Can someone with dyscalculia pass maths? Watch

LilacRoses
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi,

so in college I was assessed as being at high risk of dyscalculia. I am at university now but still have no maths qualification which I need because of my career plans.

So, is it possible to pass maths as someone who has dyscalculia and does anyone with or at risk of dyscalculia have any tips or advice about how to pass GCSE-level maths?

Thank you!
claireestelle
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by LilacRoses)
Hi,

so in college I was assessed as being at high risk of dyscalculia. I am at university now but still have no maths qualification which I need because of my career plans.

So, is it possible to pass maths as someone who has dyscalculia and does anyone with or at risk of dyscalculia have any tips or advice about how to pass GCSE-level maths?

Thank you!
Now you're at university, i'd go get a proper diagnosis as a screening test like that doesn't have much weight,if you see an educational psychologist then the report they give you will be able to tell you what your strengths and weakness are so you'll better learn how to work.
Minxel
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I’m high on the scale for dyscalculia but I’ve never had any proper support for it.
I’ve not found anything that has fixed the problem so far...BUT... I do take a maths class so I can get a GCSE for uni and my tutor is fantastic. He says that because it is functional maths, he will only teach the simplest methods to solving maths problems.
I think that having a good, patient teacher has been the biggest help for me with doing maths. All my other teachers have either given up, got angry with me or mocked me and it puts a huge mental block in the way.
I still struggle with all of the basic stuff like simple addition, subtraction, multiplication and division (and I’m talking single digits here) and telling the time on an analogue clock, amongst other things, and I think I will always struggle with that. But understanding the methods at least gives me a foot in the door and I don’t feel like I’m coming up against a brick wall just by looking at a maths question.
Things that have helped me are:
- Breaking down the questions into smaller bits.
-Memorising the methods. Using rhymes, or tricks or anything. Anything that will prompt your memory.
- Writing questions down in an art form. So if it’s a question or ratio or division, for example, what ratio of pizza do 3 people have if the ratio is 2:3:4 or something*, I draw the pizza out and the people and then the individual slices and stuff. It takes a bit more time but it helps to visualise things.

I do my exam in a few weeks so we’ll see how well it works haha. I won’t ever be able to do maths in my head but I’ve survived without it this long, I only need a grade to get into uni.

* I have no idea if this example makes any sense whatsoever :P
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of West London
    Undergraduate Open Day - West London Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 2 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (449)
19.01%
The paper was reasonable (1101)
46.61%
Not feeling great about that exam... (520)
22.02%
It was TERRIBLE (292)
12.36%

Watched Threads