Looking for some advice Watch

rosamareng
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi everyone!

I'm after some advice.

I'm a early years teacher from Sweden with a couple of years work experience.
I have a bachelor's degree in Early years teaching and in Sweden that qualifies me to teach children up to the age of 7. I've been in the UK now for roughly two years and I'm currently not working as a teacher, but I would love to get back into it.
I'm currently struggling a little bit to find employment here, since the job application process is quite different. I really need some advice and I was wondering if anyone could possibly help? I've got a few questions.

1. How do I write a teaching cv? Would anyone possibly be able to send me an example of one.
2. Are there any specific teaching job sites that I should be using? I've mainly been using Indeed and TES, so far with little luck.
3. I'm a bit confused about EYT Status. I've read that I can get an assessment to get the status, but it costs £2,500 and you need to be currently working as a teacher to have the assessment. I'm wondering if anyone here has gone through this process and have more information regarding it?

I'm grateful for any help I could get Thank you!
CoolCavy
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Moved to Teacher training, teaching and education jobs
LucyDee1
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi there,

I fully empathise with your situation, and hope I can help with the following advice:

1. No, we don’t generally send CVs for education jobs. Most teacher vacancies will require you to fill in an online application form, and most schools don’t accept CVs.
2. Look on a map at the schools near to you. Then find their websites and look around their website for the vacancies page. Send your application directly to the school, following the instructions on the vacancy page. Or, call the reception and kindly ask if they have any vacancies. You could even ask to speak to the HR manager and ask if they would have any advice for you, given your situation.
3. Every school is different, and there are vast differences between the qualifications needed to teach at different age groups, and within private or government schools. Again, call the school and ask them what they require.
4. Call a school you like and ask them if it would be possible for you to do a day of voluntary work in the classroom to get a better idea of how English schools work. This way you can build relationships with schools, the teachers will probably give you advice, and you might even come away with an interested employer. The school community is a really network in the UK, a lot of local schools are connected to each other in ‘alliances’ or ‘trusts’, so start to get them excited about you! They will all start to talk to one another about this wonderful new potential teacher - but you might need to shove yourself under their noses first!
5. Use your country’s fantastic educational reputation to help you! Teachers would probably be delighted to have you in their classroom as it would be an opportunity for them to learn your teaching practices, and for the children to learn about different cultures. You could even offer to teach them about your home country, or a few words of the language?

Those are just my ideas. The teachers and schools I have dealt with in my search for employment have been utterly wonderful and exceptionally helpful. Wishing you the best of luck.

I really hope this helps,
Lucy
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (82)
16.17%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (53)
10.45%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (92)
18.15%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (75)
14.79%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (53)
10.45%
How can I be the best version of myself? (152)
29.98%

Watched Threads