The Student Room Group

Got really excited for no reason

I know I'm appealing to a really niche market here, but I wanted to rant and I didn't know where else to put it. I'm transgender (female to male) and I had a private appointment with a psychologist yesterday who referred me on to get testosterone. I was really happy about it and really looking forward to FINALLY getting this started, but the soonest that the endocrinologist can see me is in June, 16 weeks away. The doctor I saw first said it would be 6 weeks. I know I've still got an appointment and I should be grateful, and I am, but I was really banking on starting hormones ASAP so I wouldn't have any problems when I started university. I'm at college rn, and I had to come out to all of my teachers just so they'd stop calling me she, and I'd really love to leave all of that behind me. I don't feel that it's anyone else's business unless I'm having sex with them or they're my doctor.

Just feeling disappointed and struggling to feel happy about this situation. Side note: I'm not going to respond to any idiot who decides to tell me I'm making a mistake, or anything of that genre.
Reply 1
you didn't really ask a question so i will

Are you a transgender because you want your body to match your perception of yourself or are you transgender because you want people to perceive you in a certain way?
I wont attack you for either or anything I'm just curious.
You will be on hormones though when you start uni?
Reply 3
Original post by AzureCeleste
You will be on hormones though when you start uni?

I will be, yeah, but the first effects take about 6 months to show up. That's why I was hoping for an earlier date, so that my voice would have dropped by the time term starts. The way testosterone is administered is to mirror male puberty, so unfortunately I don't just turn into a man within the year. It takes aaaages.
Original post by Anonymous
I will be, yeah, but the first effects take about 6 months to show up. That's why I was hoping for an earlier date, so that my voice would have dropped by the time term starts. The way testosterone is administered is to mirror male puberty, so unfortunately I don't just turn into a man within the year. It takes aaaages.

It's annoying but people at uni will know you're a guy. Like as long as you dress and look like a guy people will be fine
Reply 5
Original post by Zasty
you didn't really ask a question so i will

Are you a transgender because you want your body to match your perception of yourself or are you transgender because you want people to perceive you in a certain way?
I wont attack you for either or anything I'm just curious.

Thank you for being polite. I think the most common scientific theory at the moment is that being transgender is a neurological disorder akin to autism. Our brains are wired differently, and unfortunately that can't be changed. My brain is utterly convinced that I'm male, but my body says otherwise, and since changing the brain isn't possible I'm seeking to change my body instead so that they'll stop arguing about it. So in answer to your question, I think it's mostly the former. I want my body to match the way I perceive myself. Although, being seen as male is a massive bonus, since it means that other people are recognising me for what I see myself as.
Reply 6
Thank you for being polite. I think the most common scientific theory at the moment is that being transgender is a neurological disorder akin to autism. Our brains are wired differently, and unfortunately that can't be changed. My brain is utterly convinced that I'm male, but my body says otherwise, and since changing the brain isn't possible I'm seeking to change my body instead so that they'll stop arguing about it. So in answer to your question, I think it's mostly the former. I want my body to match the way I perceive myself. Although, being seen as male is a massive bonus, since it means that other people are recognising me for what I see myself as.

Thanks for the answer.
Wasn't tryna target you, i just ask those questions to every trans person i meet and i get a variety of answers.
Tbh i need more trans friends so i can discuss these things regularly with them :^)
crybaby.jpg

As a transman myself, I can tell you that the first effects do not take six months to show up at all. They start quite early and you cannot say for sure how well your genes will react to the HRT.
Reply 9
As a transman myself, I can tell you that the first effects do not take six months to show up at all. They start quite early and you cannot say for sure how well your genes will react to the HRT.

Are you on T yourself? I saw Dr Dundas from GenderCare yesterday and he told me it would take about 6 months for my voice to drop noticeably, which is the most important one for me.
Are you on T yourself? I saw Dr Dundas from GenderCare yesterday and he told me it would take about 6 months for my voice to drop noticeably, which is the most important one for me.

Yes, I'm two years on T. My voice dropped within the first month and has continued to drop from there. My facial hair is still lacking, though it's starting to fill in now, but everything else has been great.
Yes, I'm two years on T. My voice dropped within the first month and has continued to drop from there. My facial hair is still lacking, though it's starting to fill in now, but everything else has been great.

That's really good to hear. Thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending