World's deepest waters becoming 'ultimate sink' for plastic waste Watch

Poll: Which single-use plastics are you going to cut down?
Coffee cups (139)
12.87%
Water bottles (302)
27.96%
Fruit and veg in plastic (126)
11.67%
Takeaway food (91)
8.43%
Plastic bags (277)
25.65%
Facewash with plastic beads (145)
13.43%
She-Ra
  • TSR Community Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
The Guardian are reporting on plastic being found in the guts of creatures living in the deepest darkest depths of the ocean.

"For the first time, scientists found microplastic ingestion by organisms in the Mariana trench and five other areas with a depth of more than 6,000 metres, prompting them to conclude “it is highly likely there are no marine ecosystems left that are not impacted by plastic pollution”
You can read more here.

You can also speak to the scientist from Newcastle University who is part of this study on The Student Room here.

It feels like no place on Earth can escape plastic or perhaps it's the fact that we have been so irresponsible with our plastic usage that we're now noticing the impact of the damage it's creating.

Is this making you seriously reconsider your plastic usage?
Last edited by She-Ra; 2 weeks ago
jenhasdreams
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by She-Ra)
The Guardian are reporting on plastic being found in the guts of creatures living in the deepest darkest depths of the ocean.

You can read more here.

You can also speak to the scientist who is part of this study on The Student Room here.

It feels like no place on Earth can escape plastic or perhaps it's the fact that we have been so irresponsible with our plastic usage that we're now noticing the impact of the damage it's creating.

Is this making you seriously reconsider your plastic usage?
I’ve read that fishing waste, particularly plastic nets, is one of the worst contributors to ocean plastic, in terms of total volume and also how dangerous it is to marine life (it’s designed to entrap animals.) this survey claims 46% of waste is from fishing nets https://news.nationalgeographic.com/...s-environment/ so of course cutting down on plastic usage overall is a very commendable thing to do, the best thing we can do for marine life is to stop eating fish and seafood.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Last edited by jenhasdreams; 2 weeks ago
She-Ra
  • TSR Community Team
Rep:
?
(Original post by jenhasdreams)
I’ve read that fishing waste, particularly plastic nets, is one of the worst contributors to ocean plastic, in terms of total volume and also how dangerous it is to marine life (it’s designed to entrap animals.) this survey claims 46% of waste is from fishing nets https://news.nationalgeographic.com/...s-environment/ so of course cutting down on plastic usage overall is a very commendable thing to do, the best thing we can do for marine life is to stop eating fish and seafood.
Nets are the devil

Did you see this newstory about the humpback whale getting caught in a net in Aus? I think it happened again this year, a baby whale was really distressed off the coast of Australia because it's mama was snagged in a net, the divers had to cut it free.

Why would anyone want to eat fish when fish now sadly consume so much plastic.
xDron3
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I'm becoming more concerned about plastic, but commercially you don't have any choice.

If you want a drink, it's in a plastic bottle, I go to McDonalds or get a Meal Deal, loads of plastic. I reckon we're 5 years away from a very hefty plastic tax and around 30 years away from needing a licence to use plastic or there being a near blanket ban.
Molseh
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
No poll option for - I won't cut down because I am one man and it will make literally no difference.

Unless all plastics are banned worldwide you are fighting a lost battle and would be better suited to making your own life cheaper/more convenient.
She-Ra
  • TSR Community Team
Rep:
?
I disagree. Don't buy a Macdonalds, or get the burger and fries and take your own drink?

The plastic tax is coming in next year but coffee cups aren't included which is bonkers.
(Original post by xDron3)
I'm becoming more concerned about plastic, but commercially you don't have any choice.

If you want a drink, it's in a plastic bottle, I go to McDonalds or get a Meal Deal, loads of plastic. I reckon we're 5 years away from a very hefty plastic tax and around 30 years away from needing a licence to use plastic or there being a near blanket ban.
But if everyone thinks like this nothing will change - that's an issue. The 5p plastic bags have created a demise in plastic usage but that is because lots of businesses have done this by law. I think people need to step up and look at lifestyle change to support the planet personally.

(Original post by Molseh)
No poll option for - I won't cut down because I am one man and it will make literally no difference.

