Which uni places greater weighting on GCSEs? Oxford OR Cambridge Watch

all9_GCSE
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Does Oxford or Cambridge place greater emphasis on GCSEs during its admissions process?
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Oxford, they use it as a formal method of shortlisting for interview for most courses.

Cambridge don't really put a great deal of weight on GCSEs, and interview a higher proportion of applicants. They use GCSEs more in the post interview deselection process, and they are generally not considered to be good indicators of academic ability for degree level work according to Cambridge's research and so they don't weigh them greatly. All of the Cambridge ATs with reps on TSR have stated they have never rejected an applicant solely on the basis of GCSE grades.
all9_GCSE
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Oxford, they use it as a formal method of shortlisting for interview for most courses.

Cambridge don't really put a great deal of weight on GCSEs, and interview a higher proportion of applicants. They use GCSEs more in the post interview deselection process, and they are generally not considered to be good indicators of academic ability for degree level work according to Cambridge's research and so they don't weigh them greatly. All of the Cambridge ATs with reps on TSR have stated they have never rejected an applicant solely on the basis of GCSE grades.
If ,for example, I have got all 9s in my GCSEs, would that mean Oxford would prefer me as compared to Cambridge, who would not place much weight of my results?
sotor
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
for medicine oxford consider gcse's 50%

for any subject, oxford would consider you highly for having all 9s, and score you more highly than applicants with less. this would have a greater effect if you're at a state school (like me! i have an offer and have all A* at gcse)
all9_GCSE
Rep:
?
(Original post by sotor)

for any subject, oxford would consider you highly for having all 9s, and score you more highly than applicants with less. this would have a greater effect if you're at a state school (like me! i have an offer and have all A* at gcse)
I did my GCSEs at a grammar school, but am doing my A levels at a private school. Will I be disadvantaged from a contextual perspective?

P.S: I want to study computer science at Oxbridge, if that makes a difference?
sotor
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by all9_GCSE)
I did my GCSEs at a grammar school, but am doing my A levels at a private school. Will I be disadvantaged from a contextual perspective?

don't know anything about computer science sorry! i can't speak for cambridge either, i dont know any specifics about their process.

as far as I'm aware, you won't be disadvantaged. you just won't receive the extra boost given to state school applicants, to help contextualise their results with the lower level of support typically offered by a state school.
so if you have less than amazing results at gcse from a grammar school, it may be better to apply to cambridge as your results will be considered slightly lower than a state school applicant with the same results at oxford, if you understand what i mean.

if you got all 9s anyway, you won't have a problem and that part of your application will be considered highly!!
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
If ,for example, I have got all 9s in my GCSEs, would that mean Oxford would prefer me as compared to Cambridge, who would not place much weight of my results?
The format at Cambridge means they aren't going to immediately reject you or negatively view your application if you have poor GCSEs, but a strong application otherwise. At Oxford (particularly for certain competitive courses) poor GCSEs could well be a reason to be rejected pre interview.

After interview both of them are likely to weigh other factors more heavily, so excellent GCSEs may not ameliorate a poor interview, or poor results on a relevant admissions test in either case. However if you have poorer GCSE results, Cambridge is more likely to interview you in the first place, for most courses.

If you have good GCSE results then they're pretty much equivalent. Needless to say, in that case you should be choosing between them based on the course and other relevant criteria (such as location, facilities etc) rather than which you think will be a "higher" chance of getting in, since it'll be similar in either case.
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago

The MAT is more important than your GCSEs for Oxford.

And for Cambridge GCSEs don't really matter much. CSAT and the rest is more important.

Pick the course you prefer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by sotor)
*pre-interview
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (6)
7.59%
Disagree (5)
6.33%
Neither agree or disagree (22)
27.85%
Agree (32)
40.51%
Strongly Agree (14)
17.72%

Watched Threads