The Student Room Group

AQA Maths Question

Hey, so I got my maths mock back, (I got a 9 wooooo!) and I lost 3 marks across the 3 papers. I don't see my teacher again till next week and it's really been bugging me because I dont understand what I have done wrong.

The first Question is as follows:
"Beth and Mia translate documents from English to Spanish, a set of documents takes Beth 8 days and Mia 10 days.
Beth starts to translate the documents, After 2 days Beth and Mia both work on the documents.
How many more days will it take to translate the documents?"

I was sure the answer was 3 and 1/3 days and I can't see any possible alternative.

The other question was:
(This is part b of the question, but it doesn't really relate to part A)
"Kim wants to predict how many planes will arrive at the airport per year:
Kim estimates 150 planes land in a 4 hour period. She also assumes the same number of planes land each day.
Work out her prediction"
I found the answer to be 328,500.

I feel like these questions were really simple, and I thought I got them right but am not sure where I've gone wrong. Any help would be much appreciated :smile:
EDIT: Both are non calc
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by GeorgGGee
Hey, so I got my maths mock back, (I got a 9 wooooo!) and I lost 3 marks across the 3 papers. I don't see my teacher again till next week and it's really been bugging me because I dont understand what I have done wrong.

"Beth and Mia translate documents from English to Spanish, a set of documents takes Beth 8 days and Mia 10 days.
Beth starts to translate the documents, After 2 days Beth and Mia both work on the documents.

I was sure the answer was 3 and 1/3 days and I can't see any possible alternative.

The other question was:
Kim estimates 150 planes land in a 4 hour period. She also assumes the same number of planes land each day.
Work out her prediction"

I feel like these questions were really simple, and I thought I got them right but am not sure where I've gone wrong. Any help would be much appreciated :smile:
EDIT: Both are non c

Agree with both of those answers.
Reply 2
Really? I lost a mark for each of these questions though...
The first one was 4 marks, the second was 3.
Reply 3
May have been working, speak to your teacher.
really don't understand this first question (beth and mia), could you explain how you worked it out? teacher wasn't much help ):

The other question was:
Work out her prediction"

EDIT: Both are non calc
Did you find out where you went wrong?
Reply 6
Original post by October2019
Did you find out where you went wrong?

Hey, sorry for a late reply but yeah I did; nothing wrong with my working or anything, it's just on the second question my 0 looked like a 6 and on the 1st apparently they wanted the answer as 4 WHOLE days which I think is rather stupid to be honest but oh well!

Original post by coolstudynerd123
really don't understand this first question (beth and mia), could you explain how you worked it out? teacher wasn't much help ):

Again, sorry for a late reply but basically:

I gave the number of documents and arbitrary value that could easily be divided by 8 and 10, I chose 80.
In that case:
In one day, Beth would do 10 documents.
And Mia would do 8.
So together they do 18 per day, and Beth has already done 2 days worth of work, so there are 60 documents left.
You then do 60/18, which as a mixed fraction is 3 and 1/3!
Hope that helpedddd!!
amazing thank you so much! think i was on the right lines but didnt think to just give the number of documents a value, makes a lot of sense now thanks!
Hey, sorry for a late reply but yeah I did; nothing wrong with my working or anything, it's just on the second question my 0 looked like a 6 and on the 1st apparently they wanted the answer as 4 WHOLE days which I think is rather stupid to be honest but oh well!

Again, sorry for a late reply but basically:

I gave the number of documents and arbitrary value that could easily be divided by 8 and 10, I chose 80.
In that case:
In one day, Beth would do 10 documents.
And Mia would do 8.
So together they do 18 per day, and Beth has already done 2 days worth of work, so there are 60 documents left.
You then do 60/18, which as a mixed fraction is 3 and 1/3!
Hope that helpedddd!!
hey im also quite late,
if a set of documents that would take beth 8 days would take mia 10 days,
one can deduce from this that each day beth does 1/8 of the documents and mia does 1/10 of the documents,
beth has already done 2 days worth of work,
so beth has done 2/8 or 1/4 worth of work,
therefore, 1-0.25=0.75 or 3/4 worth of work is left,
if beth and mia work together, they do 1/8 plus 1/10= 9/40 of the documents every day together,
therefore, 3/4- the amount of work left, divided by 9/40- the fraction of the documents they do every day while working together,
this brings the answer to be 10/3 or 3 and 1/3 days left or remaining,
thank you if this method helped everyone,
i have always likes mathematics

Quick Reply

Latest