The Student Room Group

Modern and Medieval Languages

Hello,

I am hoping to study modern and medieval languages at Cambridge. However, I don't have a single A-level language to my name. I currently study English literature, history and politics, and am predicted AAA (however, am aiming for as many A*s as possible - since Cambridge prefer such academic profiles at A level).

I initially thought of my interest in languages as a hobby. However, said interest in it grew pretty quickly across my almost two years now at sixth form. I have now come to the decision that taking a gap year to take 2 language A-levels (Spanish and German - both of which I already have GCSE/AS level standard understanding of already) would be most practical for me to be able to apply. All I need do is find a referee from either my school, or another centre, to give me predicted grades (preferably As if I really work at it) for my reference.

Would this set me back? And the fact I got a B in German at GCSE? And decrease my chances of being called for interview, let alone be given an offer?

Thanks,
Yours,
FLM3478
Hi!
I’m also hoping to apply to Cambridge in year 13, to study ASNC, of which languages are a large part. I didn’t initially pick a language A-Level, but when I wrote to Cambridge they said that they were mainly looking for passion and an evidence of linguistic ability. I’m sure taking a gap year to study 2 language A-Levels won’t set you back (on the contrary it will show motivation and the valuable ability to study independently!) but why not write to the languages department at Cambridge (or the college you are applying to) and see what they say?
Hope this helps!
Reply 2
Original post by NoraSmith
Hi!
I’m also hoping to apply to Cambridge in year 13, to study ASNC, of which languages are a large part. I didn’t initially pick a language A-Level, but when I wrote to Cambridge they said that they were mainly looking for passion and an evidence of linguistic ability. I’m sure taking a gap year to study 2 language A-Levels won’t set you back (on the contrary it will show motivation and the valuable ability to study independently!) but why not write to the languages department at Cambridge (or the college you are applying to) and see what they say?
Hope this helps!

Hello,

Oh my, even better! Such circumstances may work in my favour, after all! Not only that, but when I'm angry, stressed or bored, I gravitate towards learning languages and doing vocabulary.

Thanks,
Yours,
FLM3478
Do check with the university though, as they’ll be able to offer you the best advice!
You should absolutely contact the colleges you're interested in to get their view.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending