The Student Room Group

STEP and applying for natural sciences

Hello everyone,

I'm currently in year 12 and preparing for step, however I am not currently thinking of doing a maths degree, I am just doing it because I enjoy it and it helps with my maths and f maths a levels. I am instead thinking of applying for natural sciences(specifically the physics options) at cambridge and was wondering if I got a good grade in step would it help my application and make me stand out? Or would they not consider it at all?
Anyone have any help?
STEP 2 3 is a very challenging examination so it totally would help your application.And as far as I know mathematics is very essential when solving problems in Natural Sciences.Or You can write the experience when tackling the the maths problems into PS or finding some connections between natural science and mathematics.
Reply 3
Original post by Tom Osborne
Hello everyone,

I'm currently in year 12 and preparing for step, however I am not currently thinking of doing a maths degree, I am just doing it because I enjoy it and it helps with my maths and f maths a levels. I am instead thinking of applying for natural sciences(specifically the physics options) at cambridge and was wondering if I got a good grade in step would it help my application and make me stand out? Or would they not consider it at all?

The advise is not to take STEP early unless you are *very* confident you will do well. STEP is designed to be sat as an offer condition at the end of Sixth Form, not in Y12.

Also it's not required or preferred for NatSci at all.

A good grade in STEP (a 1 or S) is always a good thing to have, but anything less may actually disadvantage you. You get no brownie points for doing it early.

PS. I've moved this to the Cambridge forum :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zeke Star
STEP 2 3 is a very challenging examination so it totally would help your application.And as far as I know mathematics is very essential when solving problems in Natural Sciences.Or You can write the experience when tackling the the maths problems into PS or finding some connections between natural science and mathematics.

Yeah, I think I will mention it in my personal statement. Thank you for the reply.
how about mathematics with physics?
Original post by Doonesbury
The advise is not to take STEP early unless you are *very* confident you will do well. STEP is designed to be sat as an offer condition at the end of Sixth Form, not in Y12.

Also it's not required or preferred for NatSci at all.

A good grade in STEP (a 1 or S) is always a good thing to have, but anything less may actually disadvantage you. You get no brownie points for doing it early.

PS. I've moved this to the Cambridge forum :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, that makes sense, I didn't really think about that. I guess if nothing else then I can mention it as experience in my personal statement. Thank you for replying.
Original post by yolkie
how about mathematics with physics?

Yeah, I have heard about that, and that would be my preferred route. But since all my other uni applications will be physics, I don't know how I would write my personal statement. Would it matter if it was largely focused on Physics rather than maths? This is what I have been struggling to decide on, natsci or maths with phys. I also know that there are more applications per place for maths than for natsci, so it is harder to get into. I am finding it a very tough decision!
Yeah, I have heard about that, and that would be my preferred route. But since all my other uni applications will be physics, I don't know how I would write my personal statement. Would it matter if it was largely focused on Physics rather than maths? This is what I have been struggling to decide on, natsci or maths with phys. I also know that there are more applications per place for maths than for natsci, so it is harder to get into. I am finding it a very tough decision!

It doesn't matter, I applied for both natural sciences and physics. Admissions know that different courses are different. I wrote something like "I am interested in a natural sciences or broad/modular physics course". More applications per place doesn't necessarily mean harder it just means more applications per place, not really worth being paranoid about stuff like that just apply for what you want to do.
If you do chemistry at A Level and even slightly enjoy it the part 1a course is very interesting, it's making me consider chemistry next year. I don't touch earth science or materials so I don't really know about those.
If you enjoy mathematics in its more rigorous form (i.e. not A Level) then doing maths is probably the way to go. If you do well on STEP practice papers then it's probably for you. I wanted to apply for maths but I found I would only ever do the mechanics STEP questions so I just applied for natural sciences.
Keep in mind that with both mathematics and physics and natural sciences you can progress to part 1b physics courses like there was no difference.
Reply 9

If you are applying to Cambridge you write your PS for the benefit of all your other universities. Cambridge asks you to also complete an extra form called the SAQ (Supplementary Admissions Questionnaire). This form includes an optional additional personal statement just for the course at Cambridge.

Also, it's very important to pick the course you actually prefer rather than worrying about admissions stats. The offer rate for Maths (36% in 2017) is higher than NatSci (26%), but that's because STEP is hard... the average acceptance (ie. places) rate for NatSci was 22%, Maths is 17%. Not hugely different.

Edit: a tip... you don't have to apply to all five universities at the same time. You have the early deadline, 15th Oct, for Cambridge but you can add each of your other choices whenever you like before 15th Jan 2020. Indeed it can be a good tactic to leave a couple of choices until after you get your Cambridge decision in early January. Just be aware you can't change any other aspect of your application. So your PS and reference, for example, must stay the same throughout.
(edited 5 years ago)
I have some useful advice on this subject as I'm doing physical natsci and had the same dilemma. I suggested in my interview that I would like to sit STEP 1 and would they consider making that part of my (potential) offer were they to make me an offer. They said they were going to think about and that it sounded like a good idea. It then turned out that my offer didn't require any STEP grade after all - which was a shame as I would have quite liked some motivation to go and sit it! My advise would be to go for it as it will be useful practice and I don't think it will ever hinder you - that's frankly ridiculous! The only negative is that taking STEP a year early could dent your confidence were it not to go well! Best of luck
Reply 11
Original post by WhiteScythe
I don't think it will ever hinder you - that's frankly ridiculous!

Doing poorly may well hinder an applicant.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doonesbury
Doing poorly may well hinder an applicant.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not in my experience, my friend accepted just this year failed all three STEP modules and still was accepted for Compsci. I'm not sure where you got such an impression...
Reply 13
Not in my experience, my friend accepted just this year failed all three STEP modules and still was accepted for Compsci. I'm not sure where you got such an impression...

What does "failed" mean? And did they declare it on UCAS (they should have)?
Original post by Doones
If you are applying to Cambridge you write your PS for the benefit of all your other universities. Cambridge asks you to also complete an extra form called the SAQ (Supplementary Admissions Questionnaire). This form includes an optional additional personal statement just for the course at Cambridge.

Also, it's very important to pick the course you actually prefer rather than worrying about admissions stats. The offer rate for Maths (36% in 2017) is higher than NatSci (26%), but that's because STEP is hard... the average acceptance (ie. places) rate for NatSci was 22%, Maths is 17%. Not hugely different.

Edit: a tip... you don't have to apply to all five universities at the same time. You have the early deadline, 15th Oct, for Cambridge but you can add each of your other choices whenever you like before 15th Jan 2020. Indeed it can be a good tactic to leave a couple of choices until after you get your Cambridge decision in early January. Just be aware you can't change any other aspect of your application. So your PS and reference, for example, must stay the same throughout.

Wow, I didn't know that. I'm definitely leaning towards maths with physics after hearing that. That was very helpful.Thank you
I have some useful advice on this subject as I'm doing physical natsci and had the same dilemma. I suggested in my interview that I would like to sit STEP 1 and would they consider making that part of my (potential) offer were they to make me an offer. They said they were going to think about and that it sounded like a good idea. It then turned out that my offer didn't require any STEP grade after all - which was a shame as I would have quite liked some motivation to go and sit it! My advise would be to go for it as it will be useful practice and I don't think it will ever hinder you - that's frankly ridiculous! The only negative is that taking STEP a year early could dent your confidence were it not to go well! Best of luck

Yeah, that's a good idea. I guess it is worth a shot if I end up going for natsci. Thank you for advice!
Original post by yolkie
It doesn't matter, I applied for both natural sciences and physics. Admissions know that different courses are different. I wrote something like "I am interested in a natural sciences or broad/modular physics course". More applications per place doesn't necessarily mean harder it just means more applications per place, not really worth being paranoid about stuff like that just apply for what you want to do.
If you do chemistry at A Level and even slightly enjoy it the part 1a course is very interesting, it's making me consider chemistry next year. I don't touch earth science or materials so I don't really know about those.
If you enjoy mathematics in its more rigorous form (i.e. not A Level) then doing maths is probably the way to go. If you do well on STEP practice papers then it's probably for you. I wanted to apply for maths but I found I would only ever do the mechanics STEP questions so I just applied for natural sciences.
Keep in mind that with both mathematics and physics and natural sciences you can progress to part 1b physics courses like there was no difference.

Yeah, I think you're right. I'm not doing Chemistry A-level which is annoying bc it means I would be stuck with earth and material science, which doesn't appeal to me. So I am leaning towards maths with physics. Thank you for the help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending