How to Structure Answers for History A-Level (2019)

Watch
LNíCathain
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi! Just wondering if anyone has good formulas to structure an answer for AQA History A-Level? In Religious Studies, we’ve been given DISC PEREL (different way of doing point, evidence, explain) and a structure for the A and B sections, but I haven’t seen anything similar in History. I’m doing Tudors for the breadth study, and The American Dream for the depth study. I’m particularly struggling with the source questions. If anyone has any ideas, they would be much welcome! Thanks
Last edited by LNíCathain; 2 years ago
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by LNíCathain)
Hi! Just wondering if anyone has good formulas to structure an answer for AQA History A-Level? In Religious Studies, we’ve been given DISC PEREL (different way of doing point, evidence, explain) and a structure for the A and B sections, but I haven’t seen anything similar in History. I’m doing Tudors for the breadth study, and The American Dream for the depth study. I’m particularly struggling with the source questions. If anyone has any ideas, they would be much welcome! Thanks
I would personally discourage using formulas, I've found them too constraining on your writing style.
Have a look through this thread:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4005981
JT_888
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by LNíCathain)
Hey. As a general advice, your responses to any history exam question should be PEEAL'd (Point, Example, Evidence, Analysis, Link) to ensure that you're consistently answering the question. For a source question, you want to have an introduction that quickly summarises the views of the different sources and make it clear you're answering the question. Then in your main paragraphs, you want to be assessing each source by looking at NOP (Nature, Origin and Purpose) and whether it supports/doesn't support the question. In your conclusion, no new point should be made but you should be linking your points back to the question. In an essay based question, it's a similar structure - introduction should briefly outline your argument and that's the basis of your line of argument. In your main paragraphs, you develop your line of argument by using PEEAL and in the conclusion, no new point should be made as you should be bringing back your argument and answer the question. For a thematic essay, there isn't really a structure to follow - refer to what your teacher has taught you. Write in PEEAL though. Hope this makes sense. Alternatively the above link is useful as well.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (37)
9.76%
Okay (110)
29.02%
A bit lacking (141)
37.2%
Not good at all (91)
24.01%

Watched Threads