The Student Room Group

I'm prepping for Brexit, AMA.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Charlotte's Web
You've made huge assumptions in speculating that people buying slightly extra food will be responsible for a food shortage, rather than the trade and import issues associated with Brexit.

I care very much about food shortage, which is why I am preparing for it. I am not, however, responsible for the actions of other people either as a result of Brexit or this thread.

I'm afraid we'll need to agree to disagree.

I think doing so will aid a food shortage, should it occur.

Well you should really care, because making this thread will undoubtedly spread these rumours, even if it’s a small amount which is exactly how rumours and unfounded claims make the big time.

The best thing to do in a food shortage is not to bulk buy, it is to buy less, I know you’re not bulk buying but in case of a food shortage, people inevitably will, and your thread doesn’t mention that, if you cared so much you’d know this wouldn’t you?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by TheNamesBond.
I think doing so will aid a food shortage, should it occur.

Well you should really care, because making this thread will undoubtedly spread these rumours, even if it’s a small amount which is exactly how rumours and unfounded claims make the big time.

The best thing to do in a food shortage is not to bulk buy, it is to buy less, I know you’re not bulk buying but in case of a food shortage, people inevitably will, and your thread doesn’t mention that, if you cared so much you’d know this wouldn’t you?

As I said, I don't feel I'm spreading any 'rumours'. I'm being as transparent as possible.

Preparing several weeks in advance is very different from panic buying at the time. The whole point of prepping is to avoid bulk buying. I'm sure if there was an emergency then people would panic, rush to the shops and clear shelves. Those who had prepped in advance wouldn't need to do this, which could actually lessen the strain on supermarkets.

I'm not intending to cover every issue of prepping, this is an AMA not a comprehensive guide. If people have questions, I'll answer them to the best of my ability.
Original post by Mactotaur
So by stockpiling, aren't you contributing to a food shortage? You're creating a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Well it's everyone for themselves...do u think that when there's some kind of disaster happening that people are going to worry about each other? Hell no they only care about themselves
Not that I'm "prepping" and although u do raise a good point, it's just common sense...survival of the fittest I guess...
Original post by Zabidoo
Well it's everyone for themselves...do u think that when there's some kind of disaster happening that people are going to worry about each other? Hell no they only care about themselves
Not that I'm "prepping" and although u do raise a good point, it's just common sense...survival of the fittest I guess...

Lack of empathy is how we got into this mess in the first place.
As I said, I don't feel I'm spreading any 'rumours'. I'm being as transparent as possible.

Preparing several weeks in advance is very different from panic buying at the time. The whole point of prepping is to avoid bulk buying. I'm sure if there was an emergency then people would panic, rush to the shops and clear shelves. Those who had prepped in advance wouldn't need to do this, which could actually lessen the strain on supermarkets.

I'm not intending to cover every issue of prepping, this is an AMA not a comprehensive guide. If people have questions, I'll answer them to the best of my ability.

I never said you were spreading rumours, I said it’s inevitable that people will become curious and possibly worried, I never said you weren’t prepping, I said people will inevitably bulk buy, people are quite narrow minded, I understand your points, but at the end of the day, I like to spread the truth, and right now, just because you are prepping in small amounts doesn’t mean people won’t do the opposite and bulk buy, the public don’t take lightly to these things.
(edited 5 years ago)
I never said you were spreading rumours, I said it’s inevitable that people will become curious and possible worried, I never said you weren’t prepping, I said people will inevitably bulk buy, people are quite narrow minded, I understand your points, I am being quite extra I must admit, but at the end of the day, I like to spread the truth, and right now, just because you are prepping in small amounts doesn’t mean people won’t do the opposite and bulk buy, the public don’t take lightly to these things.

I totally agree. We had heavy snow last year and most local shops had barely any fresh food available for three days which caused chaos. It's human nature to panic. I really see prepping as an opposite to this. I know if it gets to the stage where people are bulk-buying, I won't need to, which is quite a nice thought and also means there is more food available for those who have not planned in advance.

I think i get what ur saying
Like, guys think about it, rn brexit hasn't happened yet...this means whatever u buy rn can just be replaced...therefore by prepping now, ur not effecting the amount of food becuz it's being replaced
This means that shud brexit cause some kind of food shortage (which it won't, it's not the end of the world) when everyone's running to bulk buy as much as they can, the people who prepared can sit at home and let everyone else take the food as they already have the food they have stocked up over a number of weeks/months...
Technically, that means more food for us unprepared folks...
Do u get what I'm tryna say? (I'm not sure if I'm right or not but it doesn't rly matter atm anyway)

Also, don't u guys think that if normal people are stocking up food, that supermarkets aren't doing it too? It's gonna be more expensive for them to get too, they may aswell stock up while it's cheap
Anyway let's not get to ahead of ourselves 😂😂
I totally agree. We had heavy snow last year and most local shops had barely any fresh food available for three days which caused chaos. It's human nature to panic. I really see prepping as an opposite to this. I know if it gets to the stage where people are bulk-buying, I won't need to, which is quite a nice thought and also means there is more food available for those who have not planned in advance.

That's exactly what I said, put more conveniently 😂
It's true tho...plus supermarkets are gonna be prepared for the rising costs and will bulk up on food while it's cheap
Reply 48
Not doing anything extra in terms of stockpiling in case of a no deal Brexit. Finally we hear news of Labour moving closer to back a 2nd referendum. They will be putting up their amendment to May's botched Brexit deal (most likely defeated) and likely to vote for the Cooper-Letwin amendment to avoid no deal Brexit by basically extending Article 50 to allow more time for negotiations/amendments to May's deal. Failure of that will (hopefully) lead to Labour backing a People's Vote. I know how I'd vote ...
Original post by Zabidoo
That's exactly what I said, put more conveniently 😂
It's true tho...plus supermarkets are gonna be prepared for the rising costs and will bulk up on food while it's cheap

Haha, I think you've hit the nail on the head. Plus if nothing happens, it means I don't need to buy pasta or tinned tomatoes for a while, which isn't a bad thing either.

Supermarkets have been rumoured to be buying more, which I think is pretty sensible as they don't hold much stock at all nowadays.
Farage and Rees-Mogg hear that we will be subsisting on canned spam and dried pasta.

faragereesmogg.jpg

Yes I agree, prepping is very responsible, shows you care about your countries welfare, not just of your own, I guess in hindsight, to some extent, I agree with what you are doing, I don’t see it necessary just yet but that’s the whole point isn’t it, just in case, I only have one bone to pick with you, if a food shortage isn’t imminent, I don’t see the necessity to warn people about it ( unintentionally), if you are, keep it to yourself, no need to warn people thereby lighting a fire for people to begin bulk buying without thinking twice.

Are you prepping for Brexit? What do you think of prepping?

No, but my parents are so if the worst comes to the worst I'll pop on a train home until there's food in the supermarkets again.

My parents have stockpiled pasta, tinned peaches, tinned tomatoes etc. They've also got at least a 6 months' supply of toilet paper piled up in the garage because apparently the pulp is made in Europe...
(edited 5 years ago)
Well just in case, bring God with you ( @GOD ) I’m sure they’ve got a lot to catch up on.

Who is this fake God you are linking to? :colonhash:

:tongue:
Christ. We are leaving the EU, not declaring war on France.
Why do you think there will be a problem with food supplies? Coutnries outside the EU in europe (switzerland, albania, norway etc) are fine. are you really that brainwashed by propoganda?
Uh what exactly would happen if we didn't 'prep' ?
And why anyway? Brexit shouldn't cause this
Original post by JoshDarnIt
So if Satan doesn't exist, and God doesn't exist, does that mean the air is gonna fight itself?

Spectacular, Trump is President of the United States, people are freaking out about Brexit...basically we're f*cked.

Are we?
So if Satan doesn't exist, and God doesn't exist, does that mean the air is gonna fight itself?

Spectacular, Trump is President of the United States, people are freaking out about Brexit...basically we're f*cked.

God does exist, my young friend. I do not need to fight anyone :tongue:

It's okay, there's not going to be a WW3 (in the next 4 months at least) so you can relax for now.
Yes.

I'm not though cos I'm tottering about doing my own thing :biggrin:

XD
Different circumstances for different people

Quick Reply

Latest