Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
holy flippppppp :rofl:

she is scary
Anonymous #1
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by It's****ingWOODY)
From the evidence I've seen, the whole thing is BS. Unless you're asking is Momo the being real, in which case, come on now...
Nono haha ofcourse not! I do mean the hacking into children’s videos etc one
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
WJNZY
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
A news site I read was saying that children's videos were being "HACKED". Which, as a Cyber Security student, I think is a lot of bs because YouTube would never let that happen. I mean I know the site has its flaws but that isn't one of them...
People were downloading the content and putting videos of Momo in the middle so that parents weren't worried, they just thought they were watching Peppa Pig or Fortnite. The edited video would be reuploaded in the same genre so that kids found them.
Momo is a Japenese sculpture of some sort that looked creepy so has been repurposed into scaring the **** out of kids and sending "death threats" to them.
TL;DR, it isn't real
Redslayed
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
The only reason I know about this is because my teacher asked me today if heard about this momo challenge, so stupid 😭
Rainfall
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Not scary at all. That face isn’t scary. But what that little shizz is doing to kids ain’t funny
Anonymous #1
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by WJNZY)
A news site I read was saying that children's videos were being "HACKED". Which, as a Cyber Security student, I think is a lot of bs because YouTube would never let that happen. I mean I know the site has its flaws but that isn't one of them...
People were downloading the content and putting videos of Momo in the middle so that parents weren't worried, they just thought they were watching Peppa Pig or Fortnite. The edited video would be reuploaded in the same genre so that kids found them.
Momo is a Japenese sculpture of some sort that looked creepy so has been repurposed into scaring the **** out of kids and sending "death threats" to them.
TL;DR, it isn't real
Oh dear, so the whole promoting suicide and self harm is bs aswell? I was thinking the same, YouTube blocks so many people for posting normal videos how could they allow a video like that to be uploaded? I
CoolCavy
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
The people running this are sick (if it is indeed real - apparently it is a hoax)
The parents allowing their children to have phones at 6 are ridiculous
The people panicking about this are not helping. The NSPCC and Samaritans have made statements to stop talking about it because it's spreading it around and making children aware of self harm who previously weren't . Apparently most of the calls to these charities have not been from children affected but parents panicking. YouTube have denied the videos on their platform exist

https://amp.theguardian.com/technolo...-say-charities
Last edited by CoolCavy; 3 weeks ago
WJNZY
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Oh dear, so the whole promoting suicide and self harm is bs aswell? I was thinking the same, YouTube blocks so many people for posting normal videos how could they allow a video like that to be uploaded? I
It's because they hide it in the middle of videos so the "blocking" algorithm doesn't pick it up meaning that they can get away with it.
The person behind it directs the children to Snapchat and WhatsApp to go and complete "self-harm challenges" and if they tell their parents then they die or something along those lines (nowhere really has a lot of information on the messages due to WhatsApp's encryption and Snapchat's 24-hour timer).
Anonymous #1
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by WJNZY)
It's because they hide it in the middle of videos so the "blocking" algorithm doesn't pick it up meaning that they can get away with it.
The person behind it directs the children to Snapchat and WhatsApp to go and complete "self-harm challenges" and if they tell their parents then they die or something along those lines (nowhere really has a lot of information on the messages due to WhatsApp's encryption and Snapchat's 24-hour timer).
Satanists must’ve made it 🤦🏽*♀️
WJNZY
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Satanists must’ve made it 🤦🏽*♀️
Something stupid like that yeah
TheYearNiner
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yeah momofifahd is real check him up
Doones
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Is this thing just bs or is it a real thing. That girl with a smile on her face and looks really creepy. Shes apparently showing up on children’s videos.
(Original post by the bear)
there is another thread on this.
Merged :yy:
Wōden
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
These types of urban myths have been circulating around for decades, (I'm old enough to remember when they were still being spread via chain letters), guillable idiots were falling for it back then, and they're still falling for it today. Though frankly, it really is irritating that in this day and age when the abilty to verify any information on Earth is literally at your fingertips, people still jump on these scare stories without a moment's thought.
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Wōden)
These types of urban myths have been circulating around for decades, (I'm old enough to remember when they were still being spread via chain letters), guillable idiots were falling for it back then, and they're still falling for it today. Though frankly, it really is irritating that in this day and age when the abilty to verify any information on Earth is literally at your fingertips, people still jump on these scare stories without a moment's thought.
It is incredible depressing too. You see on the fringes of political twitter that people endlessly post graphics with "quotes" from politicians that they never said - that sort of thing. Sometimes even supposedly responsible people like MPs and well known commentators share them - it's usually the same ones doing it several times, and when people point out they are wrong they just ignore it. No comeback whatsoever.

The ability to verify information may be greater than ever, but the ability to dupe is also far greater too. Many people make snap judgements, or resort to believing sometimes quite extraordinary things because it "sounds right". Factchecking services and so on do great work, but it's like aiming a garden hose at a wildfire. Sadly, I don't see how this can possible be resolved: I don't think we can educate people out of it, largely because I think there's a huge section of society that clearly paid no attention to the education they did receive.
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Ray_Shadows)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-47359623

basically if you don't know what this is , there's this "challenege" going around of this apparent doll called momo targeting children on whatsapp and snapchat and showing them violent , gruesome , self harming photos/videos daring children to do those horrifice insane things.

So this is an apparent thing going on , i'm curious to here if anyone else has heard of this gruesome trend going around , who in their right mind who send this sick **** to children, why is this a thing
Evolution innit
Xanimede
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It would not surprise me if this is part of a coordinated long-term plan to regulate and censor the internet.

Scared and angry parents will say yes to any legislation sold under "protecting our children".

I know parents are being sent leaflets about this, very well-made leaflets, being told there's a scary man on the internet telling children to commit suicide, or else he will kill them. Parents are asked to closely monitor their children (but they won't because they're too busy, and the leaflets say that even Youtube Kids is compromised).

This is not the first time that this happens, and it won't be the last time. The demand for a "solution" will accumulate over time, a high-profile gruesome case might get popularised over the media, the straw to break the camel's back.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (128)
17.9%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (73)
10.21%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (123)
17.2%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (103)
14.41%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (70)
9.79%
How can I be the best version of myself? (218)
30.49%

Watched Threads