The Student Room Group

AQA Further maths anybody?

Sorry to ask, however my college started further maths late. So were doing FP1 and D1 now. Is their anyone else doing AQA further maths.

What modules did you do, and when? I heard you do FP4 first, then FP3, then FP2. Is this true?

Also, what is the hardest module? As FP1 is really easy. I got my exam on the 16th of june.

Its a shame, but their are no proofs in FP1, even in C1 and C2 you need to be able to prove stuff, like the cosine and sine rule. However, none in FP1. Its really strange, since higher mathematics is based on proofs.
what proofs do you need for C1/C2?

Ive done fp1, with d1 and d2 for as. Doing fp2/fp3 and m3 for a2. Dont do fp4 its crap.
Reply 2
With the Further Pure modules - they all have different topics and so can be taken independantly of one another; FP2 has things like polynomials, proof by induction, series, hyperbolics. FP3 has differential equations, polars and limits. FP4 is vectors and matrices.

I didn't mind FP4 in fairness; but I did prefer FPs 2 + 3; and would say that FP3 being mainly diff eq when you get the methods, is very straightforward.

A-Level doesn't really encourage proof at the end of teh day; the first time you will be doing that with any serious "higher level mathematics" will be at univeristy.
Reply 3
FP4 is ok once you get your head around it. Surely you have no choice about doing it though, as its one of the core modules. I didn't think you could do 2 application modules in one year...

For AS im doing FP1, FP4 and D2 and will do FP2, FP3 and M2 next year
mr_t_42
FP4 is ok once you get your head around it. Surely you have no choice about doing it though, as its one of the core modules. I didn't think you could do 2 application modules in one year...

For AS im doing FP1, FP4 and D2 and will do FP2, FP3 and M2 next year

mo - if you read the specification it says for as you need 1 further pure module plus either one more further pure module and a applied or two applied. For a2 you need 2 further pure modules plus either a third further pure or an applied
Reply 5
im doin FP3 on monday. Fp2 is easily the hardest of the modules because it is so diverse to the rest of the AS course, after that FP4 and FP3 fall into place because u will have the experiance of the A2 normal maths and more mathmatical minded , dnt wrry bruv im only gonna get a B lol
I'm doing FP1 on Monday, and talking with friends who take other exam boards, it seems that AQA makes this module ridiculously easy in comparison. I also did M1 and S2 alongside it this year, and next year we do FP2 in January and S4 and FP4 in the summer.
Reply 7
I've done FP1, FP2, FP4 and am doing FP3 tomorrow.

I'd say, FP1 is pretty trivial, FP4 I found quite easy once I got used to matrices and vector stuff, FP3 I reckon is actually quite easy but I'm finding it hard due to have to kind of having to learn it all myself in a short space of time, but once you know how to do the questions most are pretty trivial. FP2 was by far the hardest. Well...just before the exam I was pretty confident and was caning the past papers, but I screwed up the actual exam. Thing with FP2 is you kind of have to spot the tricks for the harder questions and stuff, it's more about being a better mathmetician than better at revising I reckon.
Reply 8
I have my FP1 exam monday.

I have noticed that I can't seem to find the books for FP2, FP3 and FP4. They are nowhere on amazon, I heard that there are no books published from AQA on FP2 to FP4, is this true?

So how do I actually learn them, if they have no books on it. I found a book on AQA website on all three, is this the book, should I print all them off? It going to take ages to print them off.

I want to start learning them now, so when they come later it will be easy, and I will get an A. However, without any books I'm screwed, and will hate printing off the books online.
Reply 9
I used the AQA FP4 book from the website. Not too bad.
Reply 10
FP1 and FP3 tomorrow!

argh
Reply 11
I'm pretty sure that only the AQA FP1 book was published and not the FP2-4 books.

On the plus side the majority of the AQA online text books are questions so you could drastically cut down the amount of printing by just selecting the notes and reading the questions sections off the screen when needed.

Hope this clears things up and good luck with Further Maths!
I've done AQA Maths and FM, with modules C1-4, FP1-4, S1, S2, M1, M2, D1.

There are no published books for FP2-4, and the ones which can be found on the website are not the best. You can find mistake after mistake. That being said, they're better than nothing. Can you not just wait until you are taught the modules, or are you doing FM self-taught? If you absolutely need books to look at, then the topics are covered in plenty of other texts. You can usually get 50% on an FP3 paper simply from differential equations questions, so they are definitely worth looking hard at. FP4 is all geometry, and so if you can think in 3D without too much trouble, it shouldn't be hard for you. FP2 can contain some fairly ugly integrals in the form of arclength, and surface area of revolution questions.
Reply 13
the exam today for further pure one was solid.
hopefully everyone found it hard and they lower the boundaries....but i expect it'll just have to be a retake in the summer arrghh.
sarah0205
the exam today for further pure one was solid.
hopefully everyone found it hard and they lower the boundaries....but i expect it'll just have to be a retake in the summer arrghh.

Everyone from my college found it hard as well. Seems like AQA changed it up a bit with this paper. Wasn't that similer to previous papers.
^,
i'll try them (FP1) papers as soon as i get it, but i'm currently doing this year, FP1, M1, S1 for AS, FP3, S2, M2 (or FP2) for A2, but i've already done C1-4, D1 (i can't do :frown: ) & D2 (all AQA) , but i'm finding to workload quite a challenge to balance with physics & business studies, & i'm currently struggling with stats 1, with distribution & probabality, can anyone recommend a good site
& everyone in my college says that
FP4 & FP2 is supposed to be harder than FP1 & FP3 (which is harder than C4)

Latest