The Student Room Group

Law 2019 Clearing predictions?

Hi, I’ve been given offers to study Law at Nottingham (AAB) and Birmingham (unconditional or AAA). I really want to firm Nottingham, but I’ve decided I don’t like my insurance choice of Liverpool (ABB), what do you think unis will be like through clearing? I’ve heard Exeter have given people offers for law of BBB do you think I could get in with that? Just worried about what I’ll get on the day, and if Nottingham would still accept me with ABB even though my offer is already reduced from AAA?
Original post by weabella
Hi, I’ve been given offers to study Law at Nottingham (AAB) and Birmingham (unconditional or AAA). I really want to firm Nottingham, but I’ve decided I don’t like my insurance choice of Liverpool (ABB), what do you think unis will be like through clearing? I’ve heard Exeter have given people offers for law of BBB do you think I could get in with that? Just worried about what I’ll get on the day, and if Nottingham would still accept me with ABB even though my offer is already reduced from AAA?

Exeter is a possible. It was there last year. If you get the grades you will make it and if not then dont rule out a resit.

If Nottingham is your favourite you should definitely Firm them - there is no guarantee they would go any lower than AAB at results time - but if they did, the first people to benefit would be the applicants who have Firmed them but narrowly missed their grades.

If you think you may get ABB, I still don't think you should Insure Liverpool because there are likely to be other good options available in Clearing for ABB applicants - so why tie yourself down to a Uni you don't like? It would be better to not have an Insurance choice at all than to have one you don't like.

Do you hold any other ABB offers apart from Liverpool?
Reply 3
Original post by harrysbar
If Nottingham is your favourite you should definitely Firm them - there is no guarantee they would go any lower than AAB at results time - but if they did, the first people to benefit would be the applicants who have Firmed them but narrowly missed their grades.

If you think you may get ABB, I still don't think you should Insure Liverpool because there are likely to be other good options available in Clearing for ABB applicants - so why tie yourself down to a Uni you don't like? It would be better to not have an Insurance choice at all than to have one you don't like.

Do you hold any other ABB offers apart from Liverpool?

I applied to Oxford (rejected post interview), Bristol (AAB), Nottingham (AAB) Birmingham (unconditional/ AAA) and Liverpool (ABB) so I’m in a bit of a pickle, I can’t put Bristol and Nottingham down because if I don’t get into one I won’t get into the other and I don’t want to go to Liverpool. I’m just worried that I won’t get AAB - I’m predicted A*A*A but we haven’t finished mocks yet and I don’t want to not have a back up plan but I really don’t want to go to Liverpool. Which Russell group unis do you think will have clearing for law? I can’t find any stats from last year
I'm not the best person to ask about RG Unis likely to be in Clearing for Law this year, but I would guess that the possibilites could include Cardiff Uni, Sheffield Uni and Southampton Uni (plus decent ones outside RG including Lancaster, Surrey and Royal Holloway).

I advise you to post the same question on the Law forum, where there will be people who will have more knowledge than me about Law degrees. However, even if someone knows for sure what came up last year, there are still no guarantees about what will happen this year :smile:
Original post by 999tigger
Exeter is a possible. It was there last year. If you get the grades you will make it and if not then dont rule out a resit.

It wasn't for law. (Might have been in for FCH, but that's something entirely different.)

According to meself, https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=79288226&postcount=10

Last year included: Cardiff, Newcastle, Sheffield, Glasgow, Southampton, QUB, Manchester.

Exeter has been in Extra, but is not frequently in Clearing for law.
Original post by Notoriety
It wasn't for law. (Might have been in for FCH, but that's something entirely different.)

According to meself, https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=79288226&postcount=10

Last year included: Cardiff, Newcastle, Sheffield, Glasgow, Southampton, QUB, Manchester.

I should have tagged you! I thought you would have a better idea than me :smile:

Put Brum as your insurance, if you like. Remember, them saying they accept AAA does not mean they accept AAA -- they're willing to give people unconditionals for a reason. They can be flexible with their entry.

Look on Which Uni -- commonest grades are BBB! https://university.which.co.uk/university-of-birmingham-b32/courses/law-llb-hons-2019-8824e22f74fc
Reply 8
It wasn't for law.

thank you!!

I will take your word for it, but I feel I answered questions on it last year and for a small window there were some spaces.
Not worth losing sleep over. It either is or isnt there this year.
Liverpool and York were on there I believe.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by 999tigger
I will take your word for it, but I feel I answered questions on it last year and for a small window there were some spaces.
Not worth losing sleep over. It either is or isnt there this year.
Liverpool and York were on there I believe.

Possibly at the Cornwall campus - they would be harder to fill.....
Original post by harrysbar
Possibly at the Cornwall campus - they would be harder to fill.....

Maybe, do they even do law down there?
1. I try and avoid cripple fights as they are the most embarrassing/ wasteful/ ridiculous parts of an internet forum. Notoriety knows this plus we are adults, with some common sense.
2. Just seemed to ring a bell although it was several thousand threads ago.
3. I may be incorrect. It could have been for extra or clearing can be fluid and courses can become available later.
4. Past performance is just that and 2019 will be different.

The upshot of this is that some unis that you would think are in high demand can have places available. All the more reason to be prepared for adjustment or clearing. In terms of the thread if Nottingham is what i wanted, then I would seriously consider a retake if it went south. Have to wait and see.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending