The Student Room Group

Do you need to drive if you teach

I'm planning on starting my PGCE soon and one thing that has been worrying me is the need to drive. I really want to, want to drive.. if this makes sense. But I'm just so worried, I feel like I wouldn't be able to concentrate on two things at once, self doubt etc. I feel like you need to drive to become a teacher but is it essential? I probably will end up taking lessons as the year progresses but I've never pictured myself as a driver and I really don't see it in my future.
Reply 1
Original post by OhHeyItsSoph97
I'm planning on starting my PGCE soon and one thing that has been worrying me is the need to drive. I really want to, want to drive.. if this makes sense. But I'm just so worried, I feel like I wouldn't be able to concentrate on two things at once, self doubt etc. I feel like you need to drive to become a teacher but is it essential? I probably will end up taking lessons as the year progresses but I've never pictured myself as a driver and I really don't see it in my future.

It's not a complete necessity, but it is helpful cos you need to make your own way to the school you teach at. Some certain places may also ask that you can drive if it is relevant, but I don't think it's a common thing.

Honestly though driving is easier than you would think (take this from somebody who can't handle multitasking). If you're worried about thinking about too many things at once try a manual but you can always decide to drive auto.
You'll have two placements at different schools to get to... I think they try and give variety as far as possible so probably located some distance apart.
You'll have to have some method of getting to those schools, what other plan had you got?
Just remember a lot of teachers end up with placements a long way away. I've no idea if they'd change allocations based on transport but it might be worth enquiring.

You don't need to have a driving licence to be a teacher, but it could end up being a pain relying on public transport. You could think about learning in an automatic car which is easier (no gears to worry about), but then you can only drive automatic cars in future
Honestly, driving is okay. I was terrified of learning, to the point where I've put it off for years, but I've had 6 lessons now and the multitasking isn't so bad. It's difficult at first, having to remember what to do at what time, but I've noticed it becomes more natural with every lesson.

I am close to finishing my PGCE and I don't drive. I just take the train or bus.
Ahh that’s great to hear, how are you finding the PGCE? x
Original post by Homo Fuge
I am close to finishing my PGCE and I don't drive. I just take the train or bus.
Ah thank you for this, it’s so reassuring to be in the same position as others. Good Luck with the rest of your tests!
Original post by bones-mccoy
Honestly, driving is okay. I was terrified of learning, to the point where I've put it off for years, but I've had 6 lessons now and the multitasking isn't so bad. It's difficult at first, having to remember what to do at what time, but I've noticed it becomes more natural with every lesson.
Hi everyone, thanks for all of your replies they are really helpful and I’m glad I’m not the only one in this position. It probably would have been useful for me to give a bit of context too, I actually have a disability (mobility problems) which would mean that if I do drive, I’d need to use an automatic. Does anyone drive one and if so what is it like? I think I’m going to have to eventually bite the bullet and go for it. It’s just overcoming the nerves I suppose! X
Hi everyone, thanks for all of your replies they are really helpful and I’m glad I’m not the only one in this position. It probably would have been useful for me to give a bit of context too, I actually have a disability (mobility problems) which would mean that if I do drive, I’d need to use an automatic. Does anyone drive one and if so what is it like? I think I’m going to have to eventually bite the bullet and go for it. It’s just overcoming the nerves I suppose! X

Yes, I drive an automatic, and they're nice to drive. I have a VW Golf and it's a great car - the Polo is good too. But you can get an automatic version of almost every car now :smile:
Fab thank you!
Original post by harrysbar
Yes, I drive an automatic, and they're nice to drive. I have a VW Golf and it's a great car - the Polo is good too. But you can get an automatic version of almost every car now :smile:

It is very strange that you do not want to learn to drive and do not see yourself as a driver in the future. In fact, this is nothing complicated, the main thing is to find a good teacher.
Why is this strange? Many people have replied to this thread already saying they did not want to drive at first and so on. You can’t call somebody strange because they aren’t confident in themselves. I was simply asking advice of people on here whether you can be a teacher without being a driver. I’m not saying I’m never going to drive, but why does it matter to you whether I do or I don’t? Also I don’t understand the last part of your comment?
Original post by AndrewBellasis
It is very strange that you do not want to learn to drive and do not see yourself as a driver in the future. In fact, this is nothing complicated, the main thing is to find a good teacher.
I'd also say you're probably at a good time to learn now... Youve got more free time than you will have when you're working full time plus it unfortunately gets more difficult to learn driving as you get older.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending