How much does a year abroad ACTUALLY cost? Watch

clf09
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I am thinking of doing either doing a year abroad in Spain or finishing uni then going out to Spain for a year and attending a language school out there.

I am looking at an absolute minimum of £10,000 for attending a language school, and I was wondering if doing a year abroad is actually any cheaper?

I know that the tuition is 1/3 of your the £9250, however I feel the information about costs can be misleading, how much is accommodation, for example?

I was cheekily hoping that someone who has maybe gone on a year abroad themselves could just tell me how much they really spent, how much came from their own money and what was already paid for.
KimNoel
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
it really depends on where you go i think it would cost a couple of thousand by the time u have found somewhere to live,
umbrellala
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
One of my friends went to South Korea for a language year abroad, so she didn’t have to pay tuition but she said she spent about £3,000 on top of her student loan (I think she said around £5,000 for her). That included living expenses but not flights. She also got to travel a bit within Korea and then to Japan during the school year.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Last edited by umbrellala; 2 weeks ago
umbrellala
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by umbrellala)
One of my friends went to South Korea for a language year abroad, so she didn’t have to pay tuition but she said she spent about £3,000 on top of her student loan (this is a London student loan though, so that’s around £5,000 as it is). That included living expenses but not flights. She also got to travel a bit within Korea and then to Japan during the school year.
Keep in mind though that Seoul is a huge city with relatively expensive rent, and living costs are not that cheap. Definitely cheaper than London but not by miles
Doones
  • Section Leader
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by clf09)
I am thinking of doing either doing a year abroad in Spain or finishing uni then going out to Spain for a year and attending a language school out there.

I am looking at an absolute minimum of £10,000 for attending a language school, and I was wondering if doing a year abroad is actually any cheaper?

I know that the tuition is 1/3 of your the £9250, however I feel the information about costs can be misleading, how much is accommodation, for example?

I was cheekily hoping that someone who has maybe gone on a year abroad themselves could just tell me how much they really spent, how much came from their own money and what was already paid for.
You do get up to £10k maintenance loan if you are studying a year abroad (means tested).

Posted from TSR Mobile
DuckDodgers
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by umbrellala)
One of my friends went to South Korea for a language year abroad, so she didn’t have to pay tuition but she said she spent about £3,000 on top of her student loan (this is a London student loan though, so that’s around £5,000 as it is). That included living expenses but not flights. She also got to travel a bit within Korea and then to Japan during the school year.
Sounds fun but she could have saved a lot of money by staying at home and visiting Slough.
umbrellala
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by DuckDodgers)
Sounds fun but she could have saved a lot of money by staying at home and visiting Slough.
Don’t think slough is quite as culturally rich, might’ve been a good option though? If only they had more language learning opportunities there :/
Doones
  • Section Leader
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by DuckDodgers)
New Malden, not Slough, is the place to be for Koreans
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • Harper Adams University
    Animals and Veterinary Sciences Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (112)
17.58%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (68)
10.68%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (110)
17.27%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (93)
14.6%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (63)
9.89%
How can I be the best version of myself? (191)
29.98%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed