The Student Room Group

Final Semester - I want to do this but I feel I can't.

Hey everyone, this is not the first time I have posted this sort of question and so far I'll give my backstory. I'm currently a final year computer science student who is almost done his degree. I worked in the industry so I'm already at this university for 4 years. I started with my final year with optimism and being nervous since this year counts for a lot.

During my first semester, I had issues with the workload, personal issues, problems at work and generally wasn't in the best place. My supervisor, director of study, and the subject director all agreed I should go to counselling. I did. It didn't help except with them advising me to take a year out. I kept pushing through first semester and got very good marks but with everything happening I never had a chance to take a break. So I spent my entire Christmas working and this attitude has kept up till now. Recently I've been struggling more and more with the workload, and for some reason, I'm always on edge and crying a lot. I don't understand why that might be the case as I never stop working and therefore should not be behind, but I feel I am. My grades, however, are starting to suffer compared to the first semester, and I'm terrified of what mark I could get for my final year project.

I'm stuck in this place where I'm unsure what to do, and I don't know who to talk to. I'm tired of the constant crying, this underlining fear that always seems to be present and I just want it gone. What can I do?
Reply 1
In today's day and age we have everything handed to us to the point where people feel as if it's a chore with what we do, myself included. We often forget billions of people are not as fortunate as us but unfortunately since everything is spoon-fed we fail to feel the true meaning of responsibility.

Just remember, you're studying now for a better future regardless of how cliche it sounds. You've worked this hard and you're at the finish line so don't let the four years of experience go to waste with the last final months of uni.

Trust me, you'll look back and tell yourself that it was all worth it.

: )
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Albrecht Durer
Hey everyone, this is not the first time I have posted this sort of question and so far I'll give my backstory. I'm currently a final year computer science student who is almost done his degree. I worked in the industry so I'm already at this university for 4 years. I started with my final year with optimism and being nervous since this year counts for a lot.

During my first semester, I had issues with the workload, personal issues, problems at work and generally wasn't in the best place. My supervisor, director of study, and the subject director all agreed I should go to counselling. I did. It didn't help except with them advising me to take a year out. I kept pushing through first semester and got very good marks but with everything happening I never had a chance to take a break. So I spent my entire Christmas working and this attitude has kept up till now. Recently I've been struggling more and more with the workload, and for some reason, I'm always on edge and crying a lot. I don't understand why that might be the case as I never stop working and therefore should not be behind, but I feel I am. My grades, however, are starting to suffer compared to the first semester, and I'm terrified of what mark I could get for my final year project.

I'm stuck in this place where I'm unsure what to do, and I don't know who to talk to. I'm tired of the constant crying, this underlining fear that always seems to be present and I just want it gone. What can I do?

It's a stressful time final year. And don't think you're alone! There's dozens of posts floating around the internet of how stressful and demoralising final year is. There is a lot fo crying and half of the time you think to yourself 'why am I actually crying' and then you get frustrated that you're crying for no reason. But remember, crying is part of an emotion; sadness, frustration, anger, anxiety, etc. So don't worry about it - cry as much as you want to. That way, you're getting out any built-up emotions out of your system!

Final year is a push and struggle! But think of it this way - you've come so far now, why give in? All those crying and stress will all be for nothing when you're so close to that finish line. Once you get your dissertation project out of the way, you can look back in pride to think, despite all the challenges that came in your way, you past them and you got your degree as a result. When I look back and think how many crappy times I had or stressed over things like deadlines and money worries I just laugh and think I'm so grateful because I wouldn't be here today if I told myself to give up. It's the easy option. But I guarantee if you keep going, that sense of pride you get when you submit all your assignments will be the best thing ever.

During my dissertation submission period, I was going through a tough time with me then, partner, I was stressed out, I wasn't eating or sleeping - had money worries, worried about what happens after uni and all this stress actually brought on the fungal infection shingles! Even the doctor was so surprised I was that stressed out, my body actually brought out shingles from the chicken pox I got when I was younger! I couldn't believe I was getting myself so worked up it was making me physically ill! But despite all of it, I got on with it and submitted my dissertation and everyday I look at my graduation photo and I smile at it with great accomplishment and pride. I did that. I graduated, despite the difficulties I faced throughout my uni career and during the last few weeks. I did that. And you can do it too!

Yes, might a bit cliche but you actually can do it. Just take a moment to break. Think to yourself is there anything you can do differently to take the pressure off? Your time management, what should you be prioritising, are you taking effective breaks to help you distress? Walk 10 mins around the block get some fresh air, etc.

The end is in sight. You can do it! If a stranger over the internet can believe in you, have more confidence to believe in yourself! You got this fella!
Original post by Albrecht Durer

I echo what @The Empire Odyssey has said - try not to give up now that you're so close to finishing! I have felt the same way since the start of my final year, I've had many emotional breakdowns where I've been convinced I can't do it and that I'd be better dropping out. Remind yourself that no one finds the final year of university easy that you're definitely not alone in feeling overwhelmed. I'd suggest taking a little break from studying and putting everything in perspective - you've come this far in your course, there's no reason why you can't do the rest, the amount of work you've got left to do can only get smaller.

I would also arrange a meeting to discuss your situation (that the counselling didn't help and you're still struggling) with your personal tutor, or in fact any tutor that you feel the most comfortable with. They should help you to organise the work you've got and also see if they can offer any deadline extensions.

You can do this! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending