Labour announce backing for a second Brexit referendum Watch

TheGreyAesthetic
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It's absolutely ridiculous.

I can understand that Brexit as we know it right now is an utter mess but having another vote would just render the past few years completely pointless, not to mention how much of a joke we would look as a nation.
ColinDent
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
There is of course no saying that any amendments to have a 2nd referendum will pass, given that up to 50 labour MP's are willing to vote against it.
Dez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by TheGreyAesthetic)

I can understand that Brexit as we know it right now is an utter mess but having another vote would just render the past few years completely pointless, not to mention how much of a joke we would look as a nation.
Whereas without a referendum the last two years of UK politics have been productive and meaningful?

The UK is a laughing stock already.
Vinny C
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

We are already a laughing stock and that can't get any worse. Better to be a laughing stock with an economy rather than a clown left lying in the gutter with everyone saying 'tried to warn you, you've only yourself to blame'. The last 2 yrs have been far from pointless, only a fool or a hard brexiteer would say that. They finally start to warn us of what to expect if we carry on. The question is are we learning anything from it? This is the ground starting to crack under our feet as we approach the cliff edge.
TheGreyAesthetic
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Dez)
Whereas without a referendum the last two years of UK politics have been productive and meaningful?

(Original post by Vinny C)
We are already a laughing stock and that can't get any worse. Better to be a laughing stock with an economy rather than a clown left lying in the gutter with everyone saying 'tried to warn you, you've only yourself to blame'. The last 2 yrs have been far from pointless, only a fool or a hard brexiteer would say that. They finally start to warn us of what to expect if we carry on. The question is are we learning anything from it? This is the ground starting to crack under our feet as we approach the cliff edge.
Of course it has. 2 years worth of work, negotiating, debating, planning, society constantly clashing towards Brexit and the kind it'll be. I personally believe Brexit as a whole is a mistake though the choice was given to people and the people voted accordingly for a majority vote FOR Brexit. It isn't right in anyway to suddenly rip that away from them.

Yeah, the UK has seen better, but it would just make us look like absolute jokes to the World to suddenly drop everything and go ''Right well the majority of the UK voted to leave and we were doing that, it's a bit of a mess now so we can't be bothered anymore so we're scrapping the old vote and 2 years worth of work to have a new one courtesy of people who can't take the fact that they didn't get what they want''.

It'll still be hectic for a while either way and everyone acts like Brexit will be the end of our nation. It will be fine.
adamdrummond
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
hello from the Isle of Man!

loving all the debate u guys are stuck with; we have no rights in this discussion

lets see where the river of life takes us all

<3
Burton Bridge
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Dez)

Life is what you make of it, you need to start looking out the front window while driving instead of looking in the rear view mirror
Krisis
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Have a 2nd ref, vote Remain so this insane and wholly unnecessary uncertainty over the economy ceases to exist. Trump aint gonna want to trade freely with the UK, he's not in favour of free trade, he wants his cronies enriched at the expense of US and British taxpayers.
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Vinny C)
Name calling again you claim you don't do?

While you are are you saying remaining in the EU would of save the economy? How so when you have already admitted we have lost more jobs within the EU than outside of it?
Dez
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Of course it has. 2 years worth of work, negotiating, debating, planning, society constantly clashing towards Brexit and the kind it'll be. I personally believe Brexit as a whole is a mistake though the choice was given to people and the people voted accordingly for a majority vote FOR Brexit. It isn't right in anyway to suddenly rip that away from them.
The majority voted in an advisory referendum half an election cycle ago which has since been called into question due to fraudulent spending behaviour. I don't really see why we should respect a vote like that.

Yeah, the UK has seen better, but it would just make us look like absolute jokes to the World to suddenly drop everything and go ''Right well the majority of the UK voted to leave and we were doing that, it's a bit of a mess now so we can't be bothered anymore so we're scrapping the old vote and 2 years worth of work to have a new one courtesy of people who can't take the fact that they didn't get what they want''.
This is a sunk cost fallacy. Just because we've invested time into something is not sufficient reasoning to carry on. There needs to be some tangible benefit not just chasing losses.

