Jman10101
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Oxford shortlist on GCSEs and BMAT, then have an interview. Is an offer basically decided on the interview?

Cambridge consider "holistically", does this mean a weaker interview could be made up for in other areas.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Oxford don't explicitly state that all applicants are considered on a clean slate from interview (unlike some other medical schools) so it's certainly possible they'll consider BMAT/GCSEs post interview. Cambridge consider "holistically" before and after interview from what I've heard, as they interview a higher proportion of applicants. I think a weak interview would be hard to make up for at either though, but I could be wrong.

My impression is that part of the "concept" of the interviews at both is to simulate the tutorial environment and see how you respond to learning in such an environment - doing poorly in that would probably signal the tutorial format at those universities would not be a good fit for you (and thus you might not do well on the course if they did accept you).

nexttime may have some insight...?
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
At Oxford it depends on college. There certainly are colleges where decisions are only on interview performance, but there are certainly colleges where that's not the case. It's probably safe to assume interview will always be the most important factor though.

Cambridge both interview a higher proportion - off the top of my head it's about 3.5 candidates per place versus Oxford's 2.6 - and do fewer interviews per candidate ( Oxford normally do 4, sometimes up to 6) so it makes sense that it carries less weight there. Again though I'd be surprised if it wasn't the most important factor though.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate