Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
On Saturday I went to a university applicant day where I was sick several times during the day due to my anxiety - I felt awful! Once I'm sick, I get anxious that I'm going to be sick again, so I am! I have another applicant day this Saturday and I'm having anxious thoughts just thinking about it! Does anyone have any advice on helping me - I hate feeling like this!
ohdahnnyboi
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
On Saturday I went to a university applicant day where I was sick several times during the day due to my anxiety - I felt awful! Once I'm sick, I get anxious that I'm going to be sick again, so I am! I have another applicant day this Saturday and I'm having anxious thoughts just thinking about it! Does anyone have any advice on helping me - I hate feeling like this!
immediately u recognise urself as having anxious thoughts, tell urself out loud "I am not going to entertain that", or "no" or "STOP" or the like. saying it aloud makes u more aware and makes u feel more in control. also, deep breathing can help u calm down. have u talked to anyone else about this e.g. a counsellor, friend, parent, etc. that could be really beneficial
you are strong, and u have the power to overcome this. as long as u believe that you'll win :hugs:
also eating high energy foods (healthy ones mind :laugh:) can help ith the sicknes in some way. and lots of water too. just having a full stomach or whatever really helps i find
u can always talk if u want - hope it gets better
Anonymous #2
Report 11 months ago
You are the same as me. For me it got better with age and pushing myself to get through new situations means that I cope much better now to the point where I may feel incredibly sick travelling to somewhere new but once I’m there I’m fine and I no longer actually get sick but trust me I used to be the same as you. I used to not eat and still get sick. This is a short term feeling though you must remember. You will get used to university and you will get past this, making some friends will help but there’s no pressure to do that quickly. Remind yourself that it is okay to feel worried about new things and changes and that everyone else is in the exact same situation as you. Don’t put pressure on yourself, give yourself something to reward yourself with at the end of the day. Remember why you are going there, what your goal is and what you want to achieve. Try to be positive, good luck
Anonymous #1
(Original post by ohdahnnyboi)
immediately u recognise urself as having anxious thoughts, tell urself out loud "I am not going to entertain that", or "no" or "STOP" or the like. saying it aloud makes u more aware and makes u feel more in control. also, deep breathing can help u calm down. have u talked to anyone else about this e.g. a counsellor, friend, parent, etc. that could be really beneficial
you are strong, and u have the power to overcome this. as long as u believe that you'll win :hugs:
also eating high energy foods (healthy ones mind :laugh:) can help ith the sicknes in some way. and lots of water too. just having a full stomach or whatever really helps i find
u can always talk if u want - hope it gets better
Thank you so much I needed to hear that!
I've spoken to my parents about it, and my dad was with me on Saturday so saw me in a state, but I don't think they really understand how badly it affects me! I've thought about counselling and haven't really taken it further, perhaps I should. I went to the doctors a couple of years ago and they gave me some medication but I don't think it does much.
Before Saturday I'd already been to 3 open days but for some reason this one made me extremely anxious. Part of me wants to just not go to another, but deep down I know that giving in isn't going to help.
After being sick I ate nothing because I really didn't feel like it but I don't think that done me any good.
Thank you again!
ohdahnnyboi
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Thank you so much I needed to hear that!
I've spoken to my parents about it, and my dad was with me on Saturday so saw me in a state, but I don't think they really understand how badly it affects me! I've thought about counselling and haven't really taken it further, perhaps I should. I went to the doctors a couple of years ago and they gave me some medication but I don't think it does much.
Before Saturday I'd already been to 3 open days but for some reason this one made me extremely anxious. Part of me wants to just not go to another, but deep down I know that giving in isn't going to help.
After being sick I ate nothing because I really didn't feel like it but I don't think that done me any good.
Thank you again!
That's alright, I'm glad it helped! :hugs:
Anonymous #1
You are the same as me. For me it got better with age and pushing myself to get through new situations means that I cope much better now to the point where I may feel incredibly sick travelling to somewhere new but once I’m there I’m fine and I no longer actually get sick but trust me I used to be the same as you. I used to not eat and still get sick. This is a short term feeling though you must remember. You will get used to university and you will get past this, making some friends will help but there’s no pressure to do that quickly. Remind yourself that it is okay to feel worried about new things and changes and that everyone else is in the exact same situation as you. Don’t put pressure on yourself, give yourself something to reward yourself with at the end of the day. Remember why you are going there, what your goal is and what you want to achieve. Try to be positive, good luck
Not gonna lie that made me cry - I'm so relieved that I'm not the only one.
Normally I'm the same in that when I arrive I'm completely fine but for some reason this time I wasn't. After I was sick I didn't eat and I think it made me feel worse. You're right, I used to feel the same when I first started college and work but now I'm used to it and I'm fine. I hate change but I know change is inevitable.
Thank you so much, how are you?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (228)
67.66%
No (109)
32.34%

Watched Threads