It'll still be hectic for a while either way and everyone acts like Brexit will be the end of our nation. It will be fine.
You really can't parody stuff like this. "It will be fine"? Faced with the biggest upheaval in British politics in literally ever and that's the best you can do to justify it? :rofl:

(Original post by Burton Bridge)
Life is what you make of it, you need to start looking out the front window while driving instead of looking in the rear view mirror
What the heck does this even mean? :lolwut: Why is it whenever people try to justify Brexit they resort to crude analogies instead of addressing any of the real issues?
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Dez)
What the heck does this even mean? :lolwut: Why is it whenever people try to justify Brexit they resort to crude analogies instead of addressing any of the real issues?
Oh sorry I was not aware crude analogies avoiding/diverting of any of the real issues was the sole right of the remainers?

I meant that we need to start addressing the problems that have arisen not only from EU membership but from Brexit as well, to understand the problem.

We need positive contribution and constructive forward thinking to create positive overcomes as opposed to negitive regressive thinking ignoring the issues which have led to the Brexit vote.

Untill a large majority of the country do this we will be more likely to 'crash the car' in my analogy, no matter what happens vote or no vote.

That's what I meant
Dez
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Oh sorry I was not aware crude analogies avoiding/diverting of any of the real issues was the sole right of the remainers?
Hah, touché.

I meant that we need to start addressing the problems that have arisen not only from EU membership but from Brexit as well, to understand the problem.
One thing's for sure, the UK has a lot of problems right now.

We need positive contribution and constructive forward thinking to create positive overcomes as opposed to negitive regressive thinking ignoring the issues which have led to the Brexit vote.

Untill a large majority of the country do this we will be more likely to 'crash the car' in my analogy, no matter what happens vote or no vote.

That's what I meant
I don't think this is necessarily incompatible with the idea of having a second vote. Ideally I'd like to see a vote which explored more than a binary choice on the matter, though I doubt the Tories would ever allow something like that.
thestudent33
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yay!
ChaoticButterfly
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
He just repeated the Labour position. This has always been the labour position.

Good optics for remain though.
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
He just repeated the Labour position. This has always been the labour position.

Good optics for remain though.
He's making a foolish error, we could have decades of labour power but not with silly decisions like this
Dannyboy2015
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I wonder what will actually happen though. Bcos there isn't a majority for returning the vote the people (although I would certainly like this). Me thinks there will be an inevitable delay in Brexit. But like then w0t? 0.o It seems all Parliament can do right now is say no to every idea out there.

No backing for a labour deal which sees Britain effectively in the EU without a vote, no backing for May bcos it screws over N.I, no backing for no deal bcos it screws over the economy, no backing for a 2nd referendum as it is seen to deny democracy. Meh okay a delay may take place, but then something needs to break. I actually want a bag of popcorn, I can't wait to see what it will be.
Dannyboy2015
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
Excellent news! Hopefully this referendum gets pushed, Remain will win and then we can all take a massive sigh of relief (as well as laughing at raging, salty Leavers).
But like... by who? Labour don't have a majority and not all of its members want a 2nd referendum either. I'm sure at least a couple will defy the whip -nvm the mp's they just lost.
Vinny C
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

YOU might not be getting what you want, and that is your only consideration. At least Corbyn has had the guts to act in the national interest and put his party politics behind him. He might be a lefty loonie but at least he goes down with a conscience!
Sinnoh
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hear hear!

Corbyn is really snatching defeat from the Jaws of victory. I think Labour will be desimated at the next election.
Well losing 10% of your seats isn't that bad
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It is at a time when they should realistically be looking at gaining 20% of their seats
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (93)
16.61%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (58)
10.36%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (99)
17.68%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (84)
15%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (56)
10%
How can I be the best version of myself? (170)
30.36%

Watched Threads