The Student Room Group

Reapply for Durham or go to other options

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MaiaHughes2000
Thank you, that's really helped me :smile: Like you said I don't think I'm mentally ready to have another rejection from Durham and would have no good plans for a gap year.

I really want to do well still and don't want this to prevent me from achieving my predicted grades still, I'll definitely treat myself though!

I got 7 A*s, 2 As and a B, I don't know how this compares to the average Durham applicant?

And you too, best of luck! What are your plans?

Ur predicted grades are amazing!! I’m glad u haven’t let this put u off achieving them❤️❤️

My plan is v similar , to apply to Durham , Nottingham, maybe Cardiff (and idk where else) for law, but I’m pretty much expecting a straight up rejection from Durham haha I only got 5A*s 4As and 1B
A lot of Durham applicants use Durham as a backup to oxbridge, so it makes sense that a lot of applicants will have at least 8-10A*s
Anyway who cares about Durham, right? 😂👏
All your offers are from very well respected unis and I think wherever you end up going you’ll eventually feel like it was right one for you! I love Durham too but I went to a Nottingham offed day yesterday and I’m doubting whether to put Durham as my firm as I was so impressed. On top of having a good reputation Nottingham seemed to have a really lovely atmosphere and although the cities a lot bigger than Durham there is advantage of a much more vibrant social life. Most of the accommodation there is catered and have formals every term like Durham. It has a lake which you can row on in the summer, old pretty buildings (including the accommodation halls) and even has a castle again like Durham. Nottingham is defo one worth considering:smile:
Original post by IzzyGC
I think that what you should do is find other universities that you like, but apply for adjuctment, or if you don't meet your offers then apply through clearing. Last year I read something like (I may be wrong though) that 40% of people went through clearing to get into uni. But my best friend did it, got CDD in her a levels and got into do environmental science at Reading. I understand Durham is a bit more competitive but people get in places wildly above their grades through clearing becuase the universities are just desperate to fill spots by that point

Hopefully I won't have to go through clearing as I still want to work as hard as I can :smile:
Original post by rose.obrien
Ur predicted grades are amazing!! I’m glad u haven’t let this put u off achieving them❤️❤️

My plan is v similar , to apply to Durham , Nottingham, maybe Cardiff (and idk where else) for law, but I’m pretty much expecting a straight up rejection from Durham haha I only got 5A*s 4As and 1B
A lot of Durham applicants use Durham as a backup to oxbridge, so it makes sense that a lot of applicants will have at least 8-10A*s
Anyway who cares about Durham, right? 😂👏

That's the attitude I'm trying to take now and thank you so much :smile::smile:

What do you think will be your firm choice then if Durham say no? Have you managed to look round Nottingham as I haven't yet have an offer so may firm it but was wondering if you had? xx
Original post by random_matt
This, I learnt the hard way. Don't get caught up in buzz words and numbers, it may backfire.

What is it you don't like about Durham again?
Original post by Notoriety
I think it's a bad idea to take a year out just to reapply to a particular uni, as there's a good chance you'll face the same outcome next year and you'll have spent a year owt for nowt. A mate of mine did it for Cambridge (after missing offer, resitting blah) and it really was just a waste of time.

Durham is not that unique of a place. Its college system is a glorified halls of residence with a bursar and karaoke nights. The city is small and dreary.

Far from it, assume you're studying at one of the lesser unis mentioned.

Anyway, Durham is a very quaint city, the college system is fantastic with subsidised societies to join and a more communal aspect - we all eat with each other everyday and have our own college clubs for sports etc.

The college system allows for a fantastic social life with our own college bars and colleges libraries, you will always see people you know.

Not to mention the Law course (along with many other strong courses such as Engineering, History & Geography to name but a few) is only topped by Oxbridge in the UK, constant events with the law society and a beautiful law school.

It is well worth reapplying so that you don't have to go to these lesser unis and screw up your job prospects.
Original post by Bubbles9872
All your offers are from very well respected unis and I think wherever you end up going you’ll eventually feel like it was right one for you! I love Durham too but I went to a Nottingham offed day yesterday and I’m doubting whether to put Durham as my firm as I was so impressed. On top of having a good reputation Nottingham seemed to have a really lovely atmosphere and although the cities a lot bigger than Durham there is advantage of a much more vibrant social life. Most of the accommodation there is catered and have formals every term like Durham. It has a lake which you can row on in the summer, old pretty buildings (including the accommodation halls) and even has a castle again like Durham. Nottingham is defo one worth considering:smile:

Thank you, I'll definitely take it into consideration :smile: Maybe I'll go and have a look round Nottingham again and see if I enjoy the feel of it.

Are these formals just for law? I really loved the look of the formals for Durham so that was a selling point for me but I think I really need to have a look! Best of luck xx
This, I learnt the hard way. Don't get caught up in buzz words and numbers, it may backfire.

Do you go to Durham then I presume? Do you not enjoy it there?
Do you go to Durham then I presume? Do you not enjoy it there?

Left in November, because of one death, another with heart issues and father came down with cancer. Never liked the place anyway, but I guess there was every chance I would have stayed without that crap.
Original post by ChemistryGuy1998

Anyway, Durham is a very quaint city, the college system is fantastic with subsidised societies to join and a more communal aspect - we all eat with each other everyday and have our own college clubs for sports etc.

The college system allows for a fantastic social life with our own college bars and colleges libraries, you will always see people you know.

Not to mention the Law course (along with many other strong courses such as Engineering, History & Geography to name but a few) is only topped by Oxbridge in the UK, constant events with the law society and a beautiful law school.

It is well worth reapplying so that you don't have to go to these lesser unis and screw up your job prospects

The law school is half a corridor; shared with the uni's main reception building. It's cramped, with the Hogan Lovell lecture theatre being hidden in the side of the building and nothing more than that. But a bunch of offices on the upper floors; interiors being rather nice and soundproofed, but aside from that.

The events you talk about are what you'll find at any other half-decent uni. Hale and Neuberger go to other unis, ya know.

We've already established the uni you attend does not determine your job prospects; as not everyone decides uni based on average UCAS points, nor are employers familiar with which has the slightly harder entry. I am not going to take the word of an insecure fresher over personal experience and the opinion of top recruiters.
Original post by Notoriety
A lot of Notts "prestige" is historical. From when it was an A*AA uni and people mistakenly believed this meant it was better than the AAAers; i.e. what QMUL currently does to adds to its prestige. And from people thinking that Notts being an LNAT makes it more prestigious than the non-LNATs. I don't think there is much of an edge in terms of prestige and whatever. Newcastle is alright; don't knock it.

Again, just base it on what you like the look of. Certainly don't choose based on which has a famous chemistry-based YouTube channel!

That's what I presumed because it still made you take the LNAT but all the other four seem similar in terms of reputation.

The campus does look lovely, as does Exeter's; I wasn't impressed with York though if I'm being honest.

I'm going to try and look around Nottingham as I've heard good things but I'm very conflicted; would you have one you'd focus on now?
Original post by ChemistryGuy1998

It is well worth reapplying so that you don't have to go to these lesser unis and screw up your job prospects.

Oh right - you really seem to love Durham, makes me jealous :frown:

Would you say there's much of an advantage to it over a Nottingham or Exeter? Most people don't seem to think so.
Left in November, because of one death, another with heart issues and father came down with cancer. Never liked the place anyway, but I guess there was every chance I would have stayed without that crap.

I'm very sorry to hear that :frown: Do you think any of the other 4 are any better?
Oh right - you really seem to love Durham, makes me jealous :frown:

Would you say there's much of an advantage to it over a Nottingham or Exeter? Most people don't seem to think so.

You really should not listen to this individuals advice.
I'm very sorry to hear that :frown: Do you think any of the other 4 are any better?

Hear Exeter is good, certainly nothing wrong with Nottingham either.
You really should not listen to this individuals advice.

Hear Exeter is good, certainly nothing wrong with Nottingham either.

Thank you, those are the two I'm leaning towards right now if I'm honest but a long time to go and make a decision :smile:
That's the attitude I'm trying to take now and thank you so much :smile::smile:

What do you think will be your firm choice then if Durham say no? Have you managed to look round Nottingham as I haven't yet have an offer so may firm it but was wondering if you had? xx

No problem, I’m so glad to have helped!
I would think Nottingham would be my backup - it seems lovely
I haven’t actually been to an open day there so i can’t personally tell u what it’s like (I’m planning to book one for this summer)
However my sister visited (for medicine) and she said the campus was SO beautiful , and chose it for one of her choices straight after visiting :smile:
The medicine course there also appealed to her, but obviously that isn’t relevant here :smile:
I heard that notts does mark harshly, but honestly that shows it’s academically tough, which is what an applicant like u is probably suited for.
I wouldn’t read too much into that tho, it’s not a big factor to consider ofc
Original post by rose.obrien
No problem, I’m so glad to have helped!
I would think Nottingham would be my backup - it seems lovely
I haven’t actually been to an open day there so i can’t personally tell u what it’s like (I’m planning to book one for this summer)
However my sister visited (for medicine) and she said the campus was SO beautiful , and chose it for one of her choices straight after visiting :smile:
The medicine course there also appealed to her, but obviously that isn’t relevant here :smile:
I heard that notts does mark harshly, but honestly that shows it’s academically tough, which is what an applicant like u is probably suited for.
I wouldn’t read too much into that tho, it’s not a big factor to consider ofc

Thank you - presume Durham is still your first choice?

Best of luck though, I hope you get in and I agree, Nottingham does look lovely having looked at it more :smile:
And just wanted to say, if that’s you in your profile picture, you’re absolutely stunning :smile: xx
Thank you - presume Durham is still your first choice?

Best of luck though, I hope you get in and I agree, Nottingham does look lovely having looked at it more :smile:
And just wanted to say, if that’s you in your profile picture, you’re absolutely stunning :smile: xx

Yes Durham is but it’s honestly there for a hopeful choice. thank you and best of luck at notts if u decide to go for it:smile:

My pp is one of he options u can choose off tsr! But thank u, I’ll take the compliment anyway :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending