Does a Psychology Degree involve lots of essay writing? Watch

Benjidude
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
So, two people on TSR have told me contrasting things about a Psychology Degree...

One of them says this...
'It isn't heavily essay based but there are a lot of statistical analysis so maths will really come in handy. (most of the people don't like the statistical aspect of this course and this is where they lose their grades) so if you are good with maths, this course would really fit for you.'

And another says this...
'Psychology will be hugely essay based, even exams will be essays, it will also be minimal contact time and lots of independent reading.'

I personally enjoy maths, but I'm not very keen on essay writing. Psychology will be hugely essay based, even exams will be essays, it will also be minimal contact time and lots of independent reading.

Can someone clear this up for me...
Does a Psychology Degree involve lots of essay writing?
PjdeP
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I have no idea about psychology specifically by normally.
BA : More essays
BSc: More maths

I did a quick google search and it seems like I was right
"Difference between BA and BSc psychology"
https://www.verywellmind.com/ba-bs-p...erence-2795139
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I do a forensic psychology degree which is basically the same as a straight psychology degree, except one or two modules are different.

It'll depend on your university and how they assess you.

The exams are essays, yes. For me, we have a 2 hour exam and we have to answer 2 essay questions. However we also have smaller multiple choice tests in the year to assess our statistics knowledge.

Coursework is a mix of essays and reports where you do a study and write it up. Depending on the module it can be qualitative or quantitative. Sometimes you may do one of each.

Overall I think there is more essay writing than there is doing maths.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
marinade
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I would think they are both true.

For example a redbrick uni in these parts third years get 3 hours of contact time per week and independent reading. I doubt very much they advertise this to the students lol.

SPSS is used extensively in some psychology degrees.
PsychStudent91
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I am doing a psychology degree atm, and yes there are lots of essays, exams are essay based, and we have to write reports too.
harrysbar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
There are lots of essays and normally, a big dissertation or research project in Year 3. Most Psychology degrees are BSc and even for them, stats is not a huge part of the course compared to written work, so being good at writing essays is more important than being good at maths.

If there was a lot of high level maths in Psychology degrees, Unis would insist on maths A level (which they don't).
Afterlife?
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
It does involve essay writing but not as much as other social science subjects as the BPS like to emphasize the subject as a science. There's generally less essay writing and more science/labs/stats at higher ranked unis and more essays at lower ranked unis as those especially Russell group ones like to flex their research.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of West London
    Undergraduate Open Day - West London Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (239)
14.81%
The paper was reasonable (901)
55.82%
Not feeling great about that exam... (354)
21.93%
It was TERRIBLE (120)
7.43%

Watched Threads