ephemeral02
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
I'm in Y12 at the moment and I want to study Psychology at Uni. I've been looking at Oxford recently and like the look of the course, but I keep seeing a lot of horror stories about the place in general, for example the extreme workload or that everyone is posh etc

I am at a private school rn, trust me I'm not posh myself but I have seen a lot of them so I don't think that will be the worst thing, but I don't know if I should still apply. Would people say that the pros outweigh the cons?
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I highly doubt "everyone is posh" at Oxford, and I don't think that's been true since the 80s. There will inevitably be a range of backgrounds and perspectives represented in any college and course, and you'll likely make friends outside of both your college and course anyway.

However the course will be rigorous and challenging - that's the point. Whether that is worth it depends a little on what you are hoping to get out of your university experience. If you have a deep interest in your subject area and want to have the opportunity to engage in high level scholarship, then it might be a positive experience. Of course even if you are bery engaged in your subject, there are caveats to Oxford - they have somewhat patchy student support from what I've heard, and even if you are deeply interested in your subject the environment can be pretty high pressure still.

If you just want to coast by to a 2:1 and spend more of your time engaged in social endeavours than academic ones though, then it's definitely likely to be a worse option than an alternative. That said, you will still have a social life at Oxford, if you so choose, and if they're anything like the Cambridge students I have no doubt the students "let their hair down" at Oxford as well as the best of them...

I would suggest you focus less on those elements and look at the course itself more, and see how that fits your interests. For example, Psychology at Oxford is very scientific, and you'll study physiology and neurobiology more formally than you might in some other psychology courses. If you don't enjoy the sciences (particularly biology) it may be less appealing. You can study Psychology along with either/both of Philosophy or Linguistics there, but generally other combinations aren't possible as you would need to change course entirely. Thus, if you wanted to study psychology in combination with other subjects than those (for example, sociology, politics, languages, other sciences not directly relevant to psychology), other courses may offer more flexibility.
ephemeral02
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
I highly doubt "everyone is posh" at Oxford, and I don't think that's been true since the 80s. There will inevitably be a range of backgrounds and perspectives represented in any college and course, and you'll likely make friends outside of both your college and course anyway.

However the course will be rigorous and challenging - that's the point. Whether that is worth it depends a little on what you are hoping to get out of your university experience. If you have a deep interest in your subject area and want to have the opportunity to engage in high level scholarship, then it might be a positive experience. Of course even if you are bery engaged in your subject, there are caveats to Oxford - they have somewhat patchy student support from what I've heard, and even if you are deeply interested in your subject the environment can be pretty high pressure still.

If you just want to coast by to a 2:1 and spend more of your time engaged in social endeavours than academic ones though, then it's definitely likely to be a worse option than an alternative. That said, you will still have a social life at Oxford, if you so choose, and if they're anything like the Cambridge students I have no doubt the students "let their hair down" at Oxford as well as the best of them...

I would suggest you focus less on those elements and look at the course itself more, and see how that fits your interests. For example, Psychology at Oxford is very scientific, and you'll study physiology and neurobiology more formally than you might in some other psychology courses. If you don't enjoy the sciences (particularly biology) it may be less appealing. You can study Psychology along with either/both of Philosophy or Linguistics there, but generally other combinations aren't possible as you would need to change course entirely. Thus, if you wanted to study psychology in combination with other subjects than those (for example, sociology, politics, languages, other sciences not directly relevant to psychology), other courses may offer more flexibility.
Yeah, that's what I would have thought too. I do like the scientific side of Psychology, and there are still elements of Linguistics involved in the EP course right?

I am used to a fairly heavy workload but I just hope it won't get to the point where I'm not sleeping because of it as I have seen others experience. I am not extremely bothered about a lack of social life either, but thank you for your reply!
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by muffinlova)
I'm in Y12 at the moment and I want to study Psychology at Uni. I've been looking at Oxford recently and like the look of the course, but I keep seeing a lot of horror stories about the place in general, for example the extreme workload or that everyone is posh etc

I am at a private school rn, trust me I'm not posh myself but I have seen a lot of them so I don't think that will be the worst thing, but I don't know if I should still apply. Would people say that the pros outweigh the cons?
So, outsiders have the view that everyone at private schools is posh. You are at a private school and you know that's not the case.

Oxbridge is similarly mythologised as being posh. Consider that firstly, the majority are not from private schools at all, and secondly you already know that not all from private schools are posh, and thirdly I hope you'd agree that not all posh people are "snobs"...

Ditto for workload... the workload at private schools is often higher but you manage it don't you? The workload at Oxbridge is higher than the average university, although that's also because terms are short (which means holidays are very long...)

I suggest you visit at least once and see for yourself.
mnot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago

so your probably pretty normal oxford student, most are middle class students from above average wealth background but not 'rich'. Having never been an Oxford student i dont know about workload directly but they have intense 8 week terms where most unis do 10-12 week terms, yes therefore this means more deadlines in tighter timeframes, but the opportunities in the job/academic world after Uni outweigh all other UK unis, yes u will have opportunities at LSE/imperial/UCL/top RG but not as much as Oxford at least apply if u think u have a chance
ephemeral02
Rep:
?
(Original post by Doonesbury)
So, outsiders have the view that everyone at private schools is posh. You are at a private school and you know that's not the case.

Oxbridge is similarly mythologised as being posh. Consider that firstly, the majority are not from private schools at all, and secondly you already know that not all from private schools are posh, and thirdly I hope you'd agree that not all posh people are "snobs"...

Ditto for workload... the workload at private schools is often higher but you manage it don't you? The workload at Oxbridge is higher than the average university, although that's also because terms are short (which means holidays are very long...)

