The Student Room Group

What gcse options should I pick if I want to be a pharmacist

Hi, this year I am choosing my gcse option and I need help of what I want to choose. I really want to become a pharmacist and when I'm older. However, I don't know what to pick if I want to become that. Plz help.
Thank you
Super learner
Original post by Super learner
Hi, this year I am choosing my gcse option and I need help of what I want to choose. I really want to become a pharmacist and when I'm older. However, I don't know what to pick if I want to become that. Plz help.
Thank you
Super learner

Its just sciences and maths and english that are important, your options can be just things you ll enjoy and get good grades in
triple science + anything
Thank you
Super learner

There are no specific options that you need to pick at GCSE for pharmacy. You will already take English, Mathematics and Science, so your other subjects can be picked freely from your option choices.

The only thing you need to consider is choosing if triple (separate) sciences or Double Science is right for you. If your school offers Triple Science, it is a good idea to opt for that. It will give you a solid foundation for A-level sciences. Many students, though, go on to get good results in sciences at A-level after taking Double Science at GCSE.
Thank you for your advices.
One more question can I still take triple science even if I am bad at it?

If you’re bad at science then it’s unlikely that you’ll be a pharmacist

You need to be good at science if you want to be a pharmacist. I've got the entrance requirements for Cardiff uni MPharm in front of me. To get in there you'd need AAB-ABB, including A-level Chemistry and one A-level from Biology, Physics or Mathematics. Entrance conditions may be higher or lower at other unis. Take a look for yourself.

That's why I said Triple Science is a good idea. It will also give you a chance to see if a science career like pharmacy is really something you want to do.
I am good at biology and chemistry but not soo much physics and I am only in year 8 and picking my option this year. So I still have got 3 years till my gcse. And I can improve my science in those 3 years
Hi Super Learner,

Its great to hear that you are starting to think about and plan for your future career.

Swansea University Medical School are currently developing a new Pharmacy degree, with a view to launch the degree in the next two years (a launch date will be confirmed in coming months).

Our entry requirements will typically look for an A Level in Chemistry. A 2nd STEM subject or Mathematics is not essential but desirable for applicants as these subjects will support your learning.

I have spoken with our Pharmacy Programme Director this morning who suggests looking into the A Level/IB requirements of a number of Pharmacy programmes throughout the UK, to help you understand what different schools are looking for. This should then help you to make a decision on which subjects to choose at GCSE in order to allow you to progress to A Level.

I hope that this information will help you to make an informed decision on your GCSE subject choices. Best of luck with your decision making.

Kindest Regards,
Swansea University Medical School
www.swansea.ac.uk/medicine
Original post by Swansea University Colleges
Hi Super Learner,

Its great to hear that you are starting to think about and plan for your future career.

Swansea University Medical School are currently developing a new Pharmacy degree, with a view to launch the degree in the next two years (a launch date will be confirmed in coming months).

Our entry requirements will typically look for an A Level in Chemistry. A 2nd STEM subject or Mathematics is not essential but desirable for applicants as these subjects will support your learning.

I have spoken with our Pharmacy Programme Director this morning who suggests looking into the A Level/IB requirements of a number of Pharmacy programmes throughout the UK, to help you understand what different schools are looking for. This should then help you to make a decision on which subjects to choose at GCSE in order to allow you to progress to A Level.

I hope that this information will help you to make an informed decision on your GCSE subject choices. Best of luck with your decision making.

Kindest Regards,
Swansea University Medical School
www.swansea.ac.uk/medicine

Thank you so much for this advice. One question where are you based ed: London, Bradford etc
Thank you super learner
Thank you so much for this advice. One question where are you based ed: London, Bradford etc
Thank you super learner

Hi Super learner, I can answer this! The course will be in Swansea, almost certainly on our Singleton Campus. You can see it here: https://goo.gl/maps/FzNrJM629oK2

As you can see, we're pretty close to the beach!

If you have any more questions, by all means feel free to pick our brains on here!

Jamie

Quick Reply

Latest