The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

foundation programme

Hi,
i am currently doing my A levels first year in my country and I would like to come to UK to do my foundation programme. I will be starting this September 2019. I was looking for a university outside London but near it as London is expensive and a good uni outside would be cheaper. I wanted to do the business and economics foundation programme at Sussex and I wanted to know how it is and I also wanted to know that if I get good grades in my foundation like 80% can I switch universities for my bachelors like Durham, kings college, cass business school or queen Mary through my UCAS application? like will these unis take me for their bachelors after I do my foundation from Sussex and get good grades. is it possible? I have also gotten an offer to do my foundation from bellerbys college Brighton and I know after doing their foundation I can get into top ranked unis if I get the grades like Durham, Lancaster and many other but is it same with uni of Sussex as well? and how is bellerbys college? the environment and the students and the college itself. I will be 18 when I start my foundation course but since the college Is also for under 18 kids will I have restrictions on me? please let me know about Sussex and bellerbys both as I am really doublminded about which ones to go to and which ones has a better progression rate to other unis?
I did the Sussex foundation year so I can give you my view... ngl it was a waste of time you don’t really learn much if you’ve done a levels. The work load isn’t a lot and you only do 4 modules for the whole year, since I did the business foundation year, you have to do the business module, quantitative methods for economics, academic development ( basically how to write essays and do presentations, the biggest waste of time, 3 hour seminar talking about it) and then you have an elective (optional module you can choose) I chose law and politics which was a bad decision, it’s pretty boring and it doesn’t really cover any law) the only good thing about doing the foundation year is that it allows your to join 1st year as long as you get over the minimum pass grade, if you fail foundation year, you shouldn’t go onto university in my opinion.

Now in regards of switching uni... it doesn’t quite work like that, doing a foundation year is only relevant to the uni you take it I phoned up a bunch of unis asking if they would accept a transfer but they said, they would only take foundation students from their own university program, because a foundation isn’t an actual qualification or anything, you don’t get a certificate or anything, it’s just an additional year you do. rarely and I mean rarely can you transfer uni because you did a foundation year, if you look to transfer, they will look at your a level grade and if it doesn’t match their 1st year requirements your probably going to get a no. Most reason people do a foundation year is because they didn’t get the grade to go onto 1st year.... but it’s a mix bag, aim to get into a 1st year place at a top uni, or take the foundation year and stay at Sussex,
Original post by javed111
Hi,
i am currently doing my A levels first year in my country and I would like to come to UK to do my foundation programme. I will be starting this September 2019. I was looking for a university outside London but near it as London is expensive and a good uni outside would be cheaper. I wanted to do the business and economics foundation programme at Sussex and I wanted to know how it is and I also wanted to know that if I get good grades in my foundation like 80% can I switch universities for my bachelors like Durham, kings college, cass business school or queen Mary through my UCAS application? like will these unis take me for their bachelors after I do my foundation from Sussex and get good grades. is it possible? I have also gotten an offer to do my foundation from bellerbys college Brighton and I know after doing their foundation I can get into top ranked unis if I get the grades like Durham, Lancaster and many other but is it same with uni of Sussex as well? and how is bellerbys college? the environment and the students and the college itself. I will be 18 when I start my foundation course but since the college Is also for under 18 kids will I have restrictions on me? please let me know about Sussex and bellerbys both as I am really doublminded about which ones to go to and which ones has a better progression rate to other unis?
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Reply 2
Hi,

Never go to Bellerbys College. I am a past student and it’s scam. They steal so much money out of you and treat like ****. At the end you fail and end up doing another foundation year in a university. Don’t waste your time on them. If you still consider taking a year in foundation, only take in in a university where you will be able to progress immediately after the course is finished.

Quick Reply