The Student Room Group

should i learn this topic on my own

i didnt put this in the psychology forum bc it wont get responses

i'm not sure whether i should learn 1 topic (called Gender) on my own, or learn the one our school teaches (called Relationships). Relationships topic is too hard and i cant see myself learning it, and IT IS POSSIBLE to CHOOSE Gender.

i dont wanna tell my teachers because they're gonna say i'm being difficult, but what am i supposed to do during lessons when we're learning Relationships?

we have 8 ish weeks to learn it, and i don't like relationships at all.
Sounds like your best option is just to follow your school’s choice and study Relationships with the rest of your class. Your teacher likely chose it over Gender for a reason - like that they feel more confident teaching it or consider it easier. Assuming you’re on AQA, I’ll say that the exam board can be a bit picky, so it might be best to learn straight from a teacher who can ‘translate’ it for you and give you hints that you might not get from the textbook.

It would probably be a better use of your lesson time too, especially if you’ve already started learning Relationships and only have 8 weeks to learn a whole new topic from the beginning.

I will say, however, that Gender is a pretty simple topic that’s quite short - just in case you do decide to do it.

Up to you, but I vote you keep on the Relationships grind.
Original post by lukelarnie
Sounds like your best option is just to follow your school’s choice and study Relationships with the rest of your class. Your teacher likely chose it over Gender for a reason - like that they feel more confident teaching it or consider it easier. Assuming you’re on AQA, I’ll say that the exam board can be a bit picky, so it might be best to learn straight from a teacher who can ‘translate’ it for you and give you hints that you might not get from the textbook.

It would probably be a better use of your lesson time too, especially if you’ve already started learning Relationships and only have 8 weeks to learn a whole new topic from the beginning.

I will say, however, that Gender is a pretty simple topic that’s quite short - just in case you do decide to do it.

Up to you, but I vote you keep on the Relationships grind.

yeah im really struggling with psychology in terms of memorizing everything, i REALLY don't want a NEW thick topic to learn, i just wanna revise now and gender just is so easy and short (i read it). relationships is TOO long and all those studies :frown: i got SO bored reading it.

in terms of my teachers giving me hints on how to do well in the exam, i don't mind really. i just dont want more BORING stuff to memorise. i really want to do well

i just hope gender isn't too complicated in the exam??? what do u think??
Original post by ggxsywes
yeah im really struggling with psychology in terms of memorizing everything, i REALLY don't want a NEW thick topic to learn, i just wanna revise now and gender just is so easy and short (i read it). relationships is TOO long and all those studies :frown: i got SO bored reading it.

in terms of my teachers giving me hints on how to do well in the exam, i don't mind really. i just dont want more BORING stuff to memorise. i really want to do well

If you’re set on doing Gender, nobody can stop you but it might be an awkward conversation with your teacher. I guess see how that conversation goes and if they’re cool with you doing Gender, go for it!

Good luck either way.

Quick Reply

Latest