Applying for history as an independent-Do I need To do work experience?

Watch
Musicgirl97
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I’m hoping to apply to UCAS for a history degree in 2020, I’m wanting to get into Sunderland as my firm choice (I’m attending a open day soon) and I know that work experience/voluntary experience in a relevant job section, can help greatly to make your personal statement look even better. But if I wasn’t able to gain voluntary work in a library, museum/archive centre. Would it matter? As I’m still going to complete online history short courses and read a ton of non-fiction history books, as well as listen to historical podcasts and seminars. Which should all help towards making a good personal statement as an independent.

P.S I already have A level equivalents, and I’ve been out of education for only 2 years, so I’m not completing a Access to HE and not applying to UCAS through a college. Hence why I’m applying as an individual, but I am however using an ex lecturer as my reference as he taught me for 3 years.
cheesecakelove
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Musicgirl97)
I’m hoping to apply to UCAS for a history degree in 2020, I’m wanting to get into Sunderland as my firm choice (I’m attending a open day soon) and I know that work experience/voluntary experience in a relevant job section, can help greatly to make your personal statement look even better. But if I wasn’t able to gain voluntary work in a library, museum/archive centre. Would it matter? As I’m still going to complete online history short courses and read a ton of non-fiction history books, as well as listen to historical podcasts and seminars. Which should all help towards making a good personal statement as an independent.

P.S I already have A level equivalents, and I’ve been out of education for only 2 years, so I’m not completing a Access to HE and not applying to UCAS through a college. Hence why I’m applying as an individual, but I am however using an ex lecturer as my reference as he taught me for 3 years.
When applying to UCAS, you want to demonstrate your interest in a subject and your own academic and personal achievements. Relevant work experience/voluntary work related to history can help, but your wider reading and further study would also work in your favour too.

You mention that you have been out of education for 2 years - what have you been doing since then?
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I know that work experience/voluntary experience in a relevant job section, can help greatly to make your personal statement look even better. But if I wasn’t able to gain voluntary work in a library, museum/archive centre. Would it matter?
You don't need any work experience at all.

Your grades, and interest in your subject, are what matters.

94% of History applicants get an offer at Sunderland. Don't stress over it...
https://university.which.co.uk/unive...9-c0b5841ad406
Musicgirl97
Rep:
?
(Original post by cheesecakelove)
When applying to UCAS, you want to demonstrate your interest in a subject and your own academic and personal achievements. Relevant work experience/voluntary work related to history can help, but your wider reading and further study would also work in your favour too.

You mention that you have been out of education for 2 years - what have you been doing since then?
I have been working in retail, I’ve had two retail jobs and I’ve also took part in a princes trust course with M&S. But yes, I am going to try and get work experience if I can. I’m also studying for my maths qualification so, I may not have the time. But I’m still going to focus on completing the short courses and reading up on a lot of history and history study guidance books.
Musicgirl97
Rep:
?
(Original post by Doonesbury)
You don't need any work experience at all.

Your grades, and interest in your subject, are what matters.

94% of History applicants get an offer at Sunderland. Don't stress over it...
https://university.which.co.uk/unive...9-c0b5841ad406
Thank you for the reassurance ☺️. Also, my plan is to apply for the normal History BA (Hons) Degree, I’m studying for my maths qualification however, if I was given a conditional offer And I wasn’t able to get my level 2 maths in time (I should do though). Would I be able to contact the university directly and ask to be put onto the Intergrated Foundation year with history BA (Hons), which is the same course just with an extra year (foundation year). Or would they possibly offer this route to me once I told them i didn’t get my maths?(if it came to that). Or would I need to reapply through UCAS extra?
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thank you for the reassurance ☺️. Also, my plan is to apply for the normal History BA (Hons) Degree, I’m studying for my maths qualification however, if I was given a conditional offer And I wasn’t able to get my level 2 maths in time (I should do though). Would I be able to contact the university directly and ask to be put onto the Intergrated Foundation year with history BA (Hons), which is the same course just with an extra year (foundation year). Or would they possibly offer this route to me once I told them i didn’t get my maths?(if it came to that). Or would I need to reapply through UCAS extra?
Speak to the university about your circumstances now. They will be happy to help.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (637)
33.53%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (801)
42.16%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (376)
19.79%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (86)
4.53%

Watched Threads