Should English Literature be compulsory at GCSE?

Watch
notdyls
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/gcs...dents-interest

Have a read about the reasons why I think English Literature shouldn’t be compulsory at GCSE. Do you agree? Tell me why here!
Tolgash
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It is not compulsory. Unlike English language, you can fail this subject without having to resit it.

I do believe that there is just an added incentive for schools to make students sit both English language and English literature because they mean that their grades will have double weighting in their Progress 8 and Attainment 8 scores, which contribute towards the league tables. (If this isn't the case, then someone can clear this up for me.)

Anyway, I stopped reading at 'Shakespeare's novels'. What? Which novels did he write, and which are in any GCSE English lit syllabus? Lmao!
notdyls
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tolgarda)
It is not compulsory. Unlike English language, you can fail this subject without having to resit it.

I do believe that there is just an added incentive for schools to make students sit both English language and English literature because they mean that their grades will have double weighting in their Progress 8 and Attainment 8 scores, which contribute towards the league tables. (If this isn't the case, then someone can clear this up for me.)

Anyway, I stopped reading at 'Shakespeare's novels'. What? Which novels did he write, and which are in any GCSE English lit syllabus? Lmao!
You're correct, legally it is not compulsory. However as I mentioned, a very large proportion of schools make it compulsory for their students (for the reasons you mentioned) so for many students there is no choice.

Was novel the wrong word to use? I wasn't very good at English. The exam that I sat did include a section on Macbeth though.
Audrey18
Badges: 21
Report 2 years ago

the real reason why students actually fail literature and other subjects is because the teaching quality in the UK is in decline and has been so for many years.
Tolgash
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by notdyls)
You're correct, legally it is not compulsory. However as I mentioned, a very large proportion of schools make it compulsory for their students (for the reasons you mentioned) so for many students there is no choice.

Was novel the wrong word to use? I wasn't very good at English. The exam that I sat did include a section on Macbeth though.
I agree with the points in the article, but I was just being an ********. Also, 'novels' was indeed the incorrect term. He wrote plays and sonnets. We study his plays.
notdyls
Rep:
?
I agree with the points in the article, but I was just being an ********. Also, 'novels' was indeed the incorrect term. He wrote plays and sonnets. We study his plays.
oops. that would probably explain why it was one of my lower grades lol. I'll see if I can change it. Do you think students would be missing out on important skills if fewer schools made it compulsory? I'd imagine not many students would choose it as an option.
notdyls
Rep:
?
(Original post by Audrey18)
the real reason why students actually fail literature and other subjects is because the teaching quality in the UK is in decline and has been so for many years.
In that case, wouldn't reducing the number of subjects being taught help to improve scores as students can spend more time on each subject? The quality of teaching in the UK is a discussion for another day though, lol
adamdrummond
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
our year group was the first to be compulsory here and ugh its horrible

do not like it.
notdyls
Rep:
?
(Original post by adamdrummond)
our year group was the first to be compulsory here and ugh its horrible

do not like it.
Your feelings are shared by many! Do you know why your school decided to make it compulsory, or if they’ll reconsider after student feedback?
adamdrummond
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by notdyls)
Your feelings are shared by many! Do you know why your school decided to make it compulsory, or if they’ll reconsider after student feedback?
our year is also the only year group (at current) to do it this way.

We did First Language English GCSE in Nov 2018, so that there could be more chance to pass or get high grade (it changes for 2020 and after so there's only summer or nov 2019 to improve grade) and so I guess they needed something to fill in the space.

Current Y10s are studying Language and Literature simultaneously for the full two years interchangeably; I imagine this will cause problems for them sitting both exams at end of Y11 as if they do both courses at the same time (bearing in mind lessons are just 'English', not specifically language or literature) will they not get stuff mixed up? Question answering style is very different between language and literature; at least it is on CIE.

Previously they had 'World Literature' as a separate subject, as an option, and there was only one class, but that is no more.
notdyls
Rep:
?
(Original post by adamdrummond)
Current Y10s are studying Language and Literature simultaneously for the full two years interchangeably; I imagine this will cause problems for them sitting both exams at end of Y11 as if they do both courses at the same time (bearing in mind lessons are just 'English', not specifically language or literature) will they not get stuff mixed up? Question answering style is very different between language and literature; at least it is on CIE.
I did that, and I think my school has never done it any other way. We clarified what was for what closer to the time of the exam, so it was clear what we had to revise for each one. It’s not too hard to distinguish the two once you get used to it, although I can’t remember how different the answer styles were.

i think the fact that the predecessor only had one class when it was an option says a lot about the popularity of the subject.
eowenthe brave
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Horrible. What are you saying? English literature, if taught well, is a wonderful enriching subject. Also, many of the novels are a joy to read. Yes, it is a relatively hard GCSE but if you get a good grade it means you can think analytically. Once you get used to the language of Shakespeare with the help of a dedicated teacher, you will come to love it? At senior school, I was lucky to read 7 plays between 12-16.
Vinny C
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
English Lit compulsory? I can imagine many a science undergrad spitting out his dummy and rightly so.
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by eowenthe brave)
Also, many of the novels are a joy to read. .
Love reading but never enjoyed reading a single book in school. It's almost as if the lessons were designed to make you hate the books.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (52)
28.57%
No (130)
71.43%

Watched Threads