Should all supermarkets replace plastic bottles with glass ones?

Watch
InquisitiveMae
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Since December I've been using a glass bottle instead of plastic water bottles.
I've personally noticed a difference, well besides the fact that I don't waste money on buying plastic water bottles when I'm out, I also feel like the water tastes 'cleaner'
Just out of curiosity, with all of the news on recycling and polluted water etc, what do you guys think?
Should we all just change our habits to using glass bottles instead of plastic ones...what are the benefits/ negatives of it?
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
No. Glass breaks easily, plastic doesnt
InquisitiveMae
Rep:
?
(Original post by Andrew97)
No. Glass breaks easily, plastic doesnt
That's what I thought before but honestly the glass bottle has exceeded my expectations...haha.
No exaggeration but I have accidentally sat on the bottle and it has fallen over multiple times but is still intact
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Germany's solution with "reverse vending machines" that give you a small amount of money for returning your plastic bottles would probably be a better route.

Fairly certain it was something being trialed in a few UK stores a few months back.
Last edited by (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ; 2 years ago
InquisitiveMae
Rep:
?
(Original post by (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ)
Germany's solution with "reverse vending machines" that give you a small amount of money for returning your plastic bottles would probably be a better route.

Fairly certain it was something being trialed in a few UK stores a few months back.
That's an interesting alternative - but it still means you're having to buy plastic bottles and then recycle them to get s few pence back, isn't it just better for them to just not sell plastic bottles in the first place, saving you the need of having to recycle them...
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by InquisitiveMae)
That's an interesting alternative - but it still means you're having to buy plastic bottles and then recycle them to get s few pence back, isn't it just better for them to just not sell plastic bottles in the first place, saving you the need of having to recycle them...
It's unlikely that plastic bottles will be going anywhere anytime soon, but at least this would actively encourage people to recycle them to be reused.
InquisitiveMae
Rep:
?
It's unlikely that plastic bottles will be going anywhere anytime soon, but at least this would actively encourage people to recycle them to be reused.
I guess so. We have to start somewhere
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by InquisitiveMae)
Agree, I doubt it's that simple, some things work in glass, some in card, some in plastic.

I'd like to see more glass in general, but I'm thinking of things like 2l bottles and larger, esp those big 10-20l buggers that go in water coolers, I wouldn't really fancy them being in glass.
username4454836
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It isn't that simple, glass weighs significantly more so requires far more fuel to transport among other things.
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
No. Glass is a lot heavier than plastic so it uses more fuel to transport it in lorries and stuff. Plastic is an amazing useful, universal material. If it wasn't such a good material then we wouldn't be in the pollution problem we are currently in.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (220)
43.65%
I'm worried that I'm not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (57)
11.31%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (39)
7.74%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as 'lesser' because I didn't take exams (106)
21.03%
I don't think that receiving these grades will impact my future (55)
10.91%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (27)
5.36%

Watched Threads