The Student Room Group

what are the current issues in primary education?

Hi, I’ve got a PGCE interview next Wednesday at MMU and I’m struggling to find an educational debate to present! Any help will be appreciated
Original post by ulku1008
Hi, I’ve got a PGCE interview next Wednesday at MMU and I’m struggling to find an educational debate to present! Any help will be appreciated

Surely you can find a topic that interests you on the educational section of any news website? How about TES?
Reply 2
Original post by ulku1008

We are taught a lot of stuff like it's obvious. The simplest example would be counting. We teach kids our number system: 1,2,3,4,5,... as it's something trivial without realising the fact that it took thousands of years to be developed (take a look at roman or greek number system for example) and is in fact one of the triumphs of our civilisation. Teaching students to count 1,2,3,... not only makes them subtly compelled to accept the fact that this is the only way to count but it also kills their imagination. Neither do they learn to appreciate the beauty of the number system. I would rather be someone who can "think", imagine and appreciate mathematics than someone who can solve an A level maths paper algorithmically without understanding what's going on.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending