leonamay1
Badges: 11
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Hi,

I'm not looking for help as such, just someone in a similar situation to me.

I am currently studying a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Electrical/Electronic Engineering. When I started this course, I was made aware this is equivalent to 3 A-Levels (I have checked UCAS points, and it is).

I have applied to 5 universities to study a BEng Electronic Engineering, and am looking at degree apprenticeships. One uni gave me an unconditional (yay), but 3 others are trying to turn me down or refer me to foundation year since I wasn't doing a Maths A-Level.

I have now found a centre near me where I can take the AQA Further Maths A-Level (only exam dates I can sit), and am waiting to hear from unis again.

I find it a bit unfair, since they accept A-Level students that are only taking 3, but I am now taking the equivalent of 4 just to be accepted like the others.

Has anyone else has this issue? Having the right BTEC but still needing an A-Level to be accepted?

Thanks for reading.
Molseh
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Generally the better ranked the school the less keen they are on BTECs. I guess that is due to the content of them but I am not sure, as to whether that is right of them or not who am I to say. Did you check the Entry requirements before applying?
Hope you manage to sort it out!
swanseajack1
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Maths A level is usually required for engineering courses whether you take A levels or Btecs and this is usually stated on their entry requirements which you should have read before applying. It isnt unfair. If someone took A levels in say Chemistry, Physics and Biology they would be treated in the same way. Universities believe the BTEC doesnt have enough Maths in them to help you complete the course hence the offer for the foundation course to bring your Maths to the required standard.
leonamay1
(Original post by swanseajack1)
Maths A level is usually required for engineering courses whether you take A levels or Btecs and this is usually stated on their entry requirements which you should have read before applying. It isnt unfair. If someone took A levels in say Chemistry, Physics and Biology they would be treated in the same way. Universities believe the BTEC doesnt have enough Maths in them to help you complete the course hence the offer for the foundation course to bring your Maths to the required standard.
Hi, thanks for your reply.

I understand your point. However I take all available maths units in my BTEC, and teachers have informed me they are equivalent to Maths A-Level. I get that it works differently but at the end of the day I am learning the content I need, and a foundation year will just recap that. I shouldn't be at a disadvantage just because I chose to take a different type of qualification.

Thanks again.
leonamay1
(Original post by Molseh)
Generally the better ranked the school the less keen they are on BTECs. I guess that is due to the content of them but I am not sure, as to whether that is right of them or not who am I to say. Did you check the Entry requirements before applying?
Hope you manage to sort it out!
Thanks for your reply!

I did look at entry requirements, and at the time of applying there was little to no info on it. Most universities only mentioned the fact they accept BTEC. After applying, I noticed more had started saying they need Maths A-Level alongside it. I take all available maths units on my course, and teachers have told me these are equivalent to Maths A-Level.

I am taking a Further Maths A-Level hopefully so should all be sorted. When I talk to people in my class I feel like I'm the only person having this issue.

Thanks again.
Molseh
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by leonamay1)
I am taking a Further Maths A-Level hopefully so should all be sorted. When I talk to people in my class I feel like I'm the only person having this issue.
Thanks again.
Hopefully the Further Maths will sort you out nicely.

Just speculatiing but possibly the others in your class haven't applied to as decent institutions.
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by leonamay1)
Hi, thanks for your reply.

I understand your point. However I take all available maths units in my BTEC, and teachers have informed me they are equivalent to Maths A-Level. I get that it works differently but at the end of the day I am learning the content I need, and a foundation year will just recap that. I shouldn't be at a disadvantage just because I chose to take a different type of qualification.

Thanks again.
Most universities especially leading ones require Maths A levels for Economics, Computer Science, Maths, Physics or Engineering courses whether you take A levels or Btecs and similarly often require Chemistry or Biology A levels for life science courses. You were very badly advised by your school and also should have checked the entry requirements fully. You havent been rejected because you take a different type of course. You have been rejected because you didnt meet the most important entry requirement ie Maths A level. They havent asked you for anything else.
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
It might be worth looking into whether the universities will accept Further Maths as they might not accept it instead of Maths A level. Also most students believe Further Maths A level to be harder than Maths. When did you start this. Is there anyway you could sit Maths A level with a different board even as an external candidate elsewhere. Alternatively look at either accepting your unconditional offer or find a university in extra which does not require Maths A level
gabrielablag
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Further Maths is a lot harder than Maths as it has a lot more content ( in my experience Edexcel board ). For a good grade you need to start revising as soon as possible.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (115)
17.37%
It's just nice to be back! (182)
27.49%
Not great so far... (238)
35.95%
I want to drop out! (127)
19.18%

Watched Threads