shahdhaytham
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Hello,
I am quite new to this forum so please excuse my mistakes.Could you please advise me on this-everyone here seems so well-informed and I would be so grateful if you could share your knowledge with me:
I am in year 11 now and I am going to take Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Maths, Extended Project, and perhaps Further Maths for A-Level. I got a scholarship from a private school so that may help me maybe?
For my Gcse these are my predicted/achieved scores:
Biology:9
Chemistry:8 (This will hopefully be a 9 as in my December mocks I achieved a grade 8 on the papers)
Physics:9
English Lang:9-
English Lit:9
Maths:9
Geography:9
French:8 (I am also aiming for a 9 in French and German and my school was reluctant to predict anyone a 9 in languages)
German:8
Arabic: A* (Achieved)
Finance:A*
Business: Level 2 Distinction* (Achieved)
Further Maths: A*

Compared to other students in my year 3 of mt GCSEs are extra qualifications so most people only have 10 and I will have 13 so I did most of the revision in my own time. I hear Oxbridge looks at that.

A have a few Btecs or like Gcses that are not scored with the new 9-1 system and was wondering if that will be an issue?
The only work experience I have done so far was a week in a research park. I am aware I need to do more so I was trying to organize a few placements in a hospital for the summer this year and I i will start volunteering hopefully at that time as well.
I have also done bronze Duke of Edinbrugh and may finish my Gold STEMM Award this year-which is like Dof E where you do certain hours but in science/stemm to achieve the award.
I have tried applying to few of the science camps in Oxbridge where you spend a few days thesre but people who have parents for instance who did not go to university or love in a certain area are encouraged to apply but I did not get in perhaps as my parents both went to uni and I do not live in the areas that they specify. I am aware that it may be a problem in my application but does anyone have recommendations on these kinds of events that I could apply to that do not favour certain students for example? I apologize if any of these seems rude-I am just scared that I do not qualify.
Are there any other things I could do to enhance my application for medicine-as most of you know it is extremly difficult to get in.I have only recently decided to apply as I got the scholarship and thought my chances may improve with a private school but I do not know what I should be doing.
I heard about moocs being good but....

Thank you
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Strong GCSE predictions - main thing for now is achieving the best you can. GCSEs are particularly important for Oxford.

The private school is an advantage and should help you. You'll probably get lots of help most applicants won't, including help with work experience sometimes.

You don't need 5 A-levels. In my mind the only real reason to do more than 3 is if you are uncertain of what you are going to apply to. Remember just how much you will need to be doing alongside A-levels - work experience, voluntary work, preparing for UKCAT, preparing for BMAT, making personal statement, preparing for interviews, going to interviews, doing a good EPQ... you don't need to add more! Having said that, the choices you've picked do have a good degree of overlap so its not totally impossible, just ill-advised.

But for now, getting good grades is enough.
meddad
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by shahdhaytham)
Hello,
I am quite new to this forum so please excuse my mistakes.Could you please advise me on this-everyone here seems so well-informed and I would be so grateful if you could share your knowledge with me:
I am in year 11 now and I am going to take Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Maths, Extended Project, and perhaps Further Maths for A-Level. I got a scholarship from a private school so that may help me maybe?
For my Gcse these are my predicted/achieved scores:
Biology:9
Chemistry:8 (This will hopefully be a 9 as in my December mocks I achieved a grade 8 on the papers)
Physics:9
English Lang:9-
English Lit:9
Maths:9
Geography:9
French:8 (I am also aiming for a 9 in French and German and my school was reluctant to predict anyone a 9 in languages)
German:8
Arabic: A* (Achieved)
Finance:A*
Business: Level 2 Distinction* (Achieved)
Further Maths: A*

Compared to other students in my year 3 of mt GCSEs are extra qualifications so most people only have 10 and I will have 13 so I did most of the revision in my own time. I hear Oxbridge looks at that.

A have a few Btecs or like Gcses that are not scored with the new 9-1 system and was wondering if that will be an issue?
The only work experience I have done so far was a week in a research park. I am aware I need to do more so I was trying to organize a few placements in a hospital for the summer this year and I i will start volunteering hopefully at that time as well.
I have also done bronze Duke of Edinbrugh and may finish my Gold STEMM Award this year-which is like Dof E where you do certain hours but in science/stemm to achieve the award.
I have tried applying to few of the science camps in Oxbridge where you spend a few days thesre but people who have parents for instance who did not go to university or love in a certain area are encouraged to apply but I did not get in perhaps as my parents both went to uni and I do not live in the areas that they specify. I am aware that it may be a problem in my application but does anyone have recommendations on these kinds of events that I could apply to that do not favour certain students for example? I apologize if any of these seems rude-I am just scared that I do not qualify.
Are there any other things I could do to enhance my application for medicine-as most of you know it is extremly difficult to get in.I have only recently decided to apply as I got the scholarship and thought my chances may improve with a private school but I do not know what I should be doing.
I heard about moocs being good but....

Thank you
I agree with the first reply you received.

The only thing I would add is that you should make sure that you are aiming for Oxbridge for the right reasons. There is no additional prestige attached to an Oxbridge medical degree. All Medicine degrees are taught to the same GMC standard and carry equal weight, so when you apply for training posts after graduation you get the same credit for finishing in the top 10% or 20% of your cohort regardless of where you studied.

Most applicants base where they apply on things like course structure, whether there is early or later exposure to medical environments, whether they want to take an additional year to intercalate, the general feel of the place from Open Days, whether they prefer a collegiate system, geographical location etc. Unless you've done that investigation (and perhaps you have), then I think it's a bit early to make an informed choice on where you want to apply.

If you achieve the GCSE grades you've mentioned and do well in the UKCAT and/or BMAT tests you will have a range of places you can apply. For work experience and volunteering it's more about what you learn about a medical career, also about team working, communications and about people requiring help in a care environment. That's more important than having a long list of things you've done. Some ongoing volunteering in a care environment, and one or two placements should be fine.

As the earlier post said, don't overload yourself with too many A levels. It's better to have good grades at 3 subjects than to stretch yourself too thinly. That will be particularly important if you end up applying to Oxbridge, who have higher A level grade requirements than most other Medical Schools.
shahdhaytham
Rep:
?
Hello,
Thank your for your advise. I know that GCSE is the most important thing to focus on now. I will probably drop the further maths course since I probably won't need it. Do you know anything else I should be doing later to enhance my application to Oxbridge?
(Original post by nexttime)
Strong GCSE predictions - main thing for now is achieving the best you can. GCSEs are particularly important for Oxford.

The private school is an advantage and should help you. You'll probably get lots of help most applicants won't, including help with work experience sometimes.

You don't need 5 A-levels. In my mind the only real reason to do more than 3 is if you are uncertain of what you are going to apply to. Remember just how much you will need to be doing alongside A-levels - work experience, voluntary work, preparing for UKCAT, preparing for BMAT, making personal statement, preparing for interviews, going to interviews, doing a good EPQ... you don't need to add more! Having said that, the choices you've picked do have a good degree of overlap so its not totally impossible, just ill-advised.

But for now, getting good grades is enough.
shahdhaytham
Rep:
?
I have been on student room looking at people's post who want to apply to Medicine Oxbridge and everyone gets told this. I guess it is because it is a traditional course and there is not any patient contact in the first 3 years. I do know that but I like the structure of this course as to me this is the most important as I want a career in research hence my work experience in a research park. Also I would like to do the USMLE which focuses a lot on anotamy and the body itself-all the extra knowledge that is taught to oxbridge students that you will probably not need in a clinical career. I truly want to apply because I feel like it suits me.
Of course being able to study in one of the best universities in the world also appeals to me.
I understand your concern and I am so grateful for your advise and help. Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge and being concerned about my choices.
(Original post by meddad)
I agree with the first reply you received.

The only thing I would add is that you should make sure that you are aiming for Oxbridge for the right reasons. There is no additional prestige attached to an Oxbridge medical degree. All Medicine degrees are taught to the same GMC standard and carry equal weight, so when you apply for training posts after graduation you get the same credit for finishing in the top 10% or 20% of your cohort regardless of where you studied.

Most applicants base where they apply on things like course structure, whether there is early or later exposure to medical environments, whether they want to take an additional year to intercalate, the general feel of the place from Open Days, whether they prefer a collegiate system, geographical location etc. Unless you've done that investigation (and perhaps you have), then I think it's a bit early to make an informed choice on where you want to apply.

If you achieve the GCSE grades you've mentioned and do well in the UKCAT and/or BMAT tests you will have a range of places you can apply. For work experience and volunteering it's more about what you learn about a medical career, also about team working, communications and about people requiring help in a care environment. That's more important than having a long list of things you've done. Some ongoing volunteering in a care environment, and one or two placements should be fine.

As the earlier post said, don't overload yourself with too many A levels. It's better to have good grades at 3 subjects than to stretch yourself too thinly. That will be particularly important if you end up applying to Oxbridge, who have higher A level grade requirements than most other Medical Schools.
meddad
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by shahdhaytham)
I have been on student room looking at people's post who want to apply to Medicine Oxbridge and everyone gets told this. I guess it is because it is a traditional course and there is not any patient contact in the first 3 years. I do know that but I like the structure of this course as to me this is the most important as I want a career in research hence my work experience in a research park. Also I would like to do the USMLE which focuses a lot on anotamy and the body itself-all the extra knowledge that is taught to oxbridge students that you will probably not need in a clinical career. I truly want to apply because I feel like it suits me.
Of course being able to study in one of the best universities in the world also appeals to me.
I understand your concern and I am so grateful for your advise and help. Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge and being concerned about my choices.
It sounds like you're making an informed decision based on your personal preferences, so that's good

Well done on having some well formed views so early on. Of course, those ideas may change over time for a variety of reasons, but it's good imo to have a base to start from.

Good luck !
shahdhaytham
Rep:
?
Thank you for trusting in me and of course for taking the time to help me. Your generosity is truly humbling.
(Original post by meddad)
It sounds like you're making an informed decision based on your personal preferences, so that's good

Well done on having some well formed views so early on. Of course, those ideas may change over time for a variety of reasons, but it's good imo to have a base to start from.

Good luck !
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University