The Student Room Group

**eager to know**

why is it nuclear family dominates today`s society
Original post by B3sta

What do you call the "nuclear family"?

As in what comes under it? Physics? chemistry? Engineering? Computer sciences? Materials Sciences? All of the in some way or the other are related to nuclear engineering and then you have the bioLOGICAL sciences which deal with the aftermath.
Reply 2
its general knowledge
Original post by B3sta
its general knowledge

Still dont get u
Reply 4
i looked up the definition and it means

a couple and their dependent children, regarded as a basic social unit.

basically u are asking why families dominant todays society
Reply 5
Original post by nickj7657
Still dont get u

OKAE
Reply 6
Original post by KimNoel
i looked up the definition and it means

a couple and their dependent children, regarded as a basic social unit.

basically u are asking why families dominant todays society

YES thats it
Reply 7
Original post by B3sta
YES thats it

people are dominanting the world because thats what we ha to do
Reply 8
Original post by KimNoel
people are dominanting the world because thats what we ha to do

really?
Reply 9
yes thats why god sent us to protect the land and the people
Maybe worldwide but where I grew up most mother's are married to the state.
Reply 11
Maybe worldwide but where I grew up most mother's are married to the state.
i think that applies a bit of sociology
Original post by B3sta

Nuclear families dominate in today’s society because it is easier for us to live like that now. So for example, in pre-industrial times we used to live in extended families (e.g. with your grandparents, Aunty, uncle etc) so that you could all help out on the farm which you would work on. Now we live in nuclear families because we no longer need extended family members to help us with our job because everyone in the family has different jobs. It is also easier for nuclear families to move house (this is called social mobility) as it will cause less disruption as there are less people. People are more likely to move house in today’s society to look for work or to move in with a partner
Original post by nickj7657
What do you call the "nuclear family"?

As in what comes under it? Physics? chemistry? Engineering? Computer sciences? Materials Sciences? All of the in some way or the other are related to nuclear engineering and then you have the bioLOGICAL sciences which deal with the aftermath.

The 'nuclear family' is a term used to refer to a family made up of a father (husband), mother (wife) and children. Feminists believe that the nuclear family is an oppressive social construct and a function of what they call the patriarchy. They believe that nuclear families are bad for society and that people should find an alternative way of living together:

'The nuclear family must be destroyed, and people must find better ways of living together... Whatever its ultimate meaning, the break-up of families now is an objectively revolutionary process.' Feminist icon Linda Gordon.

I figure from the question, the OP is a feminist and she/he is asking people why they find the idea of a nuclear family acceptable and why its so common in society.

My answer to this question would be that the large majority of people living in society do not subscribe to feminism and its interpretations of life. Hence, most of us don't think there is anything wrong with a 'nuclear family'.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 14
thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending