What is the difference between physiological and behavioural adaptations?

Watch this thread
foxstudy
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
^^^ +1 rep to whoever can get me to understand it
anosmianAcrimony
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
Your physiology is your body and the way it works; your behaviour is the way that you act. Evolution has shaped both of those. So a physiological adaptation for one of Darwin's finches might be, for instance, the way its beak is shaped to crack open the nuts that it finds in its environment. A behavioural adaptation causes it to have a natural instinct to crack the nuts.

Closer to home - when a human being is hungry, a bunch of physiological adaptations cause their metabolism to slow down and start freeing up stores of energy in fat deposits and in the liver. A behavioural adaptation causes them to go find some food.
Last edited by anosmianAcrimony; 3 years ago
foxstudy
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
So would you say:
Anatomical adaptation- structure
Physiological adaptation- how it works
behavioural adaptation- how it acts
?? I don't really know how I can put it into better words
anosmianAcrimony
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by foxstudy)
So would you say:
Anatomical adaptation- structure
Physiological adaptation- how it works
behavioural adaptation- how it acts
?? I don't really know how I can put it into better words
Those are the general principles. But because we're talking about adaptations in particular here, if you want to give a definition, it's how those features are suited to the organism's environment.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Do you know what you'll do if you don't get the grades you're hoping for?

Find something else in clearing (38)
28.57%
Take a gap year (21)
15.79%
Resit my exams (35)
26.32%
Look for alternate pathways to the career I want (18)
13.53%
I don't know yet (15)
11.28%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (6)
4.51%

Watched Threads