Advice on my first car

Watch
Blayne4
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi I am a 17 year old male who is staring driving lessons soon, just wanted to know if anyone had any first car recommendations. The car requirements are, it has to look good (I'm not driving an ugly car), it has to be automatic, it has to be under £1500 becuse i will be selling my moped to pay for it. And it also has to be cheap to insure. I know it will be hard to find a car that meets all these requirements, but there has to be some. So if you can help me out that would be great.
Last edited by Blayne4; 1 year ago
Anonymous #1
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Blayne4)
Hi I am 17 and staring driving lessons soon, just wanted to know if anyone had any first car recommendations. The car requirements are, it has to look good (I'm not driving an ugly car), it has to be under £1000 becuse i will be selling my moped to pay for it. And it also has to be cheap to insure. I know it will be hard to find a car that meets all these requirements, but there has to be some. So if you can help me out that would be great.
this is a joke right? 9/10 troll, almost believable
tesconyc
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
get a lupa
Trihawk7
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
These are good first wagons

Name:  fiat-multipla-1-9-jtd.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  34.0 KB
Anonymous #2
Report 1 year ago
My Ford Fiesta is cute and was under £1000 with only 23,000 miles for a 2005 car but wasn’t that cheap with insurance (£1700 for the year no black box)
Blayne4
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous)
this is a joke right? 9/10 troll, almost believable
What?
Freya.Interhigh
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Nothing for a young driver will be cheap to insure sadly, you are in the high risk catagory until your 25 I believe. I paid £1100 for my first year of insurance but it went down considerably for the second year because my family insured all the cars with the same provider which turned out to be very useful. I’d try look for something economical and reliable rather than just cheap off the bat because your going to run into problems further down the line. I have an 09 car that does 50mpg but has still cost a considerable amount in up keep despite the fact it only has 58,000 on the clock
TheMcSame
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Is there any specific reason it has to be an automatic? I strongly recommend you seek to pass in a manual. Being able to drive a manual vastly increases your options. Automatics are also a costly option here in the UK so an automatic will likely cost more than it's manual counterpart.

As for looks, given you requirements, you might have to be a bit lenient on this.

For £1500 I reckon you'd be able to pick up something half decent assuming this isn't your budget for a car+insurance. Personally, I'd look towards a diesel. Imo, cars with small diesel engines are much better to drive than cars with small petrol engines, especially if you do choose to go the manual route instead. Not to mention that, generally speaking, diesels tend to cope better with high mileage.

Insurance is going to be a killer no matter what car you pick at this point. Young drivers get absolutely shafted with high premiums, especially us males. Your first year is going to cost you a bomb, get through that without issue and it should reduce considerably. IIRC mine went down from nearly £2700 for my first year to ~£1100 for my second.

I can't particularly come up with any specific recommendations, but I'd probably look towards Ford or Toyota. Fords generally seem to last a while, a lot of old cars I see on the roads are Fords. Same goes for Toyota as well, Toyota also has a pretty solid reliability record across the board.
Blayne4
Rep:
?
(Original post by TheMcSame)
Is there any specific reason it has to be an automatic? I strongly recommend you seek to pass in a manual. Being able to drive a manual vastly increases your options. Automatics are also a costly option here in the UK so an automatic will likely cost more than it's manual counterpart.

As for looks, given you requirements, you might have to be a bit lenient on this.

For £1500 I reckon you'd be able to pick up something half decent assuming this isn't your budget for a car+insurance. Personally, I'd look towards a diesel. Imo, cars with small diesel engines are much better to drive than cars with small petrol engines, especially if you do choose to go the manual route instead. Not to mention that, generally speaking, diesels tend to cope better with high mileage.

Insurance is going to be a killer no matter what car you pick at this point. Young drivers get absolutely shafted with high premiums, especially us males. Your first year is going to cost you a bomb, get through that without issue and it should reduce considerably. IIRC mine went down from nearly £2700 for my first year to ~£1100 for my second.

I can't particularly come up with any specific recommendations, but I'd probably look towards Ford or Toyota. Fords generally seem to last a while, a lot of old cars I see on the roads are Fords. Same goes for Toyota as well, Toyota also has a pretty solid reliability record across the board.
I'm going to be doing automatic lessons becuse i want to get on the road as fast as possible and i know that automatic cars are alot easier to drive compared to manuals. Plus I would never buy a manual because i dont want to be stalling every five seconds and eventually every car will be automatic, except classic cars. Also my mom and dad have a automatic Volvo which I will be practicing in so i dont see a point in wasting money on manual lessons. However, thank you for the great advice.
TheMcSame
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
i dont want to be stalling every five seconds and eventually every car will be automatic, except classic cars. Also my mom and dad have a automatic Volvo which I will be practicing in so i dont see a point in wasting money on manual lessons. However, thank you for the great advice.
Stalling won't be an issue once you've got used to the car. It's also one of the reasons I prefer small diesels over small petrols, the extra low-end torque makes them far more forgiving. It also makes for effortless travel in slow moving traffic.

As for the comment about every car being automatic? The ban on pure petrol/diesel cars won't be put into effect until 2040 (the vast majority of hybrids are automatics/CVT), and cars generally stick around for 10-15 years. Realistically, manuals probably wont die off until that time, and the used market will still likely be littered with manual cars until ~2050.
jameswhughes
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm going to be doing automatic lessons becuse i want to get on the road as fast as possible and i know that automatic cars are alot easier to drive compared to manuals. Plus I would never buy a manual because i dont want to be stalling every five seconds and eventually every car will be automatic, except classic cars. Also my mom and dad have a automatic Volvo which I will be practicing in so i dont see a point in wasting money on manual lessons. However, thank you for the great advice.
Having automatic lessons (unless you have a medical reason for doing so) is a false economy, the small amount of time and money you might save will be lost when you can't drive most cheap cars, rental cars, vans, courtesy cars etc.

Every car might eventually be automatic but we're still 10+ years away from that, and especially with your budget you're going to be looking at cheap used cars, the overwhelming majority of which will be manuals.
Freya.Interhigh
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Totally agree with the above, take the manual test. Gears aren’t the most difficult thing in the world once you get used to them.
DarkIronsBarzakh
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi I am a 17 year old male who is staring driving lessons soon, just wanted to know if anyone had any first car recommendations. The car requirements are, it has to look good (I'm not driving an ugly car), it has to be automatic, it has to be under £1500 becuse i will be selling my moped to pay for it. And it also has to be cheap to insure. I know it will be hard to find a car that meets all these requirements, but there has to be some. So if you can help me out that would be great.
Lower your expectations. Its gonna look like crap. Second ebay is a godsend I found a decent clio on there that the only drawback was it had been left standing for a while.
its not hard just gotta know what you're looking for
Blayne4
Rep:
?
(Original post by jameswhughes)
Having automatic lessons (unless you have a medical reason for doing so) is a false economy, the small amount of time and money you might save will be lost when you can't drive most cheap cars, rental cars, vans, courtesy cars etc.

Every car might eventually be automatic but we're still 10+ years away from that, and especially with your budget you're going to be looking at cheap used cars, the overwhelming majority of which will be manuals.
Thanks for your input, but the main reason I'm doing automatic lessons is because i want to get on the road as fast as possible, becuse my moped isn't very practical and its only fun in the sun and when the roads are dry. Plus my dad has an automatic Volvo that i will be learning in and driving in when i pass untill i get a car, and it only cost him £600 so i think i will be able to find an automtic car within my budget. Also i would rather buy a more expensive auto and not have to worry about changing gears than buy a manual. But thanks for the advice anyway.
jameswhughes
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thanks for your input, but the main reason I'm doing automatic lessons is because i want to get on the road as fast as possible, becuse my moped isn't very practical and its only fun in the sun and when the roads are dry. Plus my dad has an automatic Volvo that i will be learning in and driving in when i pass untill i get a car, and it only cost him £600 so i think i will be able to find an automtic car within my budget. Also i would rather buy a more expensive auto and not have to worry about changing gears than buy a manual. But thanks for the advice anyway.
Changing gears really isn't that hard, most people who learn to drive in the UK manage it. Are you having any driving lessons, or just learning on your dad's car? That's not a great idea either, it's worth having lessons so that you get some advice from someone who knows all about the test.

The time saving is really not worth it, there's no point passing a month earlier when you'll end up on a restricted license for the rest of your life.
Blayne4
Rep:
?
(Original post by jameswhughes)
Changing gears really isn't that hard, most people who learn to drive in the UK manage it. Are you having any driving lessons, or just learning on your dad's car? That's not a great idea either, it's worth having lessons so that you get some advice from someone who knows all about the test.

The time saving is really not worth it, there's no point passing a month earlier when you'll end up on a restricted license for the rest of your life.
I will be taking a 1 hour lesson every week and i won't be on a restricted licence for the rest of my life becuse at can take the manual lessons and test later on, mabye in a year or so.
jameswhughes
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I will be taking a 1 hour lesson every week and i won't be on a restricted licence for the rest of my life becuse at can take the manual lessons and test later on, mabye in a year or so.
You're not going to want to go back and do lessons and tests all over again in a years time. Just do it properly and learn manual from the start. :lol:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (22)
18.64%
I'm not sure (2)
1.69%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (35)
29.66%
I have already dropped out (3)
2.54%
I'm not a current university student (56)
47.46%

Watched Threads