The Student Room Group

Child benefit.

I am a returning student, so already have an account with you. I have since got married and had children and was able to change my name over the phone with a colleague. I understand I have to send my children’s birth certificates in, however the issue is with proving they are financial dependent on me - they are 4 and 2 so thought that would speak for itself. It says online to provide child benefit documentation, however I have spoke to child benefit office and they have said they no longer send out letters for child benefit. How am I meant to prove they are financially dependent on me?
I do not claim tax credits or universal credit.
Thanks Sian
Original post by Sian.hickson
I am a returning student, so already have an account with you. I have since got married and had children and was able to change my name over the phone with a colleague. I understand I have to send my children’s birth certificates in, however the issue is with proving they are financial dependent on me - they are 4 and 2 so thought that would speak for itself. It says online to provide child benefit documentation, however I have spoke to child benefit office and they have said they no longer send out letters for child benefit. How am I meant to prove they are financially dependent on me?
I do not claim tax credits or universal credit.
Thanks Sian

Hi Sian,

There is no other evidence we can accept, you should be able to get a reprint of your original letter from them.

Thanks,
Claire
Thanks Claire I have been able to sort this out.

however the information I’ve had from student finance on their Facebook Page has been incredible confusing and contracting previous information .

They have told me to apply as a new student, despite having a current student loan.

very confusing advice; but thanks for your help. Child benefit have agreed to send me out a letter

(Original post by Claire SFE)Hi Sian,

There is no other evidence we can accept, you should be able to get a reprint of your original letter from them.

Thanks,
Claire
Thanks Claire I have been able to sort this out.

however the information I’ve had from student finance on their Facebook Page has been incredible confusing and contracting previous information .

They have told me to apply as a new student, despite having a current student loan.

very confusing advice; but thanks for your help. Child benefit have agreed to send me out a letter

(Original post by Claire SFE)Hi Sian,

Thanks,
Claire

Hi Sian,

Can you confirm if you're starting a new course or have you had a gap in study?

Thanks,
Claire
I am starting a new course teacher training pgce. My first degree was 2005-2008 but I’m stilll paying back my original loan.

Original post by Claire SFE)Hi Sian,

Thanks,
Claire
I am starting a new course teacher training pgce. My first degree was 2005-2008 but I’m stilll paying back my original loan.

Original post by Claire SFE)Hi Sian,

Thanks,
Claire

Hi Sian,

Applying as a new student would be correct. You only apply as a returning student when you're continuing on the same course and have had less than a 2 year gap in study.

Thanks, Chanel

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending