ella sian
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Its 1aiii on this

https://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com...n%201%20QP.pdf

on the answers it says that the total force has to be at an angle of 15-75 degrees to the horizontal can anyone explain why?
BobbJo
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The contact force has 2 components:
(i) the normal component which balances the weight
(ii) frictional component opposing the driving force which causes movement or a tendency to move. In this case, the frictional component opposes the driving force T. The frictional components acts opposite to T.

There is a horizontal and vertical component to the contact force, so it is at an angle to the horizontal.
ella sian
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by BobbJo)
The contact force has 2 components:
(i) the normal component which balances the weight
(ii) frictional component opposing the driving force which causes movement or a tendency to move. In this case, the frictional component opposes the driving force T. The frictional components acts opposite to T.

There is a horizontal and vertical component to the contact force, so it is at an angle to the horizontal.
Thank you so much also on the question below it says that the max force produced by the engine is 28kn why is only this used for q1bi when ur working out the acceleration with f=ma like wouldnt there be a component of the contact force opposing the forward force?
BobbJo
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Zebragirl)
Thank you so much also on the question below it says that the max force produced by the engine is 28kn why is only this used for q1bi when ur working out the acceleration with f=ma like wouldnt there be a component of the contact force opposing the forward force?
It says the brakes are released. So the backward force impeding the motion is gone.

The calculation in (b)(i) ignores any resistive forces such as friction. We only take the force produced by engine (28kN) and ignore any resistive forces.

In reality, resistive forces such as air resistance and friction will decrease the net forward force and this will be part of your answer in (b)(ii)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (58)
28.86%
No - I have already returned home (24)
11.94%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (46)
22.89%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (20)
9.95%
No - I live at home during term anyway (53)
26.37%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise