Having second thoughts... Watch

thestudentinthe
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hey guys,

I'm almost done with the GDL this year, but I have suddenly lost all the motivation I had coming into this academic year. I'm beginning to have second thoughts about this whole solicitor thing. Not quite sure if this is temporary or if it's for real. I'm telling myself to soldier through it and finish off the year, seeing as I'm almost done, but I'm unsure as to what to do after. This year has been self funded so would not like it to go to waste.

I was planning on taking a year out after finishing the GDL and feel like it's almost necessary now. However, I'm worried that after the year out I decide not to commence with the legal route and have this year go to waste (both financially and literally).

Hypothetically speaking, let's say I ended up not doing the LPC, does the GDL hold any weight in other fields?
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Badges: 19
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by thestudentinthe)
Hey guys,

I'm almost done with the GDL this year, but I have suddenly lost all the motivation I had coming into this academic year. I'm beginning to have second thoughts about this whole solicitor thing. Not quite sure if this is temporary or if it's for real. I'm telling myself to soldier through it and finish off the year, seeing as I'm almost done, but I'm unsure as to what to do after. This year has been self funded so would not like it to go to waste.

I was planning on taking a year out after finishing the GDL and feel like it's almost necessary now. However, I'm worried that after the year out I decide not to commence with the legal route and have this year go to waste (both financially and literally).

Hypothetically speaking, let's say I ended up not doing the LPC, does the GDL hold any weight in other fields?
Focus on your exams.
You can always get more experience or apply for tcs on the side.
Deal with the soul searching later, it isnt going to get you any marks.
jacketpotato
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
No, the GDL does not hold weight in other fields.

The GDL is not particularly reflective of what you might do day-to-day in practice, so is not a great measure of what legal life is actually like.

The money you have already spent on the GDL is a "sunk cost", so you should not take that cost into account when making decisions. You should approach things rationally - which means only take into account your options going forward.

For now you just need to pass your GDL to the best of your ability and work out what you want to do after that. You will still want to be able to tell employers that you passed the GDL with flying colours, even if you decide not to proceed to the LPC. Saying that you decided to change career because you gave law a good shot but decided it wasn't for you is a positive message, saying that you had to change career because you failed your exams is not such a good message.

Being able to perform even when you are disinterested and demotivated is an important life skill that you will only develop through practice. Working life is not all roses either.
harrysbar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by thestudentinthe)
Hey guys,

I agree with jacketpotato that you should complete the GDL even though sadly it does not really count for anything outside the legal field. My daughter became equally disillushioned with Law during her GDL and decided not to do the LPC. However, since she passed the course she could still present it in a positive way to employers and is now happily working in a completely different field (Marketing). Yes, we regret the money spent on the GDL but you don't always know if you are cut out for things before trying them, do you?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (129)
17.94%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (73)
10.15%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (124)
17.25%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (104)
14.46%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (70)
9.74%
How can I be the best version of myself? (219)
30.46%

Watched Threads