to being a first, whether that be for exams or assignments. On top of that, it gives them more of a reason to f*ck students over because, and I quote from the module leader, they "never get issues like this." Well, of course, they won't, because none of the student's at Westminster don't seem to care about their degree and future or don't seem to want to voice their opinions if they do. Not surprised. After all, they are Westminster students.

I've made a whole thread about this which I have linked below.

As a result, I am considering dropping out, retaking the A-level modules that I didn't do too well on, which you can most likely gather considering I ended up at a Westminster university and getting into Queen Mary through clearing. UCL and KCL don't offer to clear for LLB so those are not options. Would this be a wise decision as I have already wasted a year of my life? If I were to do this, I would waste yet another year and would come out of uni at 23. I feel as though it would only if I would drastically change my career prospects.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...4#post81859464 - My thread regarding the complete disregard of their students' work and complete lack of judgement in the marking and moderation process by Westminster University. Extremely disgusting attitude from this university. I am planning on making this public and show the public how terribly this university treats its students.
random_matt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Wait, you are close to receiving firsts?
nabid61
Rep:
?
(Original post by random_matt)
Wait, you are close to receiving firsts?
I have linked my previous thread here. That will explain my situation further. That was another discussion, which I am still raising to the university. That has led me to considerer dropping out, wasting another year, redoing A-level papers (A2 papers), clearing etc. Before that I thought to myself I've ended up here, which is unfortunate, but if I produce outstanding work, then I should come out with a First. Maybe if I had gotten something around 65 I wouldn't consider all this because it would mean I was marked reasonably. But 50? When it should have at least been 60. So what if it's 70, it means I won't get 70, but instead 60.
Last edited by nabid61; 1 year ago
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Be careful of the Dunning-Kruger effect...
random_matt
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by PhoenixFortune)
I just call those narcissists.
nabid61
Rep:
?
I am aware of the Dunning-Kruger effect. There's a difference between the Dunning-Kruger effect and ambition.
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by nabid61)
I am aware of the Dunning-Kruger effect. There's a difference between the Dunning-Kruger effect and ambition.
I'm just saying that you don't know for sure that your work didn't deserve a 50, unless you were also a lecturer trained in marking for your subject.
nabid61
Rep:
?
Already got it checked by another tutor who also marked it who said it should be at least 60. That's why I linked the other thread so that you can see the issue in detail. Anyway, I use this site for useful threads and advice only. Regardless, this thread isn't about that issue, so please don't comment unnecessarily unless you have good advice.
J Papi
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
As a result, I am considering dropping out, retaking the A-level modules that I didn't do too well on, which you can most likely gather considering I ended up at a Westminster university and getting into Queen Mary through clearing. UCL and KCL don't offer to clear for LLB so those are not options. Would this be a wise decision as I have already wasted a year of my life? If I were to do this, I would waste yet another year and would come out of uni at 23. I feel as though it would only if I would drastically change my career prospects.
It's already the end of February. You won't have time to prepare to sit A-levels properly if you aim to sit them this summer.

One of your options is to drop out now, try studying 3 A-levels from scratch during the next 15 months (you'll obviously need to take a gap year for this), and sit them in summer 2020, with a view to starting your new degree from scratch in autumn 2020.

You can obviously try applying to QM or some lowly RGs this application cycle, but your chances won't be spectacular if, as you say, you don't have amazing A-level grades already. There's a difference between applying with bad A-level grades but with the prospect of improving them, and merely applying with bad grades.

Your career prospects are pretty grim if you're getting 2:2 grades from Westminster...Starting afresh will give you the chance to get better grades and give a positive impression to your teachers/academic advisors (who, at the very least, will be your future referees) from day one.
Last edited by J Papi; 1 year ago
username3917068
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Already got it checked by another tutor who also marked it who said it should be at least 60. That's why I linked the other thread so that you can see the issue in detail. Anyway, I use this site for useful threads and advice only. Regardless, this thread isn't about that issue, so please don't comment unnecessarily unless you have good advice.
I thought lower ranked unis were more lenient with their marking? :confused:

People are questioning you because of your attitude. Belittling other ppl with that astonishing sense of entitlement.

Drop out all you want because it's none of my business. Just don't come back next year asking the same thing at QM after receiving a 35 with that attitude of yours.
J Papi
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Lady Jamie)

People are questioning you because of your attitude. Belittling other ppl with that astonishing sense of entitlement.
From their attitude, you'd think that OP was at Oxford or summat

But my invitation for them to post their essay so that the wise gods (PhD students) of TSR can review it has not yet been taken up...
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by JohanGRK)

But my invitation for them to post their essay so that the wise gods (PhD students) of TSR can review it has not yet been taken up...
But if they did that, they might be called out on their claims, which is something the OP would want to avoid at all costs. :holmes:
username3917068
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

u know something is wrong when even I deem the attitude as problematic.

(tbt my tsr meltdown over my formative grade+feedback)
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Lady Jamie)

Drop out all you want because it's none of my business. Just don't come back next year asking the same thing at QM after receiving a 35 with that attitude of yours.
Marking is more lenient, which could be why OP is on 65s and 70s otherwise. A stray honest marker might have been in the mix who deemed the work a 50er.
nabid61
Rep:
?
It's already the end of February. You won't have time to prepare to sit A-levels properly if you aim to sit them this summer.

One of your options is to drop out now, try studying 3 A-levels from scratch during the next 15 months (you'll obviously need to take a gap year for this), and sit them in summer 2020, with a view to starting your new degree from scratch in autumn 2020.

You can obviously try applying to QM or some lowly RGs this application cycle, but your chances won't be spectacular if, as you say, you don't have amazing A-level grades already. There's a difference between applying with bad A-level grades but with the prospect of improving them, and merely applying with bad grades.

Your career prospects are pretty grim if you're getting 2:2 grades from Westminster...Starting afresh will give you the chance to get better grades and give a positive impression to your teachers/academic advisors (who, at the very least, will be your future referees) from day one.
Thank you for your reply. I really appreciate it. It is useful and helpful advice, unlike all the other responses I have received. People don't seem to realise that this is an issue with the university. They'll just find any little way to attack you and not give any useful advice. They didn't even check out my thread that I linked and already jumping into conclusions.

Anyway, I did badly in my A2 exams. My AS grades were pretty good. So I'm just thinking what if I retook those 2 A2 subjects (that's about 4 papers) and I do believe I'll be able to get through it all in 3 months since I'll be extremely determined. And then try and get in through clearing. That is a big risk, I know, because what if there aren't any spaces in clearing for QM, and then my last would be City, which I don't think is worth wasting a whole nother year for, as it probably has a slightly better prospects (please do correct me if I'm wrong).
nabid61
Rep:
?
(Original post by Notoriety)
Marking is more lenient, which could be why OP is on 65s and 70s otherwise. A stray honest marker might have been in the mix who deemed the work a 50er.
Yes, it SHOULD be lenient, considering it is a lower ranked uni, but in my case, it wasn't. Neither was it honest. I've linked the thread above.
nabid61
Rep:
?
But if they did that, they might be called out on their claims, which is something the OP would want to avoid at all costs. :holmes:
Yes, I'm so worried about being called out by PhD students, that's why I am not publicly posting it. Because of how I will feel. My feelings are so important.

Sarcasm aside, even if I did do that, there is a chance (can't say high or low because I'm no PhD student) that they will say the marker completed disregarded the marks scheme and any content of the essay/analysis etc...but that will not make any different to my situation, unless they were markers at Westminster Uni.
Last edited by nabid61; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (208)
33.44%
No (414)
66.56%

Watched Threads