White saviour? Stacey Dooley in row with labour Mp David Lammy Watch

Pachuco
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by RivalPlayer)
I think a lot of people have had enough of “raising awareness” about poverty in the developing world. The adverts are always on TV. The desire to pose with poor children from these countries is just another self-absorbed fashion statement for these do-gooder celebs.

Look at Dooley’s Instagram feed: you've got all this don't-I-look-good-in-the-mirror middle-class fashion stuff and then there's a smattering of African poverty chic. The incongruity says it all. It’s always Me, Me, Me with these sorts.
Correct. It's definitely a middle class thing.
looloo2134
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
But these middle-class people would not dream of helping at local FoodBank children home
(Original post by Pachuco)
Fullofsurprises
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by RivalPlayer)
I think a lot of people have had enough of “raising awareness” about poverty in the developing world. The adverts are always on TV. The desire to pose with poor children from these countries is just another self-absorbed fashion statement for these do-gooder celebs.

Look at Dooley’s Instagram feed: you've got all this don't-I-look-good-in-the-mirror middle-class fashion stuff and then there's a smattering of African poverty chic. The incongruity says it all. It’s always Me, Me, Me with these sorts.
She does seem to have come across all starlet-in-need-of-clothes recently, I think it was when she went on Strictly that the posing set it. She has been really excellent in some of her programmes and campaigns in the past.
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Pachuco)
Except Dooley is not by any stretch of the imagination, middle class. She was a Luton shop girl who got very lucky. There is an alternative narrative here of the Harvard lawyer Lammy patronising the working class girl succeeding in the media.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Last edited by nulli tertius; 2 weeks ago
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by nulli tertius)
Except Dooley is not by any stretch of the imagination, middle class. She was a Luton shop girl who got very lucky. There is an alternative narrative here of the Harvard lawyer Lammy patronising the working class girl succeeding in the media.
He's Guyanan and grew up in Tottenham, which he also now represents - he had lucky breaks with schooling (and Guyanans are known internationally for their aspirational, upwardly mobile culture) - but I wouldn't have thought this derives from class superiority on his part. It's fairly clear that he cultivates his USP as an MP by frequent assaults on perceived racism, which can hardly fail to go down well amongst many of his constituents. Never let it be said that a politician is not first and foremost concerned with kowtowing to his electors.
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
frequent assaults on perceived racism
Or frequent racist assaults on perceptions, as might be a bit more accurate.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Good bloke)
Or frequent racist assaults on perceptions, as might be a bit more accurate.
If it is that, it's him playing to the racism of his voters, but I think it's a bit of a stretch to accuse people of Caribbean origin brought up in this country of being racist when they point out our racism. It's also quite clear that with the best will in the world, even if well meaning, the charitable use of images of cool white people holding imperilled black babies in Africa for PR purposes is inevitably going to be seen as racist or colonialist to many.
BlueIndigoViolet
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
David Lammy at it again lol - cant be asked to do anything except pull out the race card
Rainfall
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Seen so many people do that and on another post like they’re like “this black baby is ugly”. And I’ve never seen a poor child that isn’t black being taken a picture with. Act as if Africa is soo poor
BlueIndigoViolet
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Rainfall)
Seen so many people do that and on another post like they’re like “this black baby is ugly”. And I’ve never seen a poor child that isn’t black being taken a picture with. Act as if Africa is soo poor
agree we should also highlight problems at home, but we cant generalise the continent as a whole, yes there are emerging middle classes in the biggest cities, however it contains some of the most underdeveloped places on earth (which maybe down to Europe and the Rape of Africa etc.)

although feel we should use our platforms to speak out against all these issues, not pulling out the race card, when it hurts people like David Lammy's sense of heritage, when there are genuine problems, shouldnt matter if she was white/brown/black or any shade in between.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
If comic relief go round showing a rich middle class, then they ain’t going to getting many donations.
Rainfall
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by BlueIndigoViolet)
agree we should also highlight problems at home, but we cant generalise the continent as a whole, yes there are emerging middle classes in the biggest cities, however it contains some of the most underdeveloped places on earth (which maybe down to Europe and the Rape of Africa etc.)

although feel we should use our platforms to speak out against all these issues, not pulling out the race card, when it hurts people like David Lammy's sense of heritage, when there are genuine problems, shouldnt matter if she was white/brown/black or any shade in between.
Pulling out the race card? At the end of the day, it is about race, it’s great that they’re helping but can’t they do it without all these pictures they’re taking with them? Rihanna does it privately. They can take pictures of other things and not poor black children. They want to be praised so bad
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by looloo2134)
But these middle-class people would not dream of helping at local FoodBank children home
Incorrect. Comic relief splits its money between projects in the UK and then poorer nations around the world. Mostly Africa and India. They have just as many reports on the UK projects of which there are hundreds they provide grants for.
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Rainfall)
Pulling out the race card? At the end of the day, it is about race, it’s great that they’re helping but can’t they do it without all these pictures they’re taking with them? Rihanna does it privately. They can take pictures of other things and not poor black children. They want to be praised so bad
If they dont do reports, then they dont raise awareness and people wonder where their money goes.
How exactly are you going to raise money for your charity or would that not be your aim?
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Andrew97)
If comic relief go round showing a rich middle class, then they ain’t going to getting many donations.
This goes to the heart of the issue. The problem the media have is that they've discovered in Stacey an authentic working class woman with a heart (and quite good looking in the bargain) and that ticks all the boxes in the current climate. Unfortunately however, like many authentic people, she has been partially absorbed into full media whoredom and has inevitably perhaps become part of the mediocracy and therefore essentially upper middle (or even upper) without her conscious acceptance of the role perhaps, but nonetheless. So now, when she is authentically sent to look authentic in troubled locations, she also can't help looking just a teensy bit wealthy and spoiled. It's all so inevitable. :sad:
Last edited by Fullofsurprises; 2 weeks ago
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
Incorrect. Comic relief splits its money between projects in the UK and then poorer nations around the world. Mostly Africa and India. They have just as many reports on the UK projects of which there are hundreds they provide grants for.
And out in the real world, away from the cameras, even people in prisons are collecting for foodbanks.
https://inews.co.uk/opinion/comment/...versal-credit/
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Report 2 weeks ago
And out in the real world, away from the cameras, even people in prisons are collecting for foodbanks.
https://inews.co.uk/opinion/comment/...versal-credit/
So what? Do you have a point?
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
it's a bit of a stretch to accuse people of Caribbean origin brought up in this country of being racist when they point out our racism
But he isn't doing that. He is being racist himself by trying to ban white people from helping Africans, on the basis of the supposed sins of their ancestors.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Good bloke)
But he isn't doing that. He is being racist himself by trying to ban white people from helping Africans, on the basis of the supposed sins of their ancestors.
I wonder if he really is. Or was he just after an instant namecheck in the meejah and a quick bit of stirring given that the target has been on Strictly? You decide.
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I wonder if he really is. Or was he just after an instant namecheck in the meejah and a quick bit of stirring given that the target has been on Strictly? You decide.
OK, He is being racist himself by trying to ban white people from helping Africans, on the basis of the supposed sins of their ancestors with the crass intention of seeking an instant namecheck in the media.

That is even worse, as he is behaving in a racist way for purely personal reasons of naked ambition. Not someone I would want in my circle.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (129)
17.94%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (73)
10.15%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (124)
17.25%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (104)
14.46%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (70)
9.74%
How can I be the best version of myself? (219)
30.46%

Watched Threads