The Student Room Group

PhD Nightmare

Hey guys,
I started my PhD as an international student in 2013. Moved to another country in 2016 and continues long distance 2 years later because I was mentally down.

From long distance I was quoted a fee which I kept paying . However my supervisors through out my thesis had been changed 4 times , all of them come with that’s “they think they know and I have to change my work all the time .
Fast forward to 2018, I sent my “final work” in in Feb 2018 and heard back from the supervisors in November (2 days before I did my mock exams). So they ignored my hundred of emails with my work and all that.
Corrections were done within 72 hours (didn’t sleep- determined to finish).

Yeah still following them up for help.
Now one gets back to me with rubbish changes , changes he should have spotted in 2016 if I may add, and those changes were said to be fine at my mock exams.

Now I get back to him with corrections and I get a reply saying he had not got WiFi and can’t help me . It’s 6 years guys, 6 years - I am mentally gone! I am sad all the time , I feel like I can’t move forward, there’s always something about my PhD that drags me back.
I have sent uncountable emails to my university, yet no one seem keen to help.

I feel like getting a lawyer, or joining some group to help send thousands of messages to them , maybe that will make them help me ?

What’s your experience cos mine is a nightmare and I woke up today wondering if yo drop it or keep fighting .

There’s more but would be very long to type .
Thanks for reading
Hi,

I completed my PhD within 5 years (4 with the research, 1 to write-up). My university was quite strict that we had to complete within 3 years, as they didn't want PhD "Dinosaurs" clogging up their research offices.

Although we did have industrial partners, I did all of my research based at the University and I felt short-changed when other people had terms spent working at their sponsoring companies... some even got to work in some other countries (one of my work-colleagues spent 9 months based in the USA, while another spent 4 months in Burma, another 3 months in Germany etc.). However, after reading your story, I feel quite lucky as I can't fault my supervisors, and I'll be the first to admit I would never have successfully submitted without them (I had the same guys from start to finish).

You say your supervisors changed several times... was that your decision or not? I was always told that to split from your supervisors is basically the academic equivalent of a divorce, and should be avoided if ever possible. In fact, one lecturer I know moved from Swansea University to The University of Warwick, and he took his three PhD students with him (they got a "free" University upgrade, so they weren't complaining lol).

It sounds like your supervisors are not interested in your work... or they feel like they've been "lumbered" with you. To wait almost a year for feedback is unacceptable IMHO (the very least they could have acknlwedged your mails, but to completely ignore you for that time is just downright rude). I have experienced a "supervisor" who was like that (no where near to the extent you've described)... though luckily it was for a final year project and not a PhD, so I sought support elsewhere. Who did you raise your concerns to? Someone within your team or department, or at a more senior Admin level? As they've invested all this time and effort in to you, it's in the University's interests to ensure you can complete your write up.

Have you managed to get any papers published (ideally journals, but conferences are still OK)? If so, then that at least shows that the work you've done has some merit, even if the supervisors don't see that.

Just remember, the nice thing about a PhD is that if a particular part of it is getting to you, you can leave that part and work on another area...although this is probably a bit late for you're already in the write-up stage. I'm not sure how much a lawyer will be to you in this situation, and could be costly (unless you qualify for legal aid somehow). A lawyer consultation should be free, so they can obviously advise you what you can and can't do. You should also go to a Citizens Advice Bureau (if they have one in the country you're in)

Not sure if any of the above helps you but hope it works out for you anyway.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Old Skool Freak
Hi,

I completed my PhD within 5 years (4 with the research, 1 to write-up). My university was quite strict that we had to complete within 3 years, as they didn't want PhD Dinosaurs clogging up their research offices.

Although we did have industrial partners, I did all of my research based at the University and I felt short-changed when other people had terms spent working at their sponsoring companies... some even got to work in some other countries (one of my work-colleagues spent 9 months based in the USA, while another spent 4 months in Burma, another 3 months in Germany etc.). However, after reading your story, I feel quite lucky as I can't fault my supervisors, and I'll be the first to admit I would never have successfully submitted without them (I had the same guys from start to finish).

You say your supervisors changed several times... was that your decision or not? I was always told that to split from your supervisors is basically the academic equivalent of a divorce, and should be avoided if ever possible. In fact, one lecturer I know moved from Swansea university to the University of Warwick, and he took his three PhD students with him (they got a "free" University upgrade, so they weren't complaining lol).

It sounds like your supervisors are not interested in your work... or they feel like they've been "lumbered" with you. To wait almost a year for feedback is unacceptable IMHO (the very least they could have acknlwedged your mails, but to completely ignore you for that time is just downright rude). I have experienced a "supervisor" who was like that (not to that extent)... though luckily it was for a final year project and not a PhD, so I sought support elsewhere. Who did you raise your concerns to? Someone within your team or department, or at a more senior Admin level? As they've invested all this time and effort in to you, it's in the University's interests to ensure you can complete your write up.

Have you managed to get any papers published (ideally journals, but conferences are still OK)? If so, then that at least shows that the work you've done has some merit, even if the supervisors don't see that.

Just remember, the nice thing about a PhD is that if a particular part of it is getting to you, you can leave that part and work on another area...although this is probably a bit late for you're already in the write-up stage.

Not sure if any of the above helps you but hope it works out for you anyway.

Hello,
I appreciate your reply, congratulations first of all.

Well, I have not published a thing - why? Because I
Was hoping I would after submission. Yeah I know it’s late and I should but , I spoke to a few and seemed like the right thing at the time ,
I even got a supervisor in Australia to help me , 2 years ago another university in Australia was willing to take me over to complete this degree but I was tired of the changes ,
No the changes were not By my doing , so he uni changed them because they either quit or had too many to supervise ,
Yes I have written to the top bosses , yet same results ,
It’s so frustrating, last year Feb I was planning to submit in November at the least but then that’s when I had the mock exams (via Skype).
What worries me most is I have to fly back to the UK for my defence - imagine all the cost which I why I want to know my work is 100% satisfactory before I do so else it would be another money down the drain.

As we speak the last time I heard from the director is studies was November and the 4th supervisor right now is on about getting internet before he can help me (he’s based on Ghana apparently). Do we need the internet to edit a Microsoft document? Not in my knowledge. But that’s how I have been treated all this time .
Doing this is like a drug addiction, I can’t stop or give up because I have put in too much , yet I have to keep going no matter what .

I doubt they are interested in helping to be honest, one admin staff had helped me up to this point like am family - while the bosses who can do something are maybe busy with more newbies who still got the cash. 55FCA8FD-55D0-45DB-9DD3-C0521BD8B083.jpg.jpeg
This is after I spent the last 72 hours less sleep to do the work he wanted and emailed - then sent 4 other follow ups within the next 4 days if he saw my work, he said he didn’t so I resent . And then I called him on WhatsApp(no response ) before that text .
Reply 3
Are you studying in the UK? If so, get your student union involved and see if your institution is registered with the OIAHE.

Honestly, this sounds awful, you need to make a big fuss, even though you don't feel up to doing much. Do not let them treat you like this.
Reply 4
Original post by gjd800
Are you studying in the UK? If so, get your student union involved and see if your institution is registered with the OIAHE.

Honestly, this sounds awful, you need to make a big fuss, even though you don't feel up to doing much. Do not let them treat you like this.

My uni is based in the UK, yes. I did the first 3 years, the stress got to me so I took a year then another off and went to Australia, now settled here and doing long distance with my UK uni to finish. I don’t know about the union, where can I find it ?
Reply 5
Original post by Cyndy
My uni is based in the UK, yes. I did the first 3 years, the stress got to me so I took a year then another off and went to Australia, now settled here and doing long distance with my UK uni to finish. I don’t know about the union, where can I find it ?

Your 'base' university should have links to it on their homepage (or google your university name and 'student union'). They can really advise you on the options open to you, even if only by email. It is frankly shocking to read your story, you can't let them off with it.
Hi,

Thanks.

I edited my original post a little (towards the end) to include some other things, it might be worth you re-reading it

It's perfectly reasonable that you'd want to be sure your work is up-to-standard before you travel back (yes, I know how much an England -Australia return ticket is)… in hindsight, you may have been better off with going with the other Australian University if they knew about your work and had a proven track record... but I guess you weren't to know how this would play out...

As for the Wi fi thing, I know how s**t the Internet and even electricity can be in Africa in general... especially in rural areas, so that can be true to an extent... but they still have libraries and Internet cafes that he should be able to use. Even if he has to pay to use it, I don't think it's a big-ask to spend a couple of hours every 1-2 weeks to help out his students. Moreover, he must have other work he needs to be doing.
Reply 7
Hi,

Thanks.

I edited my original post a little (towards the end) to include some other things, it might be worth you re-reading it

It's perfectly reasonable that you'd want to be sure your work is up-to-standard before you travel back (yes, I know how much an England -Australia return ticket is)… in hindsight, you may have been better off with going with the other Australian University if they knew about your work and had a proven track record... but I guess you weren't to know how this would play out...

As for the Wi fi thing, I know how s**t the Internet and even electricity can be in Africa in general... especially in rural areas, so that can be true to an extent... but they still have libraries and Internet cafes that he should be able to use. Even if he has to pay to use it, I don't think it's a big-ask to spend a couple of hours every 1-2 weeks to help out his students. Moreover, he must have other work he needs to be doing.

Thanks for your message , I am african, I know how it can be . But I also know he has a laptop with a folder containing his students work. He doesn’t need the internet to edit work on Microsoft. He’s on WhatsApp as we speak, WhatsApp has options for send files now .
I get what you are saying , but it’s just I have been and still being treated like ****. But then again, I see international students being treated same because we can’t say too much I guess,
Original post by Cyndy
Thanks for your message , I am african, I know how it can be . But I also know he has a laptop with a folder containing his students work. He doesn’t need the internet to edit work on Microsoft. He’s on WhatsApp as we speak, WhatsApp has options for send files now .
I get what you are saying , but it’s just I have been and still being treated like ****. But then again, I see international students being treated same because we can’t say too much I guess,

But the University must have some kind of formal escalation process, as gjd800 said. Is there a student representative? Does your University have a Student Advice centre (OSLT).As a last resort get someone in the UK who knows your situation to go to the Citizens Advice Bureau on your behalf.

You've been working on this for the past 6-7 years of your life. Please don't settle for an M Phil or worse still nothing, because of other peoples laziness or incompetence.
Reply 9
But the University must have some kind of formal escalation process, as gjd800 said. Is there a student representative? Does your University have a Student Advice centre (OSLT).As a last resort get someone in the UK who knows your situation to go to the Citizens Advice Bureau on your behalf.

You've been working on this for the past 6-7 years of your life. Please don't settle for an M Phil or worse still nothing, because of other peoples laziness or incompetence.

Thanks so much.
I know it’s the fact that I have worked on this that long that’s frustrating .
Messages have been sent to the supervisors and I have sent through the bad communications till date,
Today I will ring up and see what has been done. But yet the supervisors haven’t reached out ,

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending