Where can i see a list of universities that do UCAS EXTRA?

Watch
Muslim Taseer
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I have 5 offers I'm not satisfied with but before i go and cancel them all, how can i see what unus i would be able to apply to through clearing? If it's relavent, I'm an international student.
J Papi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Muslim Taseer)
I have 5 offers I'm not satisfied with but before i go and cancel them all, how can i see what unus i would be able to apply to through clearing? If it's relavent, I'm an international student.
Spoiler:
Show
As far as I can tell, you need to search for the courses through UCAS Extra's search box (the one of the official website), but you need to have entered Extra (i.e. declined your current offers) in order to access this box in the first place. That obviously is less than ideal :/

You can search for vacancies on the UCAS website right now (link). However, the problem is that the 2019-2020 study year option (which should be the one applicable to you) shows every single university that offered a law course this cycle, not just the ones in Extra.

It's entirely possible that one of the mongs in the UCAS IT team mixed up 'study year' with 'application cycle', in which case you should be looking for courses whose first 'study year' was 2018-2019. There are only 61 universities in this list (most of which are ****e), which makes me suspect that this is the real Extra list, no matter what the site says. However, that's just an educated guess on my behalf.

I'd email them to see if there's another way.
Last edited by J Papi; 1 year ago
J Papi
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Also, which universities did you get offers from thus far? There's no point in turning down, say, Exeter, if that's your current firm choice, in the hope of upgrading. The best unis I've ever seen in Extra are Warwick and QMUL.
Realitysreflexx
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
How do you get 5 offers... And not have one in mind... That's amazing.. Considering your obviously talented.. Or did you go bargain basement shopping? And have 5 offers from less then respectable unis. I remember setting my ambition a bit too low, but luckily getting the offer to the place I wanted to go lol.
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by JohanGRK)
As far as I can tell, you need to search for the courses through UCAS Extra's search box (the one of the official website), but you need to have entered Extra (i.e. declined your current offers) in order to access this box in the first place. That obviously is less than ideal :/

You can search for vacancies on the UCAS website right now (link). However, the problem is that the 2019-2020 study year option (which should be the one applicable to you) shows every single university that offered a law course this cycle, not just the ones in Extra.

It's entirely possible that one of the mongs in the UCAS IT team mixed up 'study year' with 'application cycle', in which case you should be looking for courses whose first 'study year' was 2018-2019. There are only 61 universities in this list (most of which are ****e), which makes me suspect that this is the real Extra list, no matter what the site says. However, that's just an educated guess on my behalf.

I'd email them to see if there's another way.
19/20 is the correct one. There are so many unis because UCAS lists subjects similar to law, e.g. criminology. So KCL and UCL show up, but not offering straight law. The only proper wrong one is Cambridge, so OP ignore that one.
J Papi
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Notoriety)
19/20 is the correct one. There are so many unis because UCAS lists subjects similar to law, e.g. criminology. So KCL and UCL show up, but not offering straight law. The only proper wrong one is Cambridge, so OP ignore that one.
There are quite a few straight law courses on there... Lancaster, Manchester, Birmingham, Newcastle, Notts, QMUL, SOAS, Soton, Exeter... Dunno how to interpret it.

I think that this format is a bit clearer in terms of how the results are presented.
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
There are quite a few straight law courses on there... Lancaster, Manchester, Birmingham, Newcastle, Notts, QMUL, SOAS, Soton, Exeter... Dunno how to interpret it.

I think that this format is a bit clearer in terms of how the results are presented.
Aye, the usual suspects.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Just don't go declining your offers until you have checked with the Unis that they definiely do have vacancies for straight Law LLB and are happy to accept applications from people with your grades. You can phone their Admissions to get advice before formally applying to them
Muslim Taseer
Rep:
?
I originally applied to rather mid level ones due to price even though with my grades I stand a chance at Cambridge etc. (A*A*AA predicted) Now I'm regretting that and want to apply to newcastle instead. I emailed them but they didn't give me a very straight answer.
Muslim Taseer
Rep:
?
I have offers from Lincoln, Northumbria, The university of Law, greenwich and sunderland.
J Papi
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I have offers from Lincoln, Northumbria, The university of Law, greenwich and sunderland.
No point in applying to waste of space universities. What were you thinking? Any of the RGs I've listed above are going to be a vast improvement.
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Ok - definitely agree with your decision to trade up.

You need to seek clarificaton from Newcastle - perhaps give Admissions a call? Also, you could email other Unis - nothing to stop you making enquiries at several even though you can only apply to one in Extra
Catherine1973
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Is Greenwich and uni of law that bad? I have them and city with offers and waiting for queen msry (and as tons of people who applied pre jan 15th are waiting for them so not sure they’d be quick for other offers yet).
(I am slightly constrained by doing graduate/senior llb and only London)
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
University of Law not that bad, no.

My reservation about them is more that they won't offer a normal Uni experience, which someone doing an undergraduate degree would find at other Unis. They are generally a better choice for someone doing a postgraduate course in my opinion, as they will be full of older students doing courses like the GDL and LPC.
J Papi
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Catherine1973)
Is Greenwich and uni of law that bad? I have them and city with offers and waiting for queen msry (and as tons of people who applied pre jan 15th are waiting for them so not sure they’d be quick for other offers yet).
(I am slightly constrained by doing graduate/senior llb and only London)
Yes, they're both ****e. ULaw doesn't have academics: it has failed professionals who are LARPing as academics in order to bring their PE overlords more cash. These institutions only exist because of their graduate-entry programmes.

Greenwich is just a mediocre institution full of mediocre students. Knew a couple of gents who had the misfortune to study there and they hated every second of it. But both of them were very ambitious and academic so I get why they wouldn't necessarily fit in.

(I remember seeing an advert for the LLB where ULaw claimed to have graduates working in 'every single law firm' in the City - which I laughed at. Should have reported it to the ASA.)
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Extra vacancies are listed on Extra course search BUT Extra only opened this week and universities have to actively CLOSE courses....so often courses will be listed when actually the university just hasn't bothered closing them yet.

As with all late applications it is VITAL to contact universities before you apply to check that the listing on UCAS is correct.
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
https://digital.ucas.com/search/resu...qgfstXIFqmxbA1

I've also filtered by UCAS points equivalent to 140+ to narrow the choices a bit. (Although that's a beta filter and by no means reliable...)

But contact any universities you are considering first to check they actually have places available.
Last edited by Doones; 1 year ago
Catherine1973
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yes, they're both ****e. ULaw doesn't have academics: it has failed professionals who are LARPing as academics in order to bring their PE overlords more cash. These institutions only exist because of their graduate-entry programmes.

Greenwich is just a mediocre institution full of mediocre students. Knew a couple of gents who had the misfortune to study there and they hated every second of it. But both of them were very ambitious and academic so I get why they wouldn't necessarily fit in.

(I remember seeing an advert for the LLB where ULaw claimed to have graduates working in 'every single law firm' in the City - which I laughed at. Should have reported it to the ASA.)
thanks. If I don't get into Queen Mary, City is my next choice anyway. Though Uni of Law did send me a nice pen in a pack which made me happy
Realitysreflexx
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
thanks. If I don't get into Queen Mary, City is my next choice anyway. Though Uni of Law did send me a nice pen in a pack which made me happy
A free pen surely doesn't balance their tuition lol, that's a for profit university.
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Take the pen and run
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (68)
61.82%
No (42)
38.18%

Watched Threads