annlaju
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
i kind of don't like the things that our school teaches about english lit so i have a few (or maybe a lot) questions about the subject. i do macbeth, a christmas carol, and blood brothers and the power and conflict cluster on the aqa paper.

- how many paragraphs do we do for each question? (paper 1, section a and b; paper 2, section a, b and c)

- our school teaches to write 1 paragraph on the extract and use 4 quotations of our own but i've heard other schools tell their students to write 2-3 on the extract and 2-3 using your own quotations. is that better?

- i find blood brothers so hard to write about because there's no similes and metaphors - that sort of stuff, what do i do?

- where can i find exemplary grade 8-9 answers? i'm aiming for top grades.

- how many quotations should i learn for each theme/character/text?

- does anyone have a list of all the possible questions that may come up on the paper?
annlaju
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
boosting this myself skjdsk
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
there is no set number of paras and quotes that will guarantee you top marks. that's not how english lit works. quality > quantity always
for paper one you can expect to write several sides for each section.
in paper 2 section a, b and c are similar marks so write about the same amount per section if possible.
the questions don't specify a certain amount to be on the extract and a certain amount on the rest of the play- you just gotta talk about both areas. girl in year 13 said she did her macbeth answer mostly on the extract apart from the last one or two paragraphs and she ended up with a 9. if the extract is a good one, then write mostly about that if you wanna, but if it's not very good, then do a para or whatnot on the extract and then talk about the rest of the play. the quality of your answers and analysis again, is important.
i learnt at least 15 quotes per text but that may be too much/too little. i learnt about 5 per theme/character but also made sure i was familiar with the text as a whole so i was confident talking about it.
any question could come up really, just look at past papers and create your own questions based off that. ask your teacher for questions to do too.
i believe you can find exemplary answers on the aqa website but iirc only the teachers have access to them so you'll need to talk to them about that too.
(didn't do blood brothers sorry)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (153)
14.5%
I'm not sure (46)
4.36%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (312)
29.57%
I have already dropped out (29)
2.75%
I'm not a current university student (515)
48.82%

Watched Threads