I suggest you visit at least once and see for yourself.
alright, thank you!
ephemeral02
Rep:
?
(Original post by malcolmmarecki)
so your probably pretty normal oxford student, most are middle class students from above average wealth background but not 'rich'. Having never been an Oxford student i dont know about workload directly but they have intense 8 week terms where most unis do 10-12 week terms, yes therefore this means more deadlines in tighter timeframes, but the opportunities in the job/academic world after Uni outweigh all other UK unis, yes u will have opportunities at LSE/imperial/UCL/top RG but not as much as Oxford at least apply if u think u have a chance
yeah the idea of 8 weeks worried me a little but at least i would get to see my cat more often lol, thanks!
Plagioclase
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago

Those horror stories are not true. Yes, the workload is higher than at most other universities but it's definitely not extreme. The general guidance is to treat your studies like a full-time job and that works for most people, so as long as you're enthusiastic about your subject and have reasonable time management skills, you will be fine. Yes, Oxford is overwhelmingly middle-class, but then many other Russel Group universities are. The vast majority of people here are completely down to earth so it's really nothing you need to worry about! There are a few societies where those kinds of people tend to congregate (like the Oxford Union and some of the university-level sports teams) but otherwise it's absolutely fine.

Do bear in mind the points artful_lounger made about the nature of the Experimental Psychology course at Oxford though.
Presence
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
feeling the same except i want to do E+M and i am not in a private school, i feel like people who get in know everything about E+M and are crazy smart and planned to apply since 5 or their parents have prepared them since 5 i have not thought about it until now in year 12 i realised i love the topics of e+m and Oxbridge teaching style
ephemeral02
Rep:
?
(Original post by Presence)
feeling the same except i want to do E+M and i am not in a private school, i feel like people who get in know everything about E+M and are crazy smart and planned to apply since 5 or their parents have prepared them since 5 i have not thought about it until now in year 12 i realised i love the topics of e+m and Oxbridge teaching style
to be fair the state school proportion is increasing a lot, so don't let it put you off as much!
ephemeral02
Rep:
?
(Original post by Plagioclase)
Those horror stories are not true. Yes, the workload is higher than at most other universities but it's definitely not extreme. The general guidance is to treat your studies like a full-time job and that works for most people, so as long as you're enthusiastic about your subject and have reasonable time management skills, you will be fine. Yes, Oxford is overwhelmingly middle-class, but then many other Russel Group universities are. The vast majority of people here are completely down to earth so it's really nothing you need to worry about! There are a few societies where those kinds of people tend to congregate (like the Oxford Union and some of the university-level sports teams) but otherwise it's absolutely fine.

Do bear in mind the points artful_lounger made about the nature of the Experimental Psychology course at Oxford though.
i see, thank you!
username2337287
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Don't apply You place someone who longed to go to be rejected by someone who made a seemingly last-minute decision. I think Oxford is ranked 8 for this course tbf- So it really isnt worth it.
ohdahnnyboi
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago

i live in oxford and i can tell u the majority of people are down to earth and really rather nice. the atmosphere is lovely especially in the city centre, and the standard of learning is high. im at private skl too, but am definitely not posh, so i feel ya lol :laugh:
the university workload is always going to be a lot isn't it - it's uni after all! the people teaching you willonly push you as far as they think u can go, and they really want you to succeed. hope that helps you good luck
ephemeral02
Rep:
?
(Original post by Academic_Medic)
Don't apply You place someone who longed to go to be rejected by someone who made a seemingly last-minute decision. I think Oxford is ranked 8 for this course tbf- So it really isnt worth it.
rank 8? on what ranking? i thought oxford was up maybe just after cambridge and bath
ephemeral02
Rep:
?
(Original post by ohdahnnyboi)
i live in oxford and i can tell u the majority of people are down to earth and really rather nice. the atmosphere is lovely especially in the city centre, and the standard of learning is high. im at private skl too, but am definitely not posh, so i feel ya lol :laugh:
the university workload is always going to be a lot isn't it - it's uni after all! the people teaching you willonly push you as far as they think u can go, and they really want you to succeed. hope that helps you good luck
aw ty it helps a lot
username2337287
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
rank 8? on what ranking? i thought oxford was up maybe just after cambridge and bath
https://www.timeshighereducation.com...asc/cols/stats

THE is one of the more accurate scores
BlueIndigoViolet
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
dont think they look for people who spent their lives yearning for Oxford but who will actually cope and fit in as well as excel in their learning environment lol
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
That user spreads a lot of nonsense and can never back anything he says up - I'd be cautious in interpreting anything he says.

Of course Oxford is excellent for psychology. The course is quite different though - its experimental psychology and focuses very much on that. Its not clinical psychology.

To answer your original question, as Doonesbury says: as you go to a private school most people would consider you to be one of the posh ones! I do not think that is an aspect of Oxford you need to worry about.

Its hard to quantify as it varies between individuals, but its honestly not that bad, especially if you are ok with being average/below average and just aiming for that solid 2.1! A bit more work than A-levels maybe. Oxford students are human too.
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
https://www.timeshighereducation.com...asc/cols/stats

THE is one of the more accurate scores
Why is it more accurate?

Also it lists LSE, which only started offering undergraduate Psychology this year.... ie it currently has zero students.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Abc2001
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Last minute decisions are not bad. The idea that to go to oxford you need to have wanted to go there your whole life just feeds the exclusivism. Surely going to such a great institution should be about the love of your subject and course and not a dream to get into oxford just because It is oxford.
For some people Oxford isn't a rite of passage and it only becomes something they think is applicable for them in sixth form when you start to look at universities.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Jul '20
  • University of Oxford
    Thu, 2 Jul '20
  • University of Oxford
    Fri, 18 Sep '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (407)
67.95%
No (192)
32.05%

Watched Threads