CaraSI
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Hiya,

My flatmates and me currently live in halls but we'd like to find something private next year.
We live in a small town in Scotland with just a number of houses available. After we went to the estate agent today, they told us we won't be able to find anything with them or other estate agents, because they don't manage properties with a an HMO license which is necessary for a flat with more than 2 people and there are 3 of us. Everything we can find online is managed by said estate agents our College is no help either.

Does anyone have an idea how to get around the HMO license or if there are exceptions to the rule for students?
I read that there can be an exception somehow if we are still registered with at our main address at home.

Thanks for your help!
Cheers,
Cara
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Hi Cara,

Have you searched around other accommodations?
I know most people move into student housing together and have never been flagged by a HMO problem.

I would definitely fish around a little more, places like Zoopla and official student housing and check for answers there.
It's not a common problem I've ever heard of.

Best of luck
Josh
Helloworld_95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Try to post on the university's forum here, you might have more luck.

HMO licenses are required for households of 3 or more unrelated people in Scotland so they are correct. However this also means that a landlord should theoretically be more likely to have one for a given house, but as you're talking about a small town I'm guessing most of the housing is bungalows or cottages or similar so just doesn't have the room for it, and it's not necessarily profitable enough for a common 3-4 bedroom place to be worth getting a HMO licence. There are no exceptions for a HMO licence and if a landlord catches you trying to get around it then they will start kicking people out as the fine is very high.

I'm guessing you're at one of the UHI colleges in which case you might have to just accept it and live in halls. Alternatively you could live close by to each other and visit each other all the time as the savings do seem worth the sacrifice.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (34)
25.56%
No (99)
74.44%

Watched Threads