Unless all plastics are banned worldwide you are fighting a lost battle and would be better suited to making your own life cheaper/more convenient.
Molseh
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
But if everyone thinks like this nothing will change - that's an issue. The 5p plastic bags have created a demise in plastic usage but that is because lots of businesses have done this by law. I think people need to step up and look at lifestyle change to support the planet personally.
The entire western world could stop using plastics and it would make no difference, because no matter how many soy boys walk around with bags for life, eating out of 100% recycled cardboard containers, there will still be 100x that in Africa/Asia that do not give a hoot about recycling or banning single use plastics.
JoshDarnIt
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Poor fishies
xDron3
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I disagree. Don't buy a Macdonalds, or get the burger and fries and take your own drink?
Not possible, when you're out and about on business, you need something on the go. Grabbing a snack from anywhere there is always excess waste including plastic. Worrying about plastic in the sea isn't on your mind when you're busy and this is the case with many people. Put the pressure on the providers, not the consumers.
She-Ra
  • TSR Community Team
Rep:
?
Not possible, when you're out and about on business, you need something on the go. Grabbing a snack from anywhere there is always excess waste including plastic. Worrying about plastic in the sea isn't on your mind when you're busy and this is the case with many people. Put the pressure on the providers, not the consumers.
I'm out and about travelling the UK most weeks. Keepy cups for coffee and water are always in my bag. I appreciate food is a lot harder so I try to go for soup in cardboard packaging from the vendor or choose food that is in more responsible packaging. I've become a lot more conscious in the last year.

I agree, the government need to make the providers change. If everyone changed then this would drive the cost down for biodegradable/ recyclable packaging. Imposing a plastic tax isn't enough at this stage.
She-Ra
  • TSR Community Team
Rep:
?
But just because they haven't imposed restrictions/bans (yet) it doesn't mean we can't in Europe, Australia and America. We all have a responsibility to drive change.

(Original post by Molseh)
The entire western world could stop using plastics and it would make no difference, because no matter how many soy boys walk around with bags for life, eating out of 100% recycled cardboard containers, there will still be 100x that in Africa/Asia that do not give a hoot about recycling or banning single use plastics.
xDron3
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I'm out and about travelling the UK most weeks. Keepy cups for coffee and water are always in my bag. I appreciate food is a lot harder so I try to go for soup in cardboard packaging from the vendor or choose food that is in more responsible packaging. I've become a lot more conscious in the last year.

I agree, the government need to make the providers change. If everyone changed then this would drive the cost down for biodegradable/ recyclable packaging. Imposing a plastic tax isn't enough at this stage.
Well you're more conscious than a solid 95% of people out there and that's respectable. Unfortunately it's going to be difficult to change everyone's mindset in a similar way to yours.
Andrew97
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
On the bottled water one, that’s tricky. A bottle is the best way of carrying water around
Steve82
  • TSR Group Staff
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
The problem is everything comes in plastic packaging. The comsumer, us, can't really escape that. Instead of charging us for plastic bags, charge us for biodegradable bags. It's as simple as that.

As per usual the finger is being pointed at the people. Stop producing plastic products and replace them with environmentally friendly options. Simple. There are plenty of options out there but instead the only option we have is to continue to use plastic bags but now we pay for them?!?!?

This world is bent all out of shape if you ask me.
Molseh
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
But just because they haven't imposed restrictions/bans (yet) Won't it doesn't mean we can't in Europe, Australia and America. We all have a responsibility to drive change.
The only responsibility I have is to myself and living a better life, spending more to acheive some manufactured save the world hype doesn't do that for me.
If the day comes when it is written in International Law and upheld to a similar level as the Chemical Weapons Convention then I am all for it. But good luck getting Mr Joe India/China/Africa on $1 a day to care whether he is eating from a plastic container that will strangle a turtle when he is struggling to survive himself.
Last edited by Molseh; 2 weeks ago
Libtardian
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Biased poll, no option for no recycling.
She-Ra
  • TSR Community Team
Rep:
?
Very often recycling is a myth, largely depending on where you live in the country.

You might buy something that has a recycled mark on it. Doesn't mean your local council will recycle it.

In Yorkshire/ Oxfordshire 65% of household waste is recycled https://www.nimblefins.co.uk/english...op-10-revealed if you live in London it's more like 14-15% which is a huge difference.

Page 12 and beyond https://assets.publishing.service.go...e_Dec_2018.pdf

(Original post by Libtardian)
Biased poll, no option for no recycling.
Dandaman1
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I think encouraging manufacturers to switch to better materials (biodegradable plastics or other biodegradable materials, more easily recycled plastics, etc.) is a preferable solution to consumers having to inconvenience themselves (or forcing them to).
Captain Haddock
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Very often recycling is a myth, largely depending on where you live in the country.

You might buy something that has a recycled mark on it. Doesn't mean your local council will recycle it.

In Yorkshire/ Oxfordshire 65% of household waste is recycled https://www.nimblefins.co.uk/english...op-10-revealed if you live in London it's more like 14-15% which is a huge difference.

Page 12 and beyond https://assets.publishing.service.go...e_Dec_2018.pdf
14% is the lowest figure in London; the average is more like 32%. My own borough is comfortably above the national average.
Plagioclase
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago

Of course you have a choice. Don't go to McDonalds, don't get a meal deal, use your own bottle - all of these would save you a lot of money, too. It's not that you don't have a choice, it's that you don't particularly want to make a choice.
Last edited by Plagioclase; 2 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (89)
16.57%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (55)
10.24%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (96)
17.88%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (81)
15.08%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (54)
10.06%
How can I be the best version of myself? (162)
30.17%

Watched Threads