JAG95
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Title says it all really. I’ve passed all previous moslers but I’m not sure if there’s an increase in expectations for end of year moslers/how to revise for them. I struggle with knowing how to revise medicine anyway so!
JAG95
Rep:
?
Title says it all really. I’ve passed all previous moslers but I’m not sure if there’s an increase in expectations for end of year moslers/how to revise for them. I struggle with knowing how to revise medicine anyway so!
lorry:)
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Erm what is a mosler? 😂😂
JAG95
Rep:
?
It’s basically 14 to take a history and perform a relevant examination, then 5-10m to like present and be asked questions (usually v hard), and then you get 5m of feedback. So kinda similar to an osce but with a quiz added on and idk how to prepare for the questions they could ask!
Angury
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by JAG95)
It’s basically 14 to take a history and perform a relevant examination, then 5-10m to like present and be asked questions (usually v hard), and then you get 5m of feedback. So kinda similar to an osce but with a quiz added on and idk how to prepare for the questions they could ask!
Do you have set stations e.g. Cardiology, Respiratory etc?

I basically read through the OHCM to have a good idea of what signs/symptoms to pick up on, common investigations and initial management for common conditions in each speciality and then practiced the examinations on a pillow.

I then practiced how I found present my findings until I could do it without freezing up. I'd also pretend to present certain conditions which would make me think about what signs I'd illicit from the examination, then go on to talk about what I would do next i.e. test my clinical knowledge. I'd also think of common questions for such diseases.

Some people find it useful to study in groups and practice on each other; I personally didn't.

How have you revised for these before and did you do well in them? If so, whatever technique you've been using so far has been working.
JAG95
Rep:
?
There’s no set stations, it’s basically a surprise but we have categories (2x medical, 2x surgical, 1x Acute, 1x communication). For the specialities moslers it was pretty easy to just go over bits for that speciality the night before and we’d also been working in just that speciality for a few weeks prior so it was all pretty fresh.

How do you come up with what questions they could ask? That’s the bit I’m most worried about tbh
Angury
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by JAG95)
There’s no set stations, it’s basically a surprise but we have categories (2x medical, 2x surgical, 1x Acute, 1x communication). For the specialities moslers it was pretty easy to just go over bits for that speciality the night before and we’d also been working in just that speciality for a few weeks prior so it was all pretty fresh.

How do you come up with what questions they could ask? That’s the bit I’m most worried about tbh
Think about what type of stations might come up and common presentations of patients they might give you, e.g. aortic stenosis - causes of aortic stenosis, investigations, management etc. My experience of these exams was that the questions were generally quite similar e.g. how would you manage this condition, what are the causes of x, what investigations would you do etc. This is where I find the OHCM helpful.

Also speak to students in the year above you who have been through them to get an idea of what they were tested on.
Brachioradialis
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by JAG95)

Sooooo I've had my first 4 OSLERs (not same school as you by sounds of it, but same examination style). We get 10 min Hx, 5 min Ex, 15 mins thinking time, 15 mins feedback and viva.

Get your histories and examinations down to a tee early - to be honest I've been cramming examinations of late and I'm pretty sure it showed today!

Common cases become obvious over time but try and have a word with people in years above about their finals cases. Word does spread. Aortic stenosis, endocrine stuff (stable and signs e.g. acromegaly), renal cases are usually stable with signs e.g. CKD and fistulas, stomas, COPD, IPF etc...

Once you've got a top differential, stick with it unless they tell you otherwise. You learn over time the usual bedside, bloods, imaging, special tests - but loads of good resources for this. Both 'Medical Finals - Passing the clinical' and 'Rapid Medicine' have proved good books. The former for viva style questions per specialty (I think theres a surgical version too), the latter for getting the 'high yield' summaries to regurgitate e.g. which investigations, management etc.

Don't forget easy marks for ICE, allergies, good rapport with patient and using the biopsychosocial approach to 'patient problems'. Also conservative, medical, surgical proforma for management.

You'll be fine, just practice hard
Last edited by Brachioradialis; 2 years ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (61)
4.6%
Uncertainty around my education (204)
15.38%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (147)
11.09%
Lack of purpose or motivation (186)
14.03%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (59)
4.45%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (76)
5.73%
Loneliness (118)
8.9%
Financial worries (47)
3.54%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (60)
4.52%
Exposure to negative news/social media (62)
4.68%
Lack of real life entertainment (69)
5.2%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (115)
8.67%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (122)
9.2%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed