The Student Room Group

How much does a year abroad ACTUALLY cost?

I am thinking of doing either doing a year abroad in Spain or finishing uni then going out to Spain for a year and attending a language school out there.

I am looking at an absolute minimum of £10,000 for attending a language school, and I was wondering if doing a year abroad is actually any cheaper?

I know that the tuition is 1/3 of your the £9250, however I feel the information about costs can be misleading, how much is accommodation, for example?

I was cheekily hoping that someone who has maybe gone on a year abroad themselves could just tell me how much they really spent, how much came from their own money and what was already paid for.
Reply 1
it really depends on where you go i think it would cost a couple of thousand by the time u have found somewhere to live,
One of my friends went to South Korea for a language year abroad, so she didn’t have to pay tuition but she said she spent about £3,000 on top of her student loan (I think she said around £5,000 for her). That included living expenses but not flights. She also got to travel a bit within Korea and then to Japan during the school year.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by umbrellala
One of my friends went to South Korea for a language year abroad, so she didn’t have to pay tuition but she said she spent about £3,000 on top of her student loan (this is a London student loan though, so that’s around £5,000 as it is). That included living expenses but not flights. She also got to travel a bit within Korea and then to Japan during the school year.

Keep in mind though that Seoul is a huge city with relatively expensive rent, and living costs are not that cheap. Definitely cheaper than London but not by miles
Reply 4
Original post by clf09
I am thinking of doing either doing a year abroad in Spain or finishing uni then going out to Spain for a year and attending a language school out there.

I am looking at an absolute minimum of £10,000 for attending a language school, and I was wondering if doing a year abroad is actually any cheaper?

I know that the tuition is 1/3 of your the £9250, however I feel the information about costs can be misleading, how much is accommodation, for example?

I was cheekily hoping that someone who has maybe gone on a year abroad themselves could just tell me how much they really spent, how much came from their own money and what was already paid for.

You do get up to £10k maintenance loan if you are studying a year abroad (means tested).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by umbrellala
One of my friends went to South Korea for a language year abroad, so she didn’t have to pay tuition but she said she spent about £3,000 on top of her student loan (this is a London student loan though, so that’s around £5,000 as it is). That included living expenses but not flights. She also got to travel a bit within Korea and then to Japan during the school year.

Sounds fun but she could have saved a lot of money by staying at home and visiting Slough.
Original post by DuckDodgers
Sounds fun but she could have saved a lot of money by staying at home and visiting Slough.

Don’t think slough is quite as culturally rich, might’ve been a good option though? If only they had more language learning opportunities there :/
Reply 7
Original post by DuckDodgers

New Malden, not Slough, is the place to be for Koreans